Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

Fuck. Holy fucking shit. As soon as they closed the doors and Cat had a worried look on her face I knew something very bad that I wasn't going to like was going to happen, but didn't expect anything like that :(

Well that's the Starks absolutely fucked then. Gutted, I still really liked Robb and wanted to see him give the Lannisters a right spanking, even though I love the Lannisters. One for the good guys, and all that.

I'm sure there are going to be a ridiculous amounts of twists and turns, but as it stands it's down to the dragons to come and stop the Lannisters. They better get their skates on.

Edit: oh and I forgot to add- I don't think I've ever watched a programme with my mouth wide open in shock as much as those final few minutes. Utterly compelling. Fuck me this show is good.

Edited by PunkStep

There were fuckloads of Frey men around, running about with crossbows and bloody swords, and she would be known to at least some of them I imagine. Of course she'd be slow. Also she was trying to hide from the Hound.

Totally agree, she seems to be the only Stark that exercises caution and it's served her well for the most part. She is the one character that I really want to see get some retribution in the end.

Fucking... Arya!!! Maisie Williams is a fab little actress, she is doing such a brilliant job.

She really is amazing. I read an article last night that said she had next to no acting experience before GoT, which makes her performances even more tremendous. I was applauding at the amount of guts she showed mouthing off to the Hound, who is one of the more puzzling characters I've seen on a TV screen. One minute he has no qualms about killing anyone, next minute he's saving Arya from the chaos from the wedding fallout. I vaguely recall him saying something a while back about getting a reward for her return- but all the same, he seems to have a soft spot for her.What an incredible episode. I can't decide which closing sequence I preferred more: this, or the finish to And Now His Watch Has Ended. The latter was probably more of an emotional high, particularly being a massive fan of Daenerys, but there's something oddly satisfying about the sheer amount of brutality in the former. I love how GoT, for the most part, dispenses of any "feel-good" shit and just goes on a rampage with the killing. You won't catch many other shows that will just cut away so many major characters with little fanfare. I briefly thought they were going to let a wounded Robb get away- glad they didn't, he's probably the easiest Stark to dislike. And then Catelyn gets her throat slit in absolute silence, now only the youngest generation of Starks remain. Wow.Really glad I hadn't read/discovered the books before the show, I love the rollercoaster ride that Game of Thrones takes me on. Knowing what's going to happen and constantly comparing to the book I think would suck the fun out of it for me. Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Awards Moderator

Fucking hell. I knew it was coming, but... Fucking hell. Brutal and utterly horrifying, but handled really well. Knots in the stomach from the end of the ceremony onwards. I loved the way the sense of foreboding just slowly crept up and then... Argh. I'd say I want to watch it again but I don't know if I could handle it. Michelle Fairley was excellent, as was David Bradley, sitting there knowing he'll never get his comeuppance. Bastard Frey.The silence over the end credits was very fitting, and necessary, just to give a bit of breathing time to let it all sink in... The whole sequence was brilliantly done. My poor girlfriend had no idea it was coming and may now be traumatised.(the rest of the episode was really good as well, I should add. Jon and Bran got some good development and Ser Jorah got to do some cool fighting with Grey Worm... But there's only one talking point this week, really. I hate to think what Joffrey's face will look like when he finds out)

:omg:

Absolutely fucking brutal. An unforgeable, merciless bit of tv. And, yes, the silence was deafening.

I like that the important characters that they kill off are just about boring enough for you to not get too annoyed when they're gone. I wasn't the biggest fan of classical Cat but she was brilliant in her dying moments. Her (and the wife she'd taken hostage's) death was suitably melodramatic for her.

It's a good sign that there were no Lannisters and still it was one of the best episodes yet. Walda going through and naming his daughters was hilarious ("you can have 'em both if you like!") and so was Jon Snow ditching ginger gob. I'm guessing it's a swerve though, the soppy git. First time Bran and his younger brother have had a proper scene together and it was probably the second best thing on the show. Two great little actors, proper heartstrings stuff.

I was starting to really like Daeny and her dragon bits but this Guy Who Is Absolutely Perfect At Everything bloke is dragging it down. Can't say I was too big a fan of the wimpy Unsullied boss having a little dance while the others were fighting either.

Probably loads of other great stuff I'm missing. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. Is it just the one episode left this season?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

"Tywin Lannister sends his regards"

It was actually "The Lannisters send their regards." Which was one of the few (as usual, unnecessary) changes from the book that really hacked me off. I much preferred "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" since he told Bolton to when they parted, and it's so wonderfully at odds with "Jaime, YAY!" that is kicking in a bit at the same point, even if you do assume Jaime is blissfully unaware of the Red Wedding and the scheming that lead up to it.It would have been even more shocking if they'd made a bigger deal of the "guestright" thing, but then perhaps they worried that if they actually filmed Cat saying to Robb "once you've taken bread and salt he cannot harm you" that it might have given away that they were going to get fucked over. The offing of Queen Plot Device was suitably nasty (although I didn't give a shit about her) and it tore me to bits when Arya actually watched Grey Wind's eyes close. That's the wolf's name, since the show never bothered telling you.Overall, really good translation of the very part of the book that first made Dan & David want to turn it into television in the first place.A-(Although it must be said, the changes they made to Robb's arc in respect to the circumstances surrounding his breaking his oath ;a) him not being wounded at the Crag and nursed back to health,b) him not being just informed that his brothers are 100% killed by Theon and not just "missing" and overcome with grief,c) his mother actually GETTING CHANCE TO WARN HIM not to break his vow and bed/marry someone else,made it that much easier to think "you dumb fuck" and that he deserved it, compared to book Robb. Now that he's dead, it pisses me off even more.) Edited by air_raid

Fucking hell.Probably didn't need to watch that after coming in from a night out, completely killed my buzz. One question, was Edmund in on it? Or was he just casually banging his bride oblivious to the carnage going on downstate?

The baby-killing part was a little bit close to home for me. My wife is 5 months preggo (she was watching, and generally doesn't cope well with these things), and very recently, a friend of mine's wife was 2 weeks short of being full term and they lost the baby due to complications. Pretty grim.Apart from that, though, great episode...

Edited by hallicks

• Paid Members

I reckon he'll either be kept prisoner or killed in a particularly showy and nasty fashion soon enough. As deathrey pointed out, Blackfish picked a fine moment to go and piss on a tree too.

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Going to miss Richard Madden, thought his performances were rather good as Robb. It's already started off hype about him possibly being the next Doctor Who now as well considering he's in a relationship with Jenna-Louise Coleman.The last few minutes of this episode though is one of the main reasons I love this show so much already (literally started watching last week, already up to date on it all) because it was just so dramatic and tense with just great acting, writing and direction all round.

I was applauding at the amount of guts she showed mouthing off to the Hound, who is one of the more puzzling characters I've seen on a TV screen. One minute he has no qualms about killing anyone, next minute he's saving Arya from the chaos from the wedding fallout. I vaguely recall him saying something a while back about getting a reward for her return- but all the same, he seems to have a soft spot for her.

The Hound's just a good bloke. I don't think it's entirely mercenary for him, because he was just as protective of Sansa over the last couple of seasons. As much as he makes out he's a miserable nihilist, it's pretty much always been his job to be a protector, and it seems to have become a bigger part of his identity once he gets a chance to be a protector to someone who's not a complete cunt. This series is swervetacular, so he might well turn out to be a twat as well, but at the moment he's in that small group with Dany, Snow, Arya and Tyrion for me as someone who just might give the arseholes some comeuppance eventually.