Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

Yeah the Game of Thrones wikia is also spoiler-free at the same pace as US airings

Yeah but that's what I mean -- guy appears in episode, I wonder where I know them from and pause it to go look, and that wikia mentions them dying in that same episode. So I spoil stuff for myself that's five to fifty minutes away in the episode I'm watching, rather than knowing so-and-so kills so-and-so three years from now.
You can't wait a whole hour?!

I don't see how that distinction really matters either way, unless Robb survives/resurrects and comes after Jaime in particular for revenge or something. Can someone explain why it's so important without spoiling anything that's not yet happened in the show? Is it purely to remind us that Jaime isn't that good an egg?

Its not important at all if I remember correctly, think people are just being a bit pedantic/liked the line for some reason. I think the line they used on the show works equally as well.

• Paid Members

I never even got to read the red wedding scene spoiler free as a guy at work assumed I was on book 4 instead of 3 and mentioned he'd just passed the bit where Robb and his Mum die. Twat.

• Paid Members

Its not important at all if I remember correctly, think people are just being a bit pedantic/liked the line for some reason. I think the line they used on the show works equally as well.

It's more personal.a) Jaime told Bolton to give Robb his regards, and they even filmed that in a previous episode, but then ignored it.b) It's Jaime that Robb had locked up in his own shit all that time, and so it's that at the moment of his death, he should be reminded of Jaime.Plus I kind of like to imagine that all the people that by this point are thinking "YAY, Jaime's become a good guy!" are made to associate his name with such a horror. I think at this point when people think of "The Lannisters" they probably just think of those cunts in the capital, not brave noble Jaime that jumped into the bear pit to save the maiden fair.But yeah... I've got issues. I don't mind the changes when I can see why they had to change something or that it accomplishes something, such as the scenes of Tywin's conversations with people he didn't talk to in the book which actually show things that are only touched upon in reported speech in the novel. But the pointless little changes bother me, because they seem pointless or add nothing.

• Paid Members

I'm sure the episode where Jaime speaks to Roose Bolton, he actually says "The Lannisters send their regards" as he was riding off. That's why I wasn't arsed that it remained "The Lannisters" during the Red Wedding, because it was maintaining continuity of the TV show. I remember being a bit pissed when he said it like that during the prior episode, though.

I don't see how that distinction really matters either way, unless Robb survives/resurrects and comes after Jaime in particular for revenge or something. Can someone explain why it's so important without spoiling anything that's not yet happened in the show? Is it purely to remind us that Jaime isn't that good an egg?

Except that MAJOR BOOK SPOILERSwhich is why I deem it so important.

• Paid Members

Please don't discuss book spoiler-y stuff in here, even in tags. Obviously in this instance it hasn't spoiled anything, but I'd rather people didn't get into the habit of responding to quotes with BUT XXX HAPPENS IN THE BOOKS in case contextual clues give things away or one person fucks up their spoiler tagging and one of us HBO-pace folks click at the wrong time. I wouldn't normally be so pedantic but I've done so well avoiding GoT spoilers thus far and there is already another thread on here specifically for book related chat.

Edited by JLM

Well not really lanky because...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

After everything the Lannister's have done, and Jamie's failure to safely return her daughters to her, and Brienne's failure in finding/delivering her daughters, her anger at both is justified anyway. Also, she has been massively betrayed by the Frey's so her subsequent mistrust/anger at everyone is easily justifiable, everything that takes place with Stoneheart who still make perfect sense. Saying that, maybe they will get rid of The Stoneheart character all together, we don't know how important it is yet, so it might not be at all

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Sorry JLM, I was just responding to the post, tv won't do it again.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Ha, I was asking as a favour and I thank deathrey and her fellow book readers for their consideration. I love that GoT has that same unpredictable quality as Oz where nobody is safe at any given moment, and as such I'd be bitterly disappointed if I had something as big as that episode we just saw spoiled ahead of time. The GoT discussion on rllmuk has gone a step further than here and there is one thread where the show is discussed as if the books don't exist at all and I must say I'm a fan of it. Even wider context stuff that doesn't spoil the show and discussion of differences between the show and the books is banned just to keep it as safe as possible. Then there's another thread alongside it where anything goes. Obviously I wouldn't ask for a divide that severe on here, but yeah, actual spoilers staying in the other thread seems reasonable.

Edited by JLM

I'm glad you asked as we are in the same boat. I'd not even heard of the books when the show started, so yeah, I'm avoiding it loads. (Apart from looking at the back of one of them that gave something away, which I have since forgotten)

• Paid Members

Yeah, one of my friends took a copy of one of the books on our recent trip to Germany and we ended up in a shared dorm room. He warned me that even reading the spiel on the back of it would give away major plot developments, but still insisted on leaving it in the bathroom like a horrible spoiler landmine. Thankfully none of my Facebook friends are the type to blurt out GoT spoilers in their statuses though, as I know a number of people who have been spoiled that way too. I am living in constant fear when I all I want to do is know nuthin' like John Snurr.