The Pubbers Thread

PowerButchi

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are those horse brasses behind the bar? Class.

Many, many years ago I had a proper local and had my own tankard behind the bar. That's something you just don't see any more, having your own tankard. or tankards generally. Mine's at home, gathering dust.

The only time I had a tankard was one that I won. I won the league singles tournament in the darts league and instead of a shitty trophy, I got a tankard which went behind the bar. Every time I had a pint, I was drinking out of a tankard that had "Coventry Friday Night singles winner, Keith Houchen" engraved on it (well,not Keith Houchen but you get the gist).

I was a celeb in that place, like a dog with two dicks.

• Paid Members

Yep, horse brasses the works. Home made 'Gloucester Old Spot' Pork Pies behind the bar too.

The beer's great. If you're a lager drinker I think they do Becks as the mainstream pish but you've also got Bitberger, Erdinger, Budvar, Budvar Black & Budvar Mixed on tap. The guest ales change month in month out. They've never got less than 8 guests on & they're up on a blackboard with a brief description on where they're from & the type of ale. I was mainly drinking Sneck Lifter but had a pint of Tattons Gold too which was nice.

I don

Birmingham offers a few decent pubs, when I'm in the mood for a night of food and sitting I'll usually head to The Old Joint Stock, a pie and ale house where where an Organic Honeydew and a steak & stilton go down a treat. After finishing that off there's not far to walk to the back entrance of The Wellington (they share the same smoking area), where you can get a ridiculous amount of real ales and (so I've been told) some pretty tasty ciders. Both pubs turn into sardine tins when the offices kick out on a Friday, but with good reason.

If I'm feeling a bit trendier I'll usually head down to The Victoria or the Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath, both have maintained the old school pub vibe but also host live music in their upstairs rooms. The Vic especially has some top beer on hand.

Still struggle for a decent place to watch sport after about 5 years of living here, have to head to Broad St/Arcadian when I want to see a match, anyone got any tips?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

During my commuting around the Sheffield and Leeds train stations I visited a couple of pubs there wihle waiting for the trains. The Sheffield Tap station pub is pretty awful, maybe it was just me. It's mostly local beers and ales, some of which I'm sure were alright but the 'Bernard' delicacy didn't exactly sit well with my tastebuds, nor some of the ale that was on offer (I forget the name) which left a nasty aftertaste.

In contrast to that, the White Rose pub at Leeds station was quite nice and mostly friendly, quite well put together with some nice railway decorations and pictures and the like. I didn't bother with the Wetherspoons as it was full of drunken Leeds supporters, fair enough I guess.

Last year I was down in Sheffield for a work thing and stopped into the Tap for a pint before my train left. I must say I thought it was very good and was very impressed with the beer range. Think I had an ale that I'm fairly sure was new to me but if you say that they're all local ones then maybe people from the area would find them less exotic.

I particularly appreciated the way the door actually opens on to the platform so we could maximise our drinking time.

• Paid Members
During my commuting around the Sheffield and Leeds train stations I visited a couple of pubs there wihle waiting for the trains. The Sheffield Tap station pub is pretty awful, maybe it was just me. It's mostly local beers and ales, some of which I'm sure were alright but the 'Bernard' delicacy didn't exactly sit well with my tastebuds, nor some of the ale that was on offer (I forget the name) which left a nasty aftertaste.

In contrast to that, the White Rose pub at Leeds station was quite nice and mostly friendly, quite well put together with some nice railway decorations and pictures and the like. I didn't bother with the Wetherspoons as it was full of drunken Leeds supporters, fair enough I guess.

Poor observation. The Sheffield Tap is tremendous, and has beers from all corners of the world. It's a superb, unusual little pub. Highly recommend it, especially if passing through Sheffield by rail.

I was in The Lass o Gowrie last night in Manchester. Cracking little pub. Conventional, but definitely not a bar.

Plus they have a Pac Man machine (amongst others!).

My favourite pub (Dulcimer in Chorlton) has shut down though. They served the most epic cheeseboards :(

• Paid Members

Poor observation. The Sheffield Tap is tremendous, and has beers from all corners of the world. It's a superb, unusual little pub. Highly recommend it, especially if passing through Sheffield by rail.

May have just been the particular delicacies at the time that left me feeling a bit raw. I'd still hardly call it superb, a bit too grubby for my liking. Miserable bar staff to boot. Plus, no warmth. I'd sooner sit in the Burger King and wait for my train that way.

• Paid Members

I'm always game for a couple of pints, some pig snacks and a football match on a Tuesday or Wednesday but can't really be doing with it on a Friday night, would much rather go to a bar or club. I have a good balance though, and appreciate the pub for what it is.

• Paid Members

I have a pub in my conservatory. The downside is it is also a play room for the kids and has killed the pub. A couple of Christmas's ago my Wife brought me a bar. We had a garage then so her dad decorated it. Put wood half way up the wall's looked like a proper old mans pub it was fucking ace. Had two sofas and two bar stools. A stella pump this was merley for show as it did not work and an optics thing that could hold four bottles.

She went to town on it. She found an old giant pub ashtray got fuck loads of glases a fridge had nuts on the wall and Blackburn Rovers beer mats. A dart board and on the wall bottle opener.

Since we moved it is still used now and then but just sits in my conservatory the kids think its great but because of space I have no bar stools just a big wooden bar with loads of glasses. Because of the amount of shelves on it as well the Wife has decided this is now storage space. I still have my dart board though and a HD telly in conservatory and my 360 shame my pub is not what it once was.

I started clubbing at 15 because my borther was a DJ still is as it goes and I could get in every where carrying his bags. I got bored of clubbing by the time I was 21. I did venture to a club a few yew years ago though. I went to London for my uncle's funeral on the way back having had a few beers i thought it would be a cracking idea to go to a club. Was about 12 O'Clock I was wearing suit. I was let straight in had a couple of pints but it was too fucking loud so I left and got KFC.

• Paid Members
Both of these styles of pub can fuck off - a proper British pub is about drinking, talking, eating and possibly fighting.

Hear, hear.

50496_6404633590_902_n.jpg

I love a proper pub. Anywhere where you need to wipe your feet on the way out.

I love those occasions when my other half is working away and so I've got the house to myself. Instead of bloating up on the evening meal by 8pm and then having to "talk", I can thoroughly neglect myself, coming in from work (and not having to worry about picking her up from the train station at half-six and getting the dinner underway), chuck some food at the cat, pick up a book (though not a thick one, because I don't want a kicking) and head off to one of the five pubs within ten minutes' walk for an evening subsisting on crisps, scratchings, and ale. Absolutely fantastic. I don't know how anyone could prefer a poncy bar over a real pub.

• 1 year later...
My favourite pub (Dulcimer in Chorlton) has shut down though. They served the most epic cheeseboards :(

A Ridiculous bump to say, Rhys, The Dulcimer has been reopened for a while now. I won the quiz there a few weeks back, proper quiz it was as well. The quizmaster didn't use a mic and spoke as if he was Ollie Reed. Didn't think I'd like him but the respect he has for the quiz is to be applauded. No talking, no phones. A couple of pints of Paulaner per round and complimentary peanuts. Lovely quiz.

Archived