Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

I'm enjoying the Arya/Hound dynamic. When she mentioned fire to him, she had control for once, then to finish with "One day, I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull" was brilliant. I too have never read the books so I'm enjoying the twists and turns.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

(literally started watching last week, already up to date on it all)

Blimey, that's effort. Good work rapper.Was thinking last night, I never trusted that fucking Roose Bolton from when I first saw him. Knew there was something dodgy about him, probably because he has proper Tywin-eyes and manner about him.

• Paid Members

It had to be done, knowing I was coming home for the summer and how piss annoying my friends are always going on about the show made me have to catch up fairly fast. The joys of being an unemployed uni student means you can whittle away hours on TV. Next up is Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire followed by learning to knit.But really its been a breeze, so easy to just flow through watching.

Was thinking last night, I never trusted that fucking Roose Bolton from when I first saw him. Knew there was something dodgy about him, probably because he has proper Tywin-eyes and manner about him.

Definitely. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the actor playing him is far too sinister looking and, for want of a better word, generally epic to just be a straightforward bit-part player. He (and the Boltons in general) come off creepy as fuck in the books from the start, too. I'm not even up to the Red Wedding in the books yet, but I've suspected a heel turn from him because of the way he's been made out from start.

Fucking hell.Probably didn't need to watch that after coming in from a night out, completely killed my buzz. One question, was Edmund in on it? Or was he just casually banging his bride oblivious to the carnage going on downstate?

If you actually want an answer to this, I'll put a yes/no answer in spoiler tags in case others don't want to know/its rhetorical.

• Paid Members

Air Raid, your posts make my continued avoidance of the books feel like the best decision I've ever made.

Well, I did answer the "should I read on" question in the other thread with "no" since it's prudent for existing viewers who are enjoying the show to avoid the twists. Personally, I'm slightly glad I did read the books first, because I think watching Sunday's episode without the foreknowledge would have traumatized me greatly, but for people for whom the show came first, it's definitely best to carry on unspoiled, even if the wait between series does become agonizing.

Hate the player, not the game.

Oh, fuck off.

• Moderators

I simply meant that the other book-readers here don't seem to have taken small fairly insignificant changes to the story as badly as you, so reading the books wouldn't necessarily mean spoiling one's enjoyment.No need to take it so personally or literally.

As far as complaining about book changes goes in this context, I think the most important change is how much focus the show has placed on Robb in the first place. Yes, he's been kind of lame for a while, but they've invested two solid seasons of making him primary in a way he's really not in the books. And I'll admit that I had been fairly unimpressed/bored by most of the changes regarding his wife in particular, but for me the Red Wedding made it all worth it. The sheer horror of the stabs to the stomach... Sweet jesus. I thought basically everything was pitch perfect.With regard to people avoiding the books... my family are always saying to me, "doesn't it ruin it, knowing what's happening?" and the answer is no. And I think for most people that will be the case. Ultimately you still feel all the same things when you first experience the Red Wedding or other stuff, you don't have to wait and there's even more depth to things. And then, sure, watching the show's a different experience, but it's icing on an already delicious cake. I'm not going to say "you have to read it!" or anything, but if you like to read anyway, I don't see any reason why you need wait.

My poor girlfriend

Oh, you have a girlfriend? Not like you constantly fucking mention her or anything. air_raid raises a good point, tbh. Plenty of book readers can be very pedantic but there is a large difference in Roose leaving out Jaime's name, when you consider how the show has essentially turned him into a good guy. Again, not to be that guy, but there's so many shades of grey to Jaime even after his behanding that you can never fully consider him 100% babyface. From what I can remember, he has respect for Robb's tactics in battle but like most people, he knew he was done the moment he broke his oath. Still, while he didn't step up and finish Robb off in such cowardly fashion, he didn't exactly oppose it either.

• Paid Members

I simply meant that the other book-readers here don't seem to have taken small fairly insignificant changes to the story as badly as you, so reading the books wouldn't necessarily mean spoiling one's enjoyment.No need to take it so personally or literally.

OK. I apologize, I hope you understand how easy it was for me to misinterpret it.Thing is, it's not changes being made that I have a problem with, the nature of translating the book into TV means things have to be stripped back (like some of the big battles) and certain things are better off played out in front of our eyes - such as Robb's romantic interest storyline being visible, rather than him just turning up back at Riverrun and mumbling "ummm, hello mother. I hear you've let Jaime go and some of the others think that's treason. Never mind. By the way, this is my wife."It's just the changes they make which at best just seem pointless, and at worst (like the changes to Robb mentioned above), actually manage to weaken a character we're supposed to empathize with/cheer for. They make me think "why??" Edited by air_raid

• Moderators

For me, reading the books was about not having to dance around the spoiler minefield of the internet for however many years the show might run. I'd never be shocked by anything that happened on the show, but I'd get the unspoiled shock of reading it at least. A lot of things in the books, especially the Red Wedding, caused me to react in a way I'd only ever reacted over TV shows and movies to anyway, so it's not like it's a lesser path to enjoyment. Most people who read the books threw them across the room at the end of the RW chapter.

For non-readers, in the books, it's way more chaotic, as you're in Cat's POV, and there's a lot to take in. Everyone's drunk and bawdy, there are three bands playing different songs at the same time in a dirge (which converge into Rains of Castamere at the pivotal moment, rather than one band going right into it), and a general frenetic madness when it all kicks off, as Cat's mind completely snaps to the point she's clawing all the skin off her own face. The chapter ends with Arya running towards the hall trying to help. The Hound unsheathes his axe and throws it at her --

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Apart from Harry Potter, when has the general public ever given enough of a shit about books to throw spoilers around the internet?There's been maybe one or two pretty minor things spoiled (by this forum) for me and apart from that I haven't known anything.

The way the show had done it, I certainly felt less anger. I don't know if it was the knowledge of the outcome meaning I was looking at it differently but I was seeing Robb a lot more culpable in what happened. In the books it's one moment of weakness after the news his brothers had been killed actively set up by Tywin whereas here I felt he (and for that matter Cat, who in the books is ignorant of everything and tries to clean it all up) was a lot more responsible for what ultimately happened. It still felt brutal and what happened to Nursey was horrific but I didn't feel the shock and betrayal as strongly.Also miffed at the lack of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards". It was kind of an important line...I did think it still a strong ending and one of the best moments on TV for a very long time however and that didn't make it any less incredible to see. The trauma 'er indoors seems to have, rocking backwards and forwards and mumbling "it didn't happen" more than makes up for it. Maybe shouldn't have worn my Lannister shirt today...