The Pubbers Thread

PowerButchi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewdog in Glasgow just opposite the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Amazing craft brew bar where they stock mainly their own beer on tap. The brewery is a microbrewery north of Aberdeen and is just a great tasting and unique offering from the usual mainstream beer.

I've liked the Brewdog beers i've had, but they try way too hard to be edgy and distance themselves from CAMRA and more traditional real ale. My taste probably leans more towards their style of beers than the traditional, but i'm still a CAMRA member and really appreciate what they do. They are at different ends of the spectrum but both surely want the same thing when it comes down to it. It puts me off going in Brewdog places a bit that have/are going to be opening round our way.

Even more off-topic I think it's terrible that Heineken are the ONLY beer supplier at Olympic venues and as such will have a version of John Smith's smooth labeled as "British Bitter" or something. Now i'm not daft and know the way the world works but it seems a damn shame that with a bit of a brewery boom and countless good beers in Britain that this is what will represent such a traditional industry to the rest of the world. I'm not saying some rare 8% IPA should be there but even something as widely avaible as London Pride would have been great. Anyway i'm sure this has been a boring sidetrack for everyone :laugh:

• Paid Members

I've been championing Brewdog for a while & absolutely love their beers but I totally get what you're saying about them trying a little too much to distance themselves from the CAMRA image. The thing is that they really don't have to, every time I've been in Brewdog Edinburgh or Manchester it's been busy with a really wide demographic of customers.

I live in Crewe & for the most part the pubs in town are empty, apart from the 2 or 3 that offer a selection of cask/guest ales (and Whetherspoons but for different reasons). The people drinking in them is far removed from the traditional 'socks & sandals' CAMRA crowd. With times being tough & it getting increasingly pricier to go out drinking I firmly believe people are being more selective about what & where they drink. Unless you're going out on the pull it seems that peeps (around here at least) are looking for quality beer rather than Beck Vier or whatever piss is being served that they could get a crate of on offer from ASDA.

Yeah I agree with most of that. They really don't need to, especially now with more and more 'craft' beer being brewed over here and I totally agree with the last point, it does seem to be a trend. Also the only place I see the stereotypical and old image of ale drinkers is at the beer festivals and they are in the minority now. There's nothing wrong with them but it's good that the image has been mostly shed and it attracks a wider audience, hence the huge rise in breweries. There aren't many businesses you'd want to get into at the moment, but if you do it well real ale is probably one of them.

5am Saint, Trashy Blonde, 77 Lager and Zeitgeist are all my favourites from Brewdog.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd stick this in here rather than start a new thread but after years of not bothering with them, I fucking love Monday teatimes in the pub

I've always tried to stop in Sundays and Mondays then go out on the Tuesday but after being asked if I was out for a few the other week, I actually look forward to Mondays in the pub more than any other day now, suppose it's down to it being a drink after the first day back at work combined with a belting barmaid and the absence of the midweek Giro crew

Anyone else changed their pub routine (if they have one) for the better recently?

• Paid Members

I used to like a Monday night in the pub. Rarely get a chance these days.

Monday afternoon (the Monday club) is busy round here. Often people will take a half day on Monday and a couple of the pubs are heaving all afternoon.

Looking forward to Wetherspoons having its freshers week offers on in all of the Glasgow city pubs for the uni freshers. They make the offers open to all people not just uni students.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone on here recommend The Euston Tap pub in London as a venue to visit? I have heard it has a vast array of taps on the wall with lots of foreign obscure beers to try.

Archived