The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The black bull too. I love a little weekend away up there, and being well out my area I get to try some stuff which doesn't travel too far yet.

Me and another chap from here wrote a weekend in Preston up for our local magazine.

The black bull too. I love a little weekend away up there, and being well out my area I get to try some stuff which doesn't travel too far yet.

Me and another chap from here wrote a weekend in Preston up for our local magazine.

Black Bull can be hit and miss, depends what's on and how it's travelled. Dog and Partridge would have previously been a shoe in for this list, but the Landlord Ronnie retired, Punch refurbed the pub and now it's a shell of it's former self. Ditto the New Britannia around the corner which has changed hands so many times, I'm not sure what it's running as these days. 

If you drive a trip out into the local surrounds throws up a plethora of local microbrewerys and pubs, quality is usually very good. Moonstone and Bowland's starting to establish themselves in Burnley, Clitheroe and local areas

• Paid Members

Aye, like the idea of a beer directory. Will jot up a few for Bath and Trowbridge in a bit.

Salisbury: Salisbury Arms is my favourite joint here. Cracking craft beer on tap, particularly like Freedom Four, which is a good session beer. Also does the best burgers I have had outside of a high end restaurants. Great selection of Bourbon too, which is a boon for me.

Danny's: Horrible hipster decor aside, this place is top. Best beer selection in Salisbury including the superb Wolf Rock on tap. The terrible seats damage your arse though and the food is pretty standard. Does ping pong.

Wig and Quill: More traditional pub run by Wadsworths, so 6X served well. High end pub food which I know ks of a good quality because my mate Pirate Jim works in the kitchen. Pool table too

Any recommendations on pubs to visit in Leeds? Looking mainly at getting a good ale. Have looked online & have also been a few times. We're going to be heading to Northern Monk Brewery as our hotel is close by & sample a few.

You can't go far wrong with the pubs near the train station - Tapped, The Head Of Steam, Bundobust, Friends of Ham, Leeds Brewery Tap. Also Brewdog is nearby and Mr Foleys Ale House.

• Paid Members

Any recommendations on pubs to visit in Leeds? Looking mainly at getting a good ale. Have looked online & have also been a few times. We're going to be heading to Northern Monk Brewery as our hotel is close by & sample a few.

Don't want to sound like that guy but asking for pub recommendations and saying you're looking for a good ale is akin to asking for restaurant recommendations and saying you're looking for a good meat dish. Ale can be anything from a 3% pale bitter to an 11% imperial stout.

I'll make up for that pedantry by suggesting North Bar: http://www.northbar.com/ :)  :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

So where in brum can you get a good pint of mild? I'm now on a quest to find a decent pint wherever I go.

The Wellington is good: http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

Short distance from New Street, Moor Street and Snow Hill stations.

The also maintain an online list of the beers they've currently got on: http://wellington.dns-systems.net/pages/beerboard.php

Edit: They've currently even got a mild on. (Number 11).

Edited by Chunk

Pig on the wall is mild as well isn't it? They always have that on. The Craven has Pig too, and if you're feeling adventurous then Eddie Fitzpatrick in the Lamp has Hobsons mild and is a legend. He got thrown down the stairs in the riots and his life was saved by a box of crisps http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/attacked-digbeth-landlord-tells-how-161235

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...