The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
On 11/27/2018 at 7:33 AM, tiger_rick said:

What puzzles me is how they still put out a pretty good show on Tuesdays. Obviously they do great stuff with NXT and it's spin offs but that's a different setup. But the same people are writing a decent show while simultaneously writing an awful one. How can that be? It's not as simple as 3 hours. 

Apart from the obvious reasons of 3 hours/Vince having his mental hands over everything, it definitely helps that Smackdown has a far, far superior roster. Smackdown has established high level talent: AJ, Bryan, Miz, Joe, New Day, The Bar, Usos, Orton, Mysterio, Becky, Charlotte, Hardy and more potential top acts on the sidelines. Raw really only has Rollins (a poor man's AJ Styles if everyone is honest), Braun, Ronda, McIntyre and Elias. The rest of the show is filled with dull midcarders like Corbin, Ziggler, Balor, Lashley etc who are never really going to amount to anything. The difference between the two rosters is fucking shocking.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Apart from the obvious reasons of 3 hours/Vince having his mental hands over everything, it definitely helps that Smackdown has a far, far superior roster. Smackdown has established high level talent: AJ, Bryan, Miz, Joe, New Day, The Bar, Usos, Orton, Mysterio, Becky, Charlotte, Hardy and more potential top acts on the sidelines. Raw really only has Rollins (a poor man's AJ Styles if everyone is honest), Braun, Ronda, McIntyre and Elias. The rest of the show is filled with dull midcarders like Corbin, Ziggler, Balor, Lashley etc who are never really going to amount to anything. The difference between the two rosters is fucking shocking.

That also occured to me during Smackdown, hence my comment about a star in every segment. You're right, it really does. If you looked at this Raw, where Ambrose and Strowman didn't appear in the arena (if I've read right), Lesnar wasn't there and Roman is obviously out long term, you've only got Rollins and Rousey who are genuine stars in three hours. Then on smackers, in two hours you've got Styles, Joe, Hardy, Orton, Mysterio, Nakamura, Shane, Becky and Charlotte. Plus a massively superior tag division and support from Miz, Rusev, Asuka and Shane McMahon. It's night and day.

• Paid Members

I wonder whether/how that will change when Smackdown is on Fox, and is in the position to get more eyes on it. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

hen on smackers, in two hours you've got Styles, Joe, Hardy, Orton, Mysterio, Nakamura, Shane, Becky and Charlotte. 

What I find interesting is how many of those aren't homegrown stars.   Smackdown is very reliant on the import guys who've come through NXT in the last few years.

Outside of Brawn Strowman, how many homegrown stars has NXT actually produced since, well, the Shield?  The mid card is awash with NXT alumni but if we're honest a lot of them haven't lived up to expectations for whatever reason.

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

What I find interesting is how many of those aren't homegrown stars.   Smackdown is very reliant on the import guys who've come through NXT in the last few years.

Outside of Brawn Strowman, how many homegrown stars has NXT actually produced since, well, the Shield?  The mid card is awash with NXT alumni but if we're honest a lot of them haven't lived up to expectations for whatever reason.

Bray Wyatt was WWE champion (although he's probably around the same time as the Shield).

Rusev was after the Shield and was a star for a time.

Baron Corbin is prominently placed.

Struggling other than that though.

And Velveteen Dream is going to be THE guy.

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Charlotte Flair, Alexa Bliss, Becky Lynch. Not many male talents but around that time was when WWE were bringing loads of indie guys to establish NXT.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Loki said:

There aren't that many they've brought through for the last few years who didn't have some sort of rep outside of WWE. Lars Sullivan is on the verge and Dream won't be far behind. They've come almost from nowhere but there aren't many others in the past few years that they've signed who weren't well known from TNA, NJPW, Indies or Europe. Besides the odd tag team, you don't even have guys in NXT who are only known for NXT. Seem to have moved away from that model.

Was having a similar conversation with a mate this morning, following on from WALTER’s signing and talking about HHH’s “global localisation” plans for NXT, which a bit Nazi-ish for my liking.

We’ve seen that they’re running some vignettes for Lars Sullivan, but who were the last NXT callups to get the vignette treatment. I can’t remember anyone since the Wyatt Family, and that was over 5 years ago.

Everyone else seems to have come up the night after Wrestlemania (or Summerslam the last couple of years too) or they’ve answered some ‘Open Challenge’, and your expected to just know who they are and what they’re about. Debuting them in front of the Wrestlemania crowd gets an initial reaction because thats made up the audience that spends a fortune consuming everything WWE that weekend and watch everything, but 3 months later when they’ve in Bumfuck, Alabama and they’re getting no reaction from casuals, that’s when they get written off because they don’t have that built in fanbase

Edited by WyattSheepMask

8 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Christ alive, have they STILL not pulled the trigger on their feud yet??

It was thought WWE abruptly ended the feud back in the summer because they were planning on introducing women's tag belts at Evolution and they wanted Sasha and Bayley to either be the inaugural champions or to lose in the tournament final (and then reignite their feud in time for 'Mania). Of course we now know they got cold feet on the women's tag titles plan, so they teamed up with Natalya last month instead. Now apparently they're keeping them together so they can set up some sort of Four Horsewomen rivalry.

If Bayley does turn on Banks again down the line, I can't see them getting such a strong reaction next time. Diminishing returns and all that.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

We’ve seen that they’re running some vignettes for Lars Sullivan, but who were the last NXT callups to get the vignette treatment. I can’t remember anyone since the Wyatt Family, and that was over 5 years ago.

The Vaudevillains did (well, 1 anyway) and I think Sanity did.  Lio Rush and Hideo Itami did on 205 Live.  Pretty rare these days though.

Edited by The Dart

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Was having a similar conversation with a mate this morning, following on from WALTER’s signing and talking about HHH’s “global localisation” plans for NXT, which a bit Nazi-ish for my liking.

Everyone else seems to have come up the night after Wrestlemania (or Summerslam the last couple of years too) or they’ve answered some ‘Open Challenge’, and your expected to just know who they are and what they’re about. Debuting them in front of the Wrestlemania crowd gets an initial reaction because thats made up the audience that spends a fortune consuming everything WWE that weekend and watch everything, but 3 months later when they’ve in Bumfuck, Alabama and they’re getting no reaction from casuals, that’s when they get written off because they don’t have that built in fanbase

I remember Adam Rose and Bo Dallas getting the video package treatment pretty soon after Wrestlemania 30, but it's a good point - I can't remember many instances either.

This is what happens when you over-saturate your roster to appeal to the internet demographic, you're expecting your audience to know them straight off the bat based on name value alone.