Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Awards Moderator

My favourite part of tonight's episode was the brief look of terror on Joffrey's face when Tywin started to ascend the steps to the throne.

I also liked the bear.

And the dragons. Daenerys has been brilliant this season.

Overall, a really good episode. It felt like lots of characters' stories have advanced properly this week - Jon, Arya, Jaime, Tyrion (poor guy), Robb and so on.

And I'm going to keep saying it, but poor Theon. A fade out is never a good sign... Oh, and it's fucking surreal watching Iwan Rheon in Vicious straight after watching him in Game Of Thrones. DON'T TRUST HIM MCKELLEN

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I actually found that episode to be a bit of a let down. The chemistry between Jon Snow and Ygritte feels really forced to me, as does Brienne/Jamie to a lesser extent. Rob's wife is a boring character too, and the Theon storyline doesn't really have me engaged for some reason, maybe because the guy torturing him is playing it too much like a smug pantomine villain.

My favourite scenes were at Kings Landing, Margery Tyrell is excellent and any scene with Tywin is obviously great. More of a 6/10 episode compared to the blockbuster last week.

I also hate Samwell, and fat, pathetic, jolly characters in general. My joy was unbridled at the end of last season when the night walkers were overcoming him. Just when I thought a nice brutal death was going to overcome him the cowardly little cunt hides behind a rock. He is like the Neville Longbottom of Game of Thrones, and I will probably vomit when he has his inevitable 'payoff' moment overcoming adversity to perform a heroic deed. I also adore Hannah Murray so I hope to god she isn't scripted to get with Samwell. Hope the producers rethink their liberal nudity and sex policy if he manages to get his leg over.

• Paid Members

Another victory for Tywin Lannister in the ongoing season of "Tywin Lannister has meetings with people". Charles Dance continues to radiate the authority of complete superiority over everyone around him.

Also a welcome return for Bronn this week.

• Moderators
the Theon storyline doesn't really have me engaged for some reason, maybe because the guy torturing him is playing it too much like a smug pantomine villain.

I'm feeling that way about it a bit too now. I think because it has gone on for a few weeks being a bit obscure and no answers still forthcoming or even much hinted at. Unless, like Keith, you just really love watching Alfie Allen getting tortured there's not loads to invest in.

Like, Theon is a cock and all and I was happy he was getting shit on to begin with, but now I'm just wondering what's going on.

I enjoyed the character development for Sansa. I normally find her very annoying, but she's actually interesting now Margery's taken her under her wing a little and she's getting hardened up and learning how the world works. I can actually see loads of potential in her slow build now.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I actually felt last night was a return to form after what felt like an episode of Four Weddings last week. I thought the Theon scene was uncomfortable to watch, in a good way, mainly because of what we've found out about the torturer's penchant for flaying and the early suspicion that the two girls were going to be part of a horrible hallucination. He is a tit though, and although I don't enjoy seeing him get tortured quite as much as Keith does, he's definitely earned a bit of painful contrition.

I think the bloke who plays Lord Bolton is great. He's got such a slimy malevolence about him, he's like a cut-price Tywin Lannister, and I like the way he's hedging his bets with both the Starks and Lannisters. You just know he has the potential to be a real nasty cunt - I'm only at the end of the second book now so I don't know how it turns out (nor do I want to), but I have the feeling he has a potential to be a much bigger character.

• Paid Members

The past two episodes have actually made the Jon storyline interesting which is a minor miracle.

Season 3 is really firing on all cylinders for me, every episode has been a cracker and everything is moving along nicely unlike season 2 which often felt like it was killing time waiting for the Blackwater episode.

• Paid Members

Fully agreed with you, LaGoosh. Having enjoyed the first season but not quite got the "best show in the history of television" hype a lot of people gave it, and watched Season 2 because I thought I should, I'm totally fucking loving this one.

Jaime Lannister's face turn really is something to behold. Great stuff.

Well Samwell's awful moment of heroism came even quicker than I thought. I couldn't even watch the scene, fast forwarded through all of it - don't think I've ever hated to watch a character so much, to the point where I cringe every time he opens his mouth. The actor has to take some criticism for this, he is playing it horribly.The episode as a whole was excellent, Joffrey and Cersei were suitably punchable, the lack of Jon Snow was refreshing. I thought the best scenes were with Stannis, Davos and Gendry were the best. In fact, the whole leeches scene might have been the best in the season so far, built up beautifully and everything from the lighting to the dialogue was perfect.

• Moderators

Lighting and fastforwarding bits? What is this, Impact?

Anyway... as much as we all hate Samwell I thought that ending was really good, because it was creepy as hell.

I really enjoyed this episode. No Jamie, and the rest of the Lannisters were firing on all cylinders. Good stuff! Felt like a pretty focused episode as they didn't jump around everyone too much.. week off for all the Stark (and ex/half-Stark) boys.

The Hound is great.

Sansa is supposed to be 14? What the fuck?