The Pubbers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm far too old for clubbing now, so I go down to the Donaghmede Inn in Dublin where everybody knows the size of your junk because of the way the urinals are next to the door. I love it there though, and of a Sunday, the whole pub smells like sour plop and Domestos. Even when you're taking a slug of your pint, the glass somehow smells of old man undercarriage.

Great place for football and horse racing too. Bookies right upstairs...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Norwich has three Whetherspoons branded pubs. The riverside one is quite pleasant outside of matchdays and night-times/weekends in general where you get all the clubbers who make it their first meeting place before moving onto Mercy and the like. The Bell near the Castle Mall is an absolute dive and always filled with proper filth. The Glass House is easily the most pleasant of the the three overall.

There are two in King's Lynn, one being the Globe hotel, which is always full of Lynn townie scum types. On a Friday or Saturday night, it takes about 30 minutes to get served and there never seems to be many bar staff on. In stark contrast, merely a quick walk across the market place carpark and through the alley by the bank is another 'Spoons called the Lattice House, which is absolutely lovely. I think it's been redeveloped in an old Tudor style building of somekind. It's not the most spacious because of this but then it's virtually never packed. Unlike the Globe at weekends which may as well be a shitty club, at the Lattice conversation flows just as nicely as the drink.

Has anyone been to Elland Road for the footie at Leeds? Any pubs you'd reccomend there for travelling fans? We're there next weekend.

Edit: Just had a text from someone at uni asking if I fancy doing lunch at the Glass House! Strange how great minds think alike.

• Paid Members
The worst 'spoons in my experience is the one on Piccadilly in Manchester. Swarms of boozehounds waiting for the shutters to open in the morning like 'The Walking Dead'.

Yeah, it's grim as fuck that one, nice stench of weed outside it though.

Have you ever been in? It's like that bit in An American Werewolf In London - everyone really does turn round and stare, presumably because they've never seen someone whose knuckles don't drag along the floor.

The worst 'spoons in my experience is the one on Piccadilly in Manchester. Swarms of boozehounds waiting for the shutters to open in the morning like 'The Walking Dead'.

Yeah, it's grim as fuck that one, nice stench of weed outside it though.

Have you ever been in? It's like that bit in An American Werewolf In London - everyone really does turn round and stare, presumably because they've never seen someone whose knuckles don't drag along the floor.

Yeah been in it a few times, usually after work on a Friday. Don't go there so much since a bird I work with got caught shagging in the toilets. No it wasn't with me.

I love a good pub.

My requirement list for a decent pub:

1) Decent tables with upholstered chairs/benches that look at least 25 years old, and are preferably dark red

2) No music, or at the very least music at just above inaudible. I come to talk and read, not bust up my earrdrums.

3) Good food. I know the pub purist looks down on gastro-pubs, but fuck it - there's nothing better than a fucking great meal in a pub with a pint followed by the papers on a Sunday afternoon.

4) Good bitter. Stuff from small breweries, and preferably a decent IPA.

5) Proper men's toilets. The ones that are just above freezing, tiled from top to bottom, and with one working cold tap and no towels. That's what trousers are for.

6) End of the Bar. The local lads propping up the bar, just able to stay on their barstool. These guys keep the pub in business, so treat them with respect.

7) Darts board that looks like the Somme.

8) Pool table. The dart board may be fucked, but the baize should be immaculate. For extra marks, it should be a bar billiards table instead.

9) A roaring fire

10)The landlord's daughter should have a rack like a baker's display case.

Sadly, pubs that fulfil all these requirements tend to be found in small villages in the depths of nowhere which mean you have to drive to them, thus rendering the whole thing fairly pointless. I was on a stag do recently up in Scotland, and the local village hotel had a bar that was spot on. I wish I could find somewhere as basic and full of human goodness as that in Guildford.

• Paid Members
I frequent The Woolpack in Norwich these days, mainly when they've got football on the box. Match days along Riverside are good fun pub wise as you get to have a bit of a sing song. I'm also a regular at the Glass House which is also a whetherspoons. 'Spoons food goes down well with me so its a regular meeting point with the rest of the crew for lunchtimes at Uni, being as Uni is only down the road.

Never been to the Woolpack.

Riverside Weathers is fine unless you go matchday or Friday/Saturday nights, when it's packed, usually full of cunts.

You're right about the Bell being a dive, the Wetherspoons in Boston is a shithole as well.

Norwich has a few decent pubs. I used to frequent the Murders Arms, with it's awesome pictures of murderers and fucking massive screen for the football. Shame the men's toilets is horrible.

Fat Cat is great, excellent ciders and ales. Ribs of Beef, Ten Bells and the Mischief are all nice, small pubs. Compleat Angler wasn't bad, but I've only been there once.

I prefer pubs to clubs because you can actually have a conversation.

• Paid Members

I frequent the Rumsey Wells in Norwich. I want my Ale in a mug and they're one of the few places that oblige. Plus an old school limited selection Jukebox always helps. Those downloading ones are too easy.

Haven't been clubbing in 4 years since meeting the missus. The appeal was lost once I settled down. The only point in going was to find women, and I always preffered pubs anyway.

I miss real pubs - where I live in Suffolk, we're really lucky that there are still quite alot in the sticks but these seem to closing down at a rate of knots. I've always preferred pubs over clubs and have been drinking in them since I was 15, when I was on 'study leave' for my GCSE's (here in carrot crunching country they don't give a shit about your age they just want your money!) fueled by illicit money made by selling pirated Wrestling videos through the back of PS.

We eventually moved onto another pub which was an over 21's when we were only 18, I think the landlord liked our balls and we stayed there for about 3 years, going in there every night. We even rented an upstairs office for storage and somewhere to crash if we needed too. This place was awesome - they had the best live music twice a week, chilli nights and curry nights (all you can eat for a

• Paid Members

I'm meant to be heading to the pub tonight to meet old friends. We haven't all been in the same room since my mates wedding reception a few months back. Looking forward to chatting away about crap. Hopefully we pop into 'spoons as there is a bar maid there who is after some disappointing genetal clattering.

The best pub locally is The Crown. Nice warm fire, Sky Sports, pool table and the toilet works. It's generally filled with charming old men who know a few good dirty jokes too.

• Paid Members
Sadly, pubs that fulfil all these requirements tend to be found in small villages in the depths of nowhere which mean you have to drive to them, thus rendering the whole thing fairly pointless.

This is my main gripe. There's an awesome pub about 8miles out of town from where I live that has loads of great guest ales, ciders from local farms (all about 8 volts) & lagers from around the world. My mate's the chef there & they serve traditional dishes all locally sourced (the game pie is quality) but it's

Has anyone been to Elland Road for the footie at Leeds? Any pubs you'd reccomend there for travelling fans? We're there next weekend.

The Angel Inn in the city centre is a cracking little pub. It's hidden away off the high street, but it's a very good pub. I don't drink myself, but the guy I drum with is a bit of a beer connoisseur and seems to know his stuff. It's fairly cheap in there and they do a range of hand-pulled stuff.

I actually prefer going to a pub than clubs, which seems to defeat part of the purpose of being a student. You can actually sit down in a pub though and have a drink and some good conversation with people (obviously depending on who you're with). I'm a fan of the Packhorse, which is just over the road from Leeds Uni and is a frequent spot for a drink after drumming on a Wednesday. We've had some cracking conversation there. Students come in with their fancy dress as part of the giant pub crawl, but they tend to only stick around for 20 minutes.

Whenever we have a social and go off wandering into the Yorkshire Dales for the day, we always seem to stumble across some little pubs. They might be a bit out of the way, but they do some brilliant food!

Wetherspoons can be a bit of an arse for me. The one at Leeds train station is pretty good and on my way back from uni (if I make the slight detour). Some of the staff there are pretty cool people and we had a laugh about asking me for ID in exchange for a coke and some cheese and onion crisps. Wetherspoons in Liverpool is shite though. They took over one of the pubs near my old school and refurbished it, and they seemed to hate our custom despite the fact we were all 18. They always seemed to change the rules regarding asking for ID (one day, they'd be fine with us going there for lunch and the next, the same person could ask us for ID irrespective of the fact that none of us were drinking) so we told them to fuck off and went to better pubs.

Tend to use The Heroes of Waterlooville. Former Gales pub (now Fullers), with a decent range of beer; HSB, Chiswick, ESB, Pride. Bit pricey, but that keeps the shite away. Decent pool table, good dart board, and staff who use the place as well (always a good sign I think). Only problem I find is, we have 5 or 6 breweries within about 10 miles, but no where locally serves them. I've got to hike into Pompey down to the Hole in the Wall (CAMRA pub of the year SE Hants) for all the Oakleaf, Havant Brewery, Irvings, and others I can imbibe.

And to follow the theme - My ideal pub should have:

1) At least one rotating guest, preferably local or new brew, adn 2, maybe 3 house ales.

2) Barstaff who know what they are selling - Wetherspoons take note, a cheatsheet is not the same as true brew knowledge.

3) If they are going to have music, at least make it unobtrusive, or install a decent jukebox with a decent spread of genres.

4) Food - Proper pub grub, not ping cuisine. Even if it only extends to a half decent burger with proper chips, or fish and chips.

5) Real cider - Cider does not end at Strongbow...make the effort to get a half decent local cider or perry (bottles are fine, it doesn't have to be racked and stilled.)

6) A pool table you would be happy to eat your dinner off, relay your table more than once a year and use the damn brushes! Pool cues and chalk are included in this, even if a deposit is needed.

7) Same with darts - Have a half decent board, doesn't need to be PDC championship quality, but at least make sure it doesn't look like it was used as target practice by the Army!

8) Smoking areas - If you are going to have one, make an effort. Even if it's just a garden umbrella and a cheap picnic table.

9) Bogs - Just keep them clean, they don't have to be palacial, just clean and functional. Preferably a hand dryer that isn't akin to an asthmatic in a sauna.

10) Soft Drinks - Some people don't drink, or can't drink, don't insult their intelligence by charging stupid prices for soft drinks.

• Paid Members
I frequent The Woolpack in Norwich these days, mainly when they've got football on the box. Match days along Riverside are good fun pub wise as you get to have a bit of a sing song. I'm also a regular at the Glass House which is also a whetherspoons. 'Spoons food goes down well with me so its a regular meeting point with the rest of the crew for lunchtimes at Uni, being as Uni is only down the road.

Never been to the Woolpack.

Riverside Weathers is fine unless you go matchday or Friday/Saturday nights, when it's packed, usually full of cunts.

You're right about the Bell being a dive, the Wetherspoons in Boston is a shithole as well.

Norwich has a few decent pubs. I used to frequent the Murders Arms, with it's awesome pictures of murderers and fucking massive screen for the football. Shame the men's toilets is horrible.

Fat Cat is great, excellent ciders and ales. Ribs of Beef, Ten Bells and the Mischief are all nice, small pubs. Compleat Angler wasn't bad, but I've only been there once.

I prefer pubs to clubs because you can actually have a conversation.

All good shouts in Norwich. I tended to visit the Murderers and Ten Bells more in my first year, whereas in the last couple of years as the workload has increased I tend to narrow it down to either the Glass House or the Woolpack out of habit these days. I disagree slightly about the Mischief, it's not bad but often the clientele in there leave a lot to be desired.

I frequent the Rumsey Wells in Norwich. I want my Ale in a mug and they're one of the few places that oblige. Plus an old school limited selection Jukebox always helps. Those downloading ones are too easy.

Another good shout. I went a couple of weeks ago with some graduates from last year that I hadn't seen in a while. We initially went for a couple and a couple turned into a skinfull! I love those kind of drinking sessions. Nothing heavy, but just nice and relaxing to the point where you say 'sod it, why move on? I'm comfortable here'.

The Angel Inn in the city centre is a cracking little pub. It's hidden away off the high street, but it's a very good pub. I don't drink myself, but the guy I drum with is a bit of a beer connoisseur and seems to know his stuff. It's fairly cheap in there and they do a range of hand-pulled stuff.

Cheers, may well pay the place a visit depending on how we're doing for time on the day.

I live in the countryside, plenty of old style pubs near me. Home brews and no music rules are standard.

Much prefer pubs than clubs! I do love a pub with good glasses in it, not those kind of glasses that try too hard. I enjoy a good old pint pot to sup your Moose Drool out of, or whatever the local tipple might be!

stock-photo-pint-of-english-bitter-1074414.jpg

Anyone in the Manchester area, I strongly reccomend The Knott Bar. Even if you're not in the area, it's right near Deansgate train station has a wide selection of bottled beers from all over the world and always an interesting selection of real ales on tap too. Jukebox and food at the ready, no snooker or pool tables though. You'll have to entertain yourself!

Archived