Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Moderators

Apart from Harry Potter, when has the general public ever given enough of a shit about books to throw spoilers around the internet?

Spoiling GoT is a fucking sport. Especially the Red Wedding. On the SomethingAwful forums, someone bought an avatar for the mod of the TV forum who posts the (absolutely huge) weekly GoT thread with huge red text that spoiled the Red Wedding.And that's just trolling spoilers. It's way easy to forget yourself and blunder into something. Even Googling a character's name because you want to find out the actor or something will bring up the autocomplete. If you're worried about spoilers, you're playing with fire every time you click on a related -- supposedly spoiler-free -- discussion, or Youtube video, or anything at all. I got spoiled on two things before I finished the books. One turned out to be something I'd seen for half a second on Twitter and misread anyway, so when the actual thing happened, I didn't see it coming, and the other was Jaime's hand, which is the only spoiler I've ever seen that I actually forgot about when I got to that bit for myself. Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

And also, regarding the change from "Jaimie..." to "the Lannisters send their regards," Tywin's much more of a presence in the TV shows, and (rightly, because Charles Dance is awesome), they probably want to elevate that character a bit. He's great in the books, but nowhere near as front and centre. And now we can assume that all those letters he's been writing in those awesome 'Tywin at his desk' scenes were helping to set up the RW.

• Paid Members

I'm trying to be considerate, and not read ahead, as my wife is waiting until the series is completely over to read the books. My dad, on the other hand, was proper annoying when we went over there - I honestly don't think he understands the concept of a spoiler, and kept dropping all sorts of hints about stuff that we don't know yet from the show. He gave away completely the identity of Theon's tormentor, but I managed to take the bullet and then cover it with conversation.

• Awards Moderator

The trauma 'er indoors seems to have, rocking backwards and forwards and mumbling "it didn't happen" more than makes up for it. Maybe shouldn't have worn my Lannister shirt today...

Ha, I've had that too. "They're going to wake up and find it was all a dream, aren't they? Aren't they?"Meanwhile, Astro's saying what I'm thinking, and doing it in a much better way than I could.I also read the books partly to ensure I couldn't ru inadvertently into spoilers, because it's incredibly easy to do so with GoT. As Astro said, just googling a character or actor is very likely to end up with you accidentally skim-reading what happens to them. People who've read the books are a major danger too. I've done it myself and accidentally spoiled something for JLM on here, thinking something had been revealed on the show which hadn't; I genuinely didn't realise, and others are the same. There's a girl at work who's read them, and drops all kinds of book spoilers into conversations about the latest episode of TV. Because I've read the books I can cope with that, but if she were to talk to any other colleague who's into it- and they're either working through the books, the TV, or my DVD boxsets - there's no way they'll finish the conversation unspoiled. She doesn't even mean to do it, she just doesn't consciously stop herself or think 'has this happened yet' before speaking. Thrones is an absolute minefield to talk about unless you're in a safe zone like this thread! Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

The trauma 'er indoors seems to have, rocking backwards and forwards and mumbling "it didn't happen" more than makes up for it. Maybe shouldn't have worn my Lannister shirt today...

Ha, I've had that too. "They're going to wake up and find it was all a dream, aren't they? Aren't they?"
Exactly - "They're not going to kill Robb, anyway... Oh SHIT!... but Catelyn is okay, they'll just keep her host... NO! FUCK!"

• Paid Members

Even though this was more shocking than the beheading of Ned, I knew they were dead, whereas I wasn't convinced Ned was dead. I remember thinking that it was somehow staged or it was all an illusion or a dream, because at the time I was convinced that the whole purpose of the show was for Ned Stark to end up the hero in the end. Then I realised that this was Sean Bean we were talking about. Dies more times than Bill Paxton. I guess after watching 24 for years I'm open to the possibility of people miraculously coming back from the dead now and then.

I read the books first because I like reading more than watching TV. Both are very different mediums though, so they were obviously going to be different, I think both are very enjoyable in their own right

And that's just trolling spoilers. It's way easy to forget yourself and blunder into something. Even Googling a character's name because you want to find out the actor or something will bring up the autocomplete. If you're worried about spoilers, you're playing with fire every time you click on a related -- supposedly spoiler-free -- discussion, or Youtube video, or anything at all.

A million times this. I blundered into a spoiler about Robb dying just by doing a google search for a 'Rains of Castamere' guitar tab, and even having the show liked on Facebook is a hazard. I took the leap into bookworld a couple of months ago, and now I've more or less caught up with the series I'm just going to blast through them over the summer so I can satisfy my inner geek with online discussion.

I'm trying to be considerate, and not read ahead, as my wife is waiting until the series is completely over to read the books. My dad, on the other hand, was proper annoying when we went over there - I honestly don't think he understands the concept of a spoiler, and kept dropping all sorts of hints about stuff that we don't know yet from the show. He gave away completely the identity of Theon's tormentor, but I managed to take the bullet and then cover it with conversation.

I hate cunts like that. For some reason, older generations than mine seem to love spoiling things. "He's the one who kills himself/the maid/whatever" as soon as the character appears on screen. It's not even out of malice, but some kind of misguided attempt at inclusion or just complete lack of understanding of what they're doing. My brother-in-law, when telling me about a film he saw, will always give a vague and unsatisfying nutshell but manage to include every plot twist and the ending before going "you should watch it, it was alright."I've managed to avoid having anything major in the show spoiled, thankfully. Didn't know about Ned in season one (right up until it happened, I was expecting a reprieve), and though I've heard a lot of talk of the red wedding, I assumed it was just referring to Joffrey's. I've been quite careful for the most part in Googling stuff, I think I've spoilt one or two minor character deaths after going "where have I seen that guy?" and pausing the episode to search, and ending up on a GoT wikia or something that shows a "deceased." I think that's happened a couple of times but they've died in the same episode that I was watching and if I'd had the patience to just watch til they end and look up the actor afterwards even that wouldn't have happened. I almost never google character names though in case I type in s-a-n-s-a and Google suddenly lists "Sansa bummed by Joffrey" or "Sansa beheads Cersei" or something.The books sound not as good as the TV show, based on the little bit of non-spoilery discussion I have seen of them (mostly here).

Also miffed at the lack of "Jaime Lannister sends his regards". It was kind of an important line...

I don't see how that distinction really matters either way, unless Robb survives/resurrects and comes after Jaime in particular for revenge or something. Can someone explain why it's so important without spoiling anything that's not yet happened in the show? Is it purely to remind us that Jaime isn't that good an egg?

Whenever I've wondered what a characters name is, or who played them, the episode pages on Wiki are totally spoiler free. I imagine if you click the character name link, you might have just Starked it for yourself.

• Paid Members

Yeah the Game of Thrones wikia is also spoiler-free at the same pace as US airings, and very helpful/informative. It clarifies things that you must've missed (which is always possible given how much happens in an episode), for example I found out that Cat knew there was a problem at the wedding when the band staring playing the Rains of Castemere, the famous Lannister song. I wouldn't have known otherwise.Stay away from the Song of Fire and Ice wikia, though, which I believe is at book pace.

Edited by PunkStep

Yeah the Game of Thrones wikia is also spoiler-free at the same pace as US airings

Yeah but that's what I mean -- guy appears in episode, I wonder where I know them from and pause it to go look, and that wikia mentions them dying in that same episode. So I spoil stuff for myself that's five to fifty minutes away in the episode I'm watching, rather than knowing so-and-so kills so-and-so three years from now.