DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Duchovny wasn't in that.

If he had been, he'd have been rubbish.

Color Out of Space

I know this will upset Loki, because Richard Stanley's his mate, but I really didn't like Dust Devil or Hardware at all. So I wasn't really that arsed about his big comeback. Except this was actually really good - for the first two-thirds. A really good and surprisingly straightforward horror film. Or at least it was until Nicolas Cage turned on the usual loony act and ruined the final third of this. I'm so tired of his bullshit but it's especially annoying here because this was otherwise a real surprise.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Queen & Slim - Essentially Wisdom meets Good Burger.
Genuinely am stumped as I have no idea if I liked it or not.

I loved this. The story wasn't anything fresh but I really enjoyed the performances, soundtrack and visuals. Genuinely funnier in places than I expected too.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Queen & Slim - Essentially Wisdom meets Good Burger.
Genuinely am stumped as I have no idea if I liked it or not.

I was looking forward to seeing this but as I read a bit about it, it sounded like something I'd rather not make the effort to go out and see. Then again, I went and saw Underwater instead, so I was probably wrong.

Horse Girl

This started off and I thought it was another twee Netflix film with quirky lead, but it shifts into something a lot darker and by the end, downright surreal. Molly Shannon’s in it as well, and Alison Brie gets them out twice so 11/10 clearly.

Pitch Black

Still a really bloody good sci-fi film. Haven’t seen it for at least 15 years and it’s still fresh.

• Paid Members

Rare trip to pictures tonight with the kids to see Sonic. Fuck me, it was wonderful. Just so bloody lovely throughout. So many bits had people laughing their heads off.

Not loved the credits of a film so much since Cars. Genius stuff.

18 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome.

Remember quite liking it it when I was younger but watching it now for the first time in what must be a good 20+ years and it's a fucking mess isn't it? Awful soundtrack as well.

Had to turn it off. Thank god for Fury Road.

There's some  good ideas in the film, but the set design seems too polished, for Barter town which runs off pig shit.

• Paid Members

The Call of the Wild

Perfectly decent adventure although Karen Gillan was only in it for two minutes so I want a refund.

Planet of the Apes

Still dead good but not as good as War for the Planet of the Apes.

Dolittle

Even shitter on the second viewing, but I did get about 45 minutes kip so all wasn't lost.

21 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Rare trip to pictures tonight with the kids to see Sonic. Fuck me, it was wonderful. Just so bloody lovely throughout. So many bits had people laughing their heads off.

Not loved the credits of a film so much since Cars. Genius stuff.

Took my boy to see it yesterday. We both really enjoyed it. Carrey was great in the role, it was a good Jim Carrey performance while being a good Robotnik, if you know what I mean. 

Had me thinking, I was so suprised there hadn't been a Sonic movie before, especially in the 90s. Sonic was huge when I was a boy, you'd had thought there would've been a movie, a la Power Rangers, Mario, Ninja Turtles, the other fads at the time. 

Edited by LEGIT

Watched Punk's movie Girl On The Third Floor on Netflix earlier, not usually a fan of modern horror but I found this to be very enjoyable and Punk is great in conveying his character's descent into madness as the film goes on

Also watched on Netflix Mars Attacks! for the first time in god knows how long which still holds up as a great sci fi comedy and Terminator Genysis which was a film, you can see why it, Salvation and Rise of the Machines got retconned for Dark Fate, its a very clunky film and Jai Courtney is awful as Kyle Reese