The Pubbers Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I was in the Mill, Cefn Mawr this evening. 3D TV, yet still an outhouse to piss in. Well priced, brass fittings, decent banter as well.

Clubbing is for gays and seals, pubbing is for men. Let's discuss where adults drink here.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not sure whether it's being in a decent relationship or getting old but 99% of the time I'm happier sitting in a proper pub than being in a trendy bar. Started going in my lady's old mans local..The Hop Pole on a Saturday night. They've usually either got Karaoke or a covers band on, it's packed with people aged 17 to 75, the beer's really good (the old boys wont stand for a shit pint), inexpensive, 40p for pool & pork scratchings from the butchers, none of that foil packeted 'Mr Porky' shite.

I still like going out to bars now & again and beasting on pissed up teenagers but I'm a lot less enthusiastic about queuing up to get in anywhere, having somewhere to sit is now also a bit more important than it was 5-6 years ago. Give me a windowed pint pot with a handle on it & I'm well happy.

I can't underestimate the importance of a well stocked jukebox either, the most democratic way to enjoy music when out. Also, Quiz machine > Fruities.

Pubs shit all over clubs. They really do.

I'll be frequenting The Gate Inn tonight. A game of darts, a couple of quid in the jukebox and a bit of Sky HD TV. It beats standing in the pitch black under flashing lights, not being able to hear yourself think.

Max Power - 28 going on 55.

There's a very nice pub near where I live called The Clockwork so if I fancy a drink or two, that's usually where I go. They also serve proper pub food and sometimes they have the big screen showing footie or whatever.

• Moderators

This has reminded me of a visit to a new pub a couple weeks ago where I had the most awesome bit of food.. It was like a gourmet Chorizo Scotch Egg. Man it was so fucking good! Spicy, the breadcrumb wasn't too heavy, the egg was perfectly done. I need to go back for another sometime.

Good pub food really is tremendous.

• Paid Members
This has reminded me of a visit to a new pub a couple weeks ago where I had the most awesome bit of food.. It was like a gourmet Chorizo Scotch Egg. Man it was so fucking good! Spicy, the breadcrumb wasn't too heavy, the egg was perfectly done. I need to go back for another sometime.

Good pub food really is tremendous.

Where was that?

• Paid Members
The Victoria Inn on Bellenden Road (lol) in Peckham.

What a road name. But the very sound of that Scotch (or perhaps Spanish) egg is tempting enough for me to make the pilgrimage to Sahf London.

Just need to remember where I put my passport - they won't let me cross the Thames without it.

• Paid Members

I frequent The Woolpack in Norwich these days, mainly when they've got football on the box. Match days along Riverside are good fun pub wise as you get to have a bit of a sing song. I'm also a regular at the Glass House which is also a whetherspoons. 'Spoons food goes down well with me so its a regular meeting point with the rest of the crew for lunchtimes at Uni, being as Uni is only down the road.

My 'local' as it were is the Roman's Return in Upper Sheringham by the coast on a holiday campsite type of deal. That's where I was effectively brought up and educated in an all manner of things such as drink, women, and playing pool like an absolute demon. Back in my junior days I was back to back champion in 2002 and 2003, still the only person to achieve such a glorious feat. Add a double's runners up (adult) trophy to that list. My Mam incidentally is a multiple time ladies champion, which has meant many a good piss up with the rest of the folks there.

Whilst obviously not my local, I made some great friends there on my holidays growing up and we all hit legal drinking age roughly the same time, so we started coming to Sheringham from various other locations not just for holidays, but plenty of boozed up weekends throughout the year by the lovely Norfolk coastline. Champion. Plus, because the parents didn't come down every weekend we pretty much ruled the roost with regards to our static caravans (More like second homes!) so it was a nice retreat for us to either drink, bring a bird back, or both. I can't wait to head back down there at Easter. The fanny has dried up there now since my youth, but the booze will keep on coming.

I live in poncey Chorlton in Manchester, on the main drag, so there are about 25 bars within half a mile of my apartment. However I live next door to a decent Pub so I go there instead of all the trendy places. There are a couple of exceptions though, Pi has a wicked selection of beers, my favourite being this

Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen 5.1% 500ml

• Paid Members

I've got a love/hate relationship with Whetherspoons. On the plus side they have some excellent guest ales on, their 'beer festival' is great & obviously the prices are the key selling point. Any more than two pints in there though & I'm reaching for the razor blades. Old men steaming at the bar, dialysis machines next to them spending their last quid on the next half a pint. Add to that the lack of music & it can get grim pretty quickly.

The worst 'spoons in my experience is the one on Piccadilly in Manchester. Swarms of boozehounds waiting for the shutters to open in the morning like 'The Walking Dead'.

The worst 'spoons in my experience is the one on Piccadilly in Manchester. Swarms of boozehounds waiting for the shutters to open in the morning like 'The Walking Dead'.

Yeah, it's grim as fuck that one, nice stench of weed outside it though.

Archived