The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

ALL his own fault? It's not like every single person in that company is in a position to push through their own ideas. Becky is a very rare case and really how much do we ACTUALLY know about who's doing what etc in any company? You make it sound like we all go to work and raise hell and do what we want to do. Hardly. 

You’re doing that thing that people do when they compare WWE to a normal workplace. It isn’t.

Anecdotally, the WWE seems to thrive when there’s significant friction between the top talent and the brass. In 2018, when most of the talent are huge fans who are just happy to be there, it’s no coincidence that Vince gets a red hot chubby when Brock fucks him about.

Bryan just burned them over Saudi Arabia, and immediately got the title and the heel turn he wanted. That might be coincidence, though.

But:

Ziggler. Ambrose. Reigns. The list of people whose career would be a lot different if they’d pushed back on horrible material is long.

You can’t do it if you’re a curtain jerker, but if you’re in a feature feud you definitely have more freedom to challenge. Vince has said as much in the past, but the young guys don’t challenge him like the old guard did.

• Paid Members

Of course I don’t ACTUALLY know who’s doing what in that company. Here are the things I do ACTUALLY know though.

For a number of weeks, Becky Lynch’s character and storyline on television was at complete odds with what was happening on her Twitter and in media interviews. So either Becky was running her own gig, which got over massively and was then incorporated into television, or this company was able to meticulously design a scenario where they were purposely undermining their own product in the hope it clicked on an underground level. I don’t have faith in them ever being that smart. It’s the same company scripting all of those endless pee jokes involving Drake Maverick. It’s also the same company playing on a real-life Leukaemia diagnosis for heel heat. Forgive me for not believing they could execute something so nuanced.

Similarly, practically everyone on this roster talks and sounds the exact same, apart from Ronda Rousey. They’ve proven themselves to be completely incapable of writing individual voices for their characters. Everyone uses the same language,  tone and promo structure...except Ronda Rousey. So either she’s having a big hand in her own stuff or they’re somehow able to completely change their approach and rectify all of their writing failures specifically for her. Again, I don’t buy it. 

It’s obvious what the deal is and with each passing day Ambrose going “LOL they made me get a Twitter but I’m refusing to ever use it,” looks less and less impressive. Get on there and sort your shit out, Dean.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I've only read about it but it sounds horrendous. They just seem to accept that it's "Holiday season" and give up until Rumble.

There's no pressure to do anything else though, it seems. Ratings are low but USA renew them for huge money so that's obviously not a worry for them. They've built varied and consistent income streams that ensure they're successful despite the lack of stars and the formulaic TV. And there is no competition. And none likely in the future. 

What puzzles me is how they still put out a pretty good show on Tuesdays. Obviously they do great stuff with NXT and it's spin offs but that's a different setup. But the same people are writing a decent show while simultaneously writing an awful one. How can that be? It's not as simple as 3 hours. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

What puzzles me is how they still put out a pretty good show on Tuesdays. Obviously they do great stuff with NXT and it's spin offs but that's a different setup. But the same people are writing a decent show while simultaneously writing an awful one. How can that be? It's not as simple as 3 hours. 

I think they talked about this on the radio a few weeks back. IIRC, Vince doesn't go to Smackdown, so while all the creative still has to be approved by him, they just phone it through to him and he's more light touch with the changes. 

Edited by hallicks

• Paid Members

Of all the directions I thought they could go in when Dean Ambrose turned heel, the last one I expected was OCD, germaphobe geek. Vince's fingerprints were all over that segment. If he doesn't grow some balls and say something soon I fully expect them to turn him into Doctor Dean, walking around with hand gel.

Has there ever been anyone so shit featured so much as Baron Corbin?

That's probably it for Alexa Bliss' in-ring career, innit?

Super interesting that they're still doing those Lars Sullivan segments after his internet ramblings got uncovered. I guess they're not going to do anything unless it crosses over into the mainstream like the Moolah thing.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Of all the directions I thought they could go in when Dean Ambrose turned heel, the last one I expected was OCD, germaphobe geek. Vince's fingerprints were all over that segment. If he doesn't grow some balls and say something soon I fully expect them to turn into Doctor Dean, walking around with hand gel.

Has there ever been anyone so shit featured so much as Baron Corbin?

That's probably it for Alexa Bliss' in-ring career, innit?

Super interesting that they're still doing those Lars Sullivan segments after his internet ramblings got uncovered. I guess they're not going to do anything unless it crosses over into the mainstream like the Moolah thing.

Internet ramblings? This hasn't even crossed over to the UKFF, let alone the mainstream. What's this about?

• Awards Moderator

First I'd heard of it, but as of that site Supremo linked:

• Illegal Mexican immigrants just want to come to America to “get free stuff”
  • That African Americans want “pity” for what their ancestors went through
  • Claims that he “got with” Raw women’s champion Ronda Rousey
  • Calling CM Punk a “prick” (WWE probably support this one)
  • Calling ROH wrestlers “vanilla midgets”
  • Calling Jeff Hardy a junkie with no wrestling ability
  • Suggesting there is a “grey area” when it comes to rape and consent
  • Saying Bobby Lashley is “clearly a steroid abuser”
  • Making racist and homophobic comments
  • Derogatory comments towards Stephanie McMahon

Apart from the last one, all things WWE would get behind.

Edited by Onyx2
My comment has been stuck at the bottom of the quote. Can't shift it. Bloody thing.