DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The shoot-out is the best part. The rest of it stretches out a nice little crime narrative because Michael Mann is an idiot who has never known how to rein anything in. Plus the coffee shop scene is really stupid, when you think about it.

That's definitely true of Mann. His best work will usually overcome that with such strong material but stuff like Miami Vice is just too drawn out with beautiful lingering shots and long periods of silence. It's the auteurs affliction. The best ones always have a strong editor but even then an artists ego will dictate everything else.

• Paid Members

I fucking hate Miami Vice. It's *terrible*, to the point where I can't see what anybody would see in it. I've never been a fan of Mann and The Insider, which is probably his least Mann-like film, is his best one. Collateral too, but I'm increasingly of the belief that Tom saves that one.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The shoot-out is the best part. The rest of it stretches out a nice little crime narrative because Michael Mann is an idiot who has never known how to rein anything in. Plus the coffee shop scene is really stupid, when you think about it.

I mean I could see a strong argument for it being the best scene just that it stands in the way of the pacing of the narrative.

I actually think Heat is much stronger than most stupidly long films. I'd say it's better than say Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or most of Scorsese's marathons. God I miss 90 minute films though.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I fucking hate Miami Vice. It's *terrible*, to the point where I can't see what anybody would see in it. I've never been a fan of Mann and The Insider, which is probably his least Mann-like film, is his best one. Collateral too, but I'm increasingly of the belief that Tom saves that one.

Miami Vice is utter tosh. The Insider I have literally no recollection of despite knowing I've seen it. Which cannot be a good sign. Collateral is a masterpiece though.

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think Manhunter is his best film. I really like Heat, too. But saw Manhunter years ago and found it very engrossing. Brian Cox made a great Hannibal Lecter. 

• Paid Members

I loved Collateral - that performance from Cruise is one of his most memorable, I think, and the film feels well-paced in general with decent action. Jamie Foxx is none too shabby in the lead, although he is obviously overshadowed.

One thing I liked in particular about Collateral was the style of cinematography - a friend told me it's primarily because of the lighting. Specifically, the glassy look to a lot of the scenes, sometimes blurred or slightly washed-out.

20 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Watched A Take Of Two Sisters earlier.

Will probably have to watch it again as I had no idea what was going on but the horror aspect was brilliant.

One of the early "omg you must see this" movies from the early 2000's Asian cinema boom that I didn't get the hype for.

Looks great though like a lot of Korean cinema. Didn't find it scary at all though.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

One of the early "omg you must see this" movies from the early 2000's Asian cinema boom that I didn't get the hype for.

Looks great though like a lot of Korean cinema. Didn't find it scary at all though.

For me it's definitely the pinnacle of the J / K-Horror post-Ring boom. It's a fantastic film but it was mostly downhill after that.

Looks lovely and I thought the performances were great. Just couldn't get into it at the time though, still have it lying around on DVD so might give it another chance.

Proper blast from the past though. Back in the days when Tartan were flooding the market with Asian horror, both good and bad.

Still have a load of DVD's from the Asia Extreme line.

It wasn't.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/miami_vice

Both critics and audience scores are sub 50%, and I know RT scores aren't everything but that's still damning.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

For me it's definitely the pinnacle of the J / K-Horror post-Ring boom. It's a fantastic film but it was mostly downhill after that.

The Wailing is better than anything from that era, probably the best folk horror I've seen.

Edited by Merzbow