Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

Again, I've never read any of the books, so this is just my own silly rambling and posturing, but does anybody reckon there is any possibility that Rob isnt actually Ned's son at all? And that he is actually a bastard child of King Robert Baratheon who for some reason unknown at the time, Ned took in as his own. The reason I was asking about whether Robb Stark or Jon Snow was older was because I was trying to see where Jon's birth fits in with the timeline. It could be that Jon Snow was King Robert's first bastard son, and that he asked Ned to take him into his care for fear of bringing shame on his family name, or that Jon mother died, and Robert was prepared to leave the baby to die, until Ned's moral compass kicked in and he took in Jon as his own. Whatever. Whatever the reason, somehow Ned 'adopted' Robert's bastard son. Anyone think there could be something to this? I can see John eventually making his way south, ending up crossing paths with Melisandr

Edited by Magnum

• Paid Members

I don't know about Jon being Robert's bastard and Ned taking him as his own. It was well known that Robert had many bastard children and that he didn't care, isn't that right? That's the impression I get. So I don't think Robert ever cared about bringing shame on his family name at all.Jon was conceived during Robert's Rebellion, wasn't he? While Cat was raising baby Robb in Winterfell. I think you are onto something with Jon's mum being more than just a whore now you mention it, haven't thought about it before but he did make a point of saying to Jon he'd tell him about her one day. Cat was originally meant to marry Ned's older brother, I wonder whether Ned had his heart set on a woman before his brother died and he 'tagged in' to take Cat?

• Paid Members

When Ned married Cat he got her pregnant fairly quickly with Robb, went off to war to fight the Mad King and came back with Jon Snow.The prevailing theory seems to be that Jon is actually the child of Ned's sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryen.

• Paid Members

But that can't be right, didn't the war start after Rhaegar killed his sister, and the war lasted several years didn't it? Yet Ned came back with Jon as a baby. Spoiler-free clarification anyone?

• Paid Members

The war started when Rhaegar kidnapped/ran off with his sister. Lyanna died later. She died near the end of the war.They haven't gone into detail about this in the show so I'm only assuming the show is sticking to the book canon. Ned's sister hasn't really been discussed in the show very much. It's just a theory. The books/show will most likely never reveal Jon's mum IMO.

• Paid Members

My memory of this is sketchy, but did Ned and Robert not mention Ned's dalliance with Jon's mother in the first season when they were reminiscing about old times? I'm sure they've discussed Ned's infidelity at some point (with Ned being more reluctant to talk about it).

Ah yes, now I remember that scene more vividly. I only started watching Game of Thrones this year. I crammed the first two seasons in about a week in the lead up to season 3 starting back in April, so season 1 and 2 occasionally merge into one for me. I did remember a scene where Ned talked about Jon's mother, but couldnt remember who it was with. I was thinking it may have been Jamie, in a "I'm going to put you down a lot, but in a way where it can be interpreted as unintentional", like they often did with one another near the start of their relationship; remember conversations where Ned admired Jamie's armour, saying it had no scratches on it, with Jamie replying that nobody had been capable of scratching it yet, to which Ned quipped 'you must pick your fights wisely'. Stuff like that. I did remember Ned not wanting to talk about it though, which initially triggered my thoughts on there eventually being a reveal further down the line. Still Ned's reluctance to talk about it gives me a reason to think there is more to it than just some whore.

It was well known that Robert had many bastard children and that he didn't care, isn't that right? That's the impression I get. So I don't think Robert ever cared about bringing shame on his family name at all.

Yeah, thats true. Thats the Robert that we knew he had become by the timeline of the show, but we also learned that he used to be softer, more romantic, and that Cersei once fell in love with him. Which is why I said that maybe Jon Snow was Robert's first bastard son. If it was the first, then he would have been younger, more naive and it would have been new territory for him. He may not have known how to handle the situation. He may have been newly married and didnt want to hurt/shame her and his name, or he may have bowed to Westeros politics and been forced to get rid of the bastard child to avoid a scandal. In steps Ned and yadda yadda yadda. Like I said in my earlier post, I hadnt fully thought it through anyway, and I was pretty sure there would probably be large gaping holes in the theory, but hey; its fun to speculate on these things, right?Anyway, Magnum has pretty much rubbished the theory anyway by reminding me that Robert and Ned talked about Ned's infidelity. When I rewatch the show, I'm going to be paying particularly close attention to their early conversations and whatnot. Edited by JohnnyChimpo

• Paid Members

Also, here is another question for you all. How long was Robert Baratheon King for? In the first episode of the first season, Jamie has not long slain the 'Mad King', right? Arent they at his funeral in one of the opening few scenes? So Robert took over from him? And then died a few weeks later? How much time was meant to have passed between Ned arriving in Winterfell and getting his head chopped off? Actually, how much time (roughly) is meant to have passed since the first episode to the point we are at now?

Edited by JohnnyChimpo

Also, here is another question for you all. How long was Robert Baratheon King for? In the first episode of the first season, Jamie has not long slain the 'Mad King', right? Arent they at his funeral in one of the opening few scenes? So Robert took over from him? And then died a few weeks later? How much time was meant to have passed between Ned arriving in Winterfell and getting his head chopped off? Actually, how much time (roughly) is meant to have passed since the first episode to the point we are at now?

He was king at least as long as Joffrey's been alive. I think Tywin Lannister married Cersei to Robert shortly after he took the throne to cement the Lannisters' place in the new hierarchy. You also have to factor in that Robert's gone from an apparent fine figure of a man when he was leading the rebellion to a complacent fat mess over the course of his time on the throne. I reckon he was king for 15-20 years when we meet him in the first series.EDIT: The funeral that we see (if we're thinking of the same one) is of Jon Arryn, Robert's original 'Hand of the King' before Ned. Edited by Magnum

• Moderators

Also, thats here is another question for you all. How long was Robert Baratheon King for? In the first episode of the first season, Jamie has not long slain the 'Mad King', right? Arent they at his funeral in one of the opening few scenes? So Robert took over from him? And then died a few weeks later? How much time was meant to have passed between Ned arriving in Winterfell and getting his head chopped off? Actually, how much time (roughly) is meant to have passed since the first episode to the point we are at now?

The first episode of the TV show starts 17 years after Robert's Rebellion, where he took the throne and the Mad King was slain. That's two years later than in the books, so they could age the characters up to make it less creepy when Dany was getting raped on her honeymoon and whatnot.From Jon Arryn's death (the kicking off point for both the series and the books) to Renly's, it's 18 years since Robert's Rebellion, so over a year of narrative time has passed. At this point, we're about another year on from that.

• Paid Members

I always thought of each season being about 6-12 months of time for some reason. Probably because season 1 is 9 months because of Dany's pregnancy so I've always kind of thought of the show that way, it also matches the kids ageing aswell.

• Paid Members

2620167-636u.jpg

I enjoyed the wrap up of last night's episodes, although the first not-entirely-depressing moment was Theon's sister suiting up to go rescue the smelly little shit - the very ending, however, simply didn't have the wow factor of the dragons in season one, and the white walkers in season two.

This episode tried to wrap everyone's stories up in a nice little bow, it seemed. Nothing really "cliffhanger" that makes me super eager to see what develops in season 4. A bit of reuniting with Jon Snow and Jamie Lannister returning home, Gendry escaping and Dany getting the hero's treatment with the crowd surfing. Seeing Arya get violent like that was a nice little development, seeing the fallout for her with her family members dying will be interesting.Overall, nice episode but definitely lacked the punch of last week, that had a true "wow" factor. We non-book fans have to remember that this season ends halfway through a novel, so the pacing will be slightly different.Major love for Tyrion and Tywin. I love how neither give a flying fuck about Joffrey's position as king and see him as the little psycho child that he is.

• Paid Members

tumblr_mnxwzhdFiW1qd337ko1_500.jpg

I found it slightly underwhelming. But that's probably because I let a mate convince me we were going to get Joff & Margaery's wedding (77 course feast!!) and the second I realized that wasn't happening, I felt slightly let down.

Still, another wedding to look forward to next year. Everybody loves a wedding, don't they?

tumblr_mnuczp7HzT1sq0qieo1_400.gif

Although, must be said, this is my favourite Thrones/RW inspired gif :

tumblr_inline_mnr8sfTZ8m1qz4rgp.gif

Edited by air_raid