DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I can understand not liking any of the characters because they're all dicks and I can understand feeling a disconnect because of that but dull? No way. It's a man addicted to risk constantly upping the ante. Dull it ain't.

I watched it last night. I had to take a break halfway through and go for a fag. I swear I was getting pains up my left arm from it.

• Paid Members

Birds Of Prey - Tries way too hard. Not funny, awful storyline. At least it was well lit/shot so visually it was interesting, but yeah, there is a reason it is bombing, and it's not because men hate woman. Its because everyone hates shit films.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Took my 6 year old. She absolutely loved it. It's pretty much what you expect standard kid flick really, but Jim Carey's 1995 tribute acting makes this better then it had any right to be and thought there were enough easter eggs and funny moments to pass the time. Much better then the trailers made it out to be,

• Paid Members

Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm sure everyone who lost their shit over the trailer thinking this was going to be the worst thing ever must be really disappointed that this is actually ok. There's one scene involving Jim Carrey dancing that was utterly surreal.

Threads

Bit disappointed that this wasn't 'harrowing' and 'disturbing' like everyone says but still a brilliant piece of filmmaking. Still the strongest advert for nuclear disarmament ever made.

Aniara

Depressing but really good Swedish sci-fi that's doing the rounds. A bit Snowpiercer in its approach, which can only be a good thing.

Annihilation

Really disappointed I never got to see this on a big screen, this is the downside of Netflix releases, for me. Still one of the best sci-fi films of this century though.

Equilibrium

Significantly better than The Matrix and it's not even close tbh.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is it? I thought it had doubled it’s budget already. If that’s bombing I’m sure studios will take two. 

It seems to be performing way under expectations, although your right it does seem to be doing fine to my eye. 

I enjoyed it, they've definitely gone for the Deadpool vibe and my only criticisms are that bits of it felt rushed and the Birds Of Prey element feels like a bit of an afterthought, it's the Harley Quinn show from start to finish. Decent fun. My 15 year old daughter loved it. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is it? I thought it had doubled it’s budget already. If that’s bombing I’m sure studios will take two. 

It's the lowest opening DC Universe movie in the US by about 20 million. A film needs to make around 3 times it's budget back to be profitable, meaning it needs to make $240 million just to make budget back. Films make most of their money in their opening weekend. For example it already lost over 50% of ticket sales in it's 2nd weekend compared to it's opening. Plus Harley Quinn was the breakout star of Suicide Squad, so expectations were this would do more then a quarter of Suicide Squads opening weekend. Another DC misstep.

I see what you mean @cobra_gordo, shame they aimed for Deadpool and ended up with a less funny Deadpool 2, and yeah it definitely felt like a solo Harley Quinn movie, with the Birds of Prey being an after thought. The last 20 minutes were pretty good. It was the rest of the nonsensical film that let it down. But hey, I enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog, so what do I know.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

19 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

n. A film needs to make around 3 times it's budget back to be profitable, meaning it needs to make $240 million just to make budget back

It’s closer to two in most cases, certainly for a film budget of this size. And it’s done that. As Devon said, it may have underperformed but it certainly hasn't bombed. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm sure everyone who lost their shit over the trailer thinking this was going to be the worst thing ever must be really disappointed that this is actually ok. There's one scene involving Jim Carrey dancing that was utterly surreal.

I thought they were all happy because the studio went away and fixed the shit looking character? The response online was pretty positive I thought. 

Anyway who cares about Birds of Prey? Wrong thread. Conversations about films' profitability is so tedious.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s closer to two in most cases, certainly for a film budget of this size. And it’s done that. As Devon said, it may have underperformed but it certainly hasn't bombed. 

Whilst I agree, because it may well hit $240 eventually, I am not the one spinning the line, merely repeating it. It's also looking like it's not going to get a China release, one which has saved many a film recently because of the size of the market. Regardless, it is a disappointment for DC and WB, though I am sure Wonder Woman 84 will be another big hit. And Big Match John will ensure The Suicide Squad will break all records of course. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch