The Pubbers Thread

PowerButchi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
What's the thinking on that most divisive of pubs, Wetherspoons?

I like a Wetherspoons, you know what your getting for the most part.

The best/worst thing I've seen in a weatherspoons was an old bloke, looked in his 80's, collapse at the bar and they weren't allowed to help him until the ambulance arrived so they just served people leaning over him while he finished his pint slumped on the floor.

Floated around a couple of unwelcoming pubs for a couple of years before settling on Wetherspoons in my home town, there isn't really a whole lot of choice. Then at the start of 2010 an old pub was taken over by new managment and 'The North Wales Inn' became a great place to see a bit of local music, varied dukebox which was then replaced with Spotify, Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison and Hendrix posters on the wall and a pool table. It was also the place where you could piss about a bit and not get horrible snarls for being closer to your teen years than your 30's. But then it closed. So it's back to Wethers.

As for Liverpool, where I'm a student I really don't tend to bother with the pubs as nothing that I have seen city center wise has impressed me much thus far and it doesn't take much so thats saying something! Tend to just drinks round mates flats and go for the occasional trip into town now.

I frequent The Woolpack in Norwich these days, mainly when they've got football on the box. Match days along Riverside are good fun pub wise as you get to have a bit of a sing song. I'm also a regular at the Glass House which is also a whetherspoons. 'Spoons food goes down well with me so its a regular meeting point with the rest of the crew for lunchtimes at Uni, being as Uni is only down the road.

Never been to the Woolpack.

Riverside Weathers is fine unless you go matchday or Friday/Saturday nights, when it's packed, usually full of cunts.

You're right about the Bell being a dive, the Wetherspoons in Boston is a shithole as well.

Norwich has a few decent pubs. I used to frequent the Murders Arms, with it's awesome pictures of murderers and fucking massive screen for the football. Shame the men's toilets is horrible.

Fat Cat is great, excellent ciders and ales. Ribs of Beef, Ten Bells and the Mischief are all nice, small pubs. Compleat Angler wasn't bad, but I've only been there once.

I prefer pubs to clubs because you can actually have a conversation.

You were doing so well until you got to the Ten Bells. Easily one of the biggest dives in the city, just a mess of an establishment in my experience.

When I used to drink in the city, I used to frequent the Belgian Monk, nice little pub with a friendly atmosphere. Generally try and avoid Prince of Wales if I'm out at night up there these days. Last time I went out I was in the Glasshouse most of the evening, good pub. Knowhere on the other hand, jeez....

• Paid Members
Pubs. I love pubs. My main locals are The Lord Palmerstons and The Fountain, both in Tottenham.

When I feel like I want to pretend I'm not from the streetz, I hit Crouch End and ponce it up in one of any number of pubs there.

I was also in the pub last night.

I love pubs.

Pointless fact, I once saw Winston Silcott in The Fountain.

I love this thread. Have you noticed that girls don't go to pubs anymore? At all. It's straight from Costa Coffee to Oceana. Pubs rule. A random scally accosted me yesterday at one. I feared for my wallet. He just wanted a game of pool. Hell yes!

• Paid Members

A random pair of Scousers once accosted me and my mate for a game of darts in our local down in the Black Country. They looked both pretty decent. Tom played like crap and I kept getting the odd 80 or 100 to keep us close. We got down to 110 and I joked to Tom to do T20 Bull to win us the game, and the glory-hogging bastard did as well, after playing crap the whole game.

Still, the look on their faces was textbook. They do though, don't they though?

Massive pub fan here. Much better than clubbing. Was in one last night, then decided to pop down earlier before the football started, and I'll be there again tonight. Our local, the Port n Ale, is a cracking pub, no pool table but a decent outside area for the smokers, a dart board riddled with holes and a great selection of ales. They have 2 regulars and about 3 or 4 different guests every couple of weeks. They also serve IPA bitter, which is the single greatest drink ever. I like to go on the cider during the summer and go out into the beergarden, and luckily they serve Westons alongside the more typical Strongbow. 8.2%, Westons is. Proper rocket fuel. We don't have a TV there though, but I don't mind too much - TVs can sometimes attract the wrong kind of wankers. We've got a decent quizzie and a bandit though, which One-Armed Bri always cleans out.

Our lads - theres usually about 8 of us, sometimes going up to like 20-30 depending on the occasion - get on really well with the older fellas in there too. Proper old-school, salt of the earth men, ex-Army types. Thankfully they don't look down on the 4 of us in the group that are students!

I don't mind Wetherspoons for the most part - was in the Spoons up Newcastle-under-Lyme last Wednesday,

On the subject of ladies in pubs, imagine my shock and delight, when stood at the bar waiting for my HSB, a young lady, no older than 23 ordered a pint of Pride and a straight Pussers chaser. Ended up having a long chat about beer and navy rum, ended up with a long kiss goodbye, a phone number and promise of a date. The beer gods were shining upon me!

• Paid Members
I frequent The Woolpack in Norwich these days, mainly when they've got football on the box. Match days along Riverside are good fun pub wise as you get to have a bit of a sing song. I'm also a regular at the Glass House which is also a whetherspoons. 'Spoons food goes down well with me so its a regular meeting point with the rest of the crew for lunchtimes at Uni, being as Uni is only down the road.

Never been to the Woolpack.

Riverside Weathers is fine unless you go matchday or Friday/Saturday nights, when it's packed, usually full of cunts.

You're right about the Bell being a dive, the Wetherspoons in Boston is a shithole as well.

Norwich has a few decent pubs. I used to frequent the Murders Arms, with it's awesome pictures of murderers and fucking massive screen for the football. Shame the men's toilets is horrible.

Fat Cat is great, excellent ciders and ales. Ribs of Beef, Ten Bells and the Mischief are all nice, small pubs. Compleat Angler wasn't bad, but I've only been there once.

I prefer pubs to clubs because you can actually have a conversation.

You were doing so well until you got to the Ten Bells. Easily one of the biggest dives in the city, just a mess of an establishment in my experience.

When I used to drink in the city, I used to frequent the Belgian Monk, nice little pub with a friendly atmosphere. Generally try and avoid Prince of Wales if I'm out at night up there these days. Last time I went out I was in the Glasshouse most of the evening, good pub. Knowhere on the other hand, jeez....

I did Knowhere last night and immediatley regretted said decision. Absolute fucking garbage. Also, The Office just at the top of Prince of Wales Road is hideously overpriced, incredibly rude and lazy barstaff and an absolute joke when it comes to music. They had a tape/CD on a loop so you had the same songs playing after every 70 minutes or so. I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't a pal's leaving do at work. Even more incredulously, we ventured down to the Waterfront afterwards to be greeted with a

Made a glaring omission yesterday.

Bakers Arms in Lychett Matravers is a quality pub. Part of the Vintage Inns chain, a wonderful country pub feel, good selection of beers and food is top quality. Plus the owner is amazing. For christmas this year my mum booked a table for three at the Bakers Arms for me, her and my granny, but cause of snow and ice my granny didn't make it. We got there on Christmas day, the owner greeted us and we said 'oh one of us couldn't make it' and he refunded the money right there and then. He didn't have to but he did anyway. Nice bloke.

Can anybody help me out? Living in Newcastle-under-Lyme next Uni year and just wondering if anybody knew any good pubs around that area? Stoke and Hanley too. There's gotta be some better pubs than the awful student bars at Keele.

Similarly, what about Worcester? We're doing a pub-crawl weekend up there at the end of March. I've heard there are some cracking pubs up there - when I went before, I enjoyed it - but if anybody can recommend a decent drinking hole then let me know. Cheers.

In Glasgow it tends to be the Bon Accord. Always has 10 ales on and generally rotates nine of them I think (deuchars being the only constant). Good food and you can get a 2 course lunch for a fiver. Also has a quiz night and a whisky night. They have literally hundreds of malts and always a malt of the month at 1.80 or so.

Recently found the Station bar just off saucihall street that had plenty of ales on a bit cheaper than the bon accord and some decent live music. The three judges, lismore, Counting House (Wetherpoons) and Tennents are all good choices too.

My main criteria are ale selection, lack of music (unless live) and the interior looking at least 30 years old.

Archived