DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Wailing is better than anything from that era, probably the best folk horror I've seen.

The Wailing was alright but like with almost every other Korean film these days, it's at least 45 minutes too long. Honestly they must all be on 20 hour weeks over there to have time to watch these long arsed films.

• Paid Members

Watched a couple of films that I’be been meaning to see on a long-haul to Thailand.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - the three hours absolutely whizzed by, the polar opposite of The Hateful Eight which felt like it was a week long. I definitely think I enjoyed it but other than last 20 minutes and the Bruce Lee scene, I’m not sure I can remember all that much about it other than a lot of driving. I don’t know what that says about it, if anyone were to ask, I’d recommend they watch it but I’m not sure I’d be able to tell them why. The best I’ve seen Brad Pitt for quite a while. Caught Ad Astra in the imax at the tail end of last year, visually stunning but my god it bored me to the point of struggling to stay awake.

Parasite - Admittedly, I don’t watch many foreign films but I had this recommended to me by a few people so I was looking forward to seeing it. What a ride. Relatively tame but interesting enough start, bumpy middle then pure exhilaration for the final third. I could’ve watched it again right away. I’m no film critic but I thought they cast were incredible, especially the dad (the older one), loved every minute he was on screen. I plan to check out some more of the director’s stuff but I’m not expecting to enjoy it half as much as I did this. I hope it does well at the Oscars (yeah, I know...) just so that it gets some more, well deserved, eyes on it. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

Dolittle

Not entirely terrible but also not at all good. Robert Downey Jr. is still the most bafflingly successful actor I've ever seen but if you're Welsh I invite you to see this so you can at least get a good laugh at his accent. I wonder what Michael Sheen thought of it.

• Paid Members

I got around to watching Terminator: Dark Fate last night. I enjoyed it much more than I thought it would and it's a shame it bombed at the box office, killing off any chance of rebuilding the franchise. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't perfect by any means, or up to the standard of the first 2 but as a starting point for a new series of films, it was good!

Only bit I couldn't get on with was:

The T800 getting himself a family

• Paid Members

Coco

One of best animations I've seen. It's just a superb film in general. Great plot and a cracking soundtrack. Loved it!

Hotel Mumbai

Dev Patel is such a good actor, he was ace in this. Very tense end to end, and quite unsettling considering it was based on the 2008 Mumbai attacks. Great film.

Edited by Murtz

• Paid Members

The Rhythm Section

Already regarded as a huge disaster but it's absolutely fine. It rushes through some key stuff, such as Blake Lively's training, and the plot is lacking originality. But there are some good action scenes and Lively is excellent. Nowhere near as bad as touted.

• Paid Members

Hard Boiled

John Woo's masterpiece really doesn't get talked about enough. It's been probably 15 years since I last watched it. Then a mate mentioned it a couple days back and I got the itch. The utter chaos of the hospital scene is jaw dropping.Tequila is as cool a character as any. Also It's on YouTube so you really have no excuse. 

• Paid Members

Saw Richard Jewell. Would have been a really good film, which I did enjoy, except for the portrayal of the journalist which is ill judged. But as someone unfamiliar with the story, I found it really interesting and Paul Walter Hauser is a really great character actor. Shame that element really tarnished it.

pissed off with my local though. Both this and Queen and Slim aren’t on from tomorrow because I guess Birds of Pray and 1917 are hogging the screens. Not even showing Parasite so I’m glad I went to the Unlimited screening.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:03 PM, LaGoosh said:

The Lighthouse is a fantastic film. Both Dafoe and Pattinson are incredible and the visuals/audio are on a different level from everything else I've seen for awhile. 

Is it one that you’re better off seeing in a cinema? The big chains where I live aren’t showing it, so I’d need to make a bit of extra effort to see it. I’m swithering as to whether to do that, or just wait for home release.

• Paid Members

The Matrix

I still hate it. Hours of bad dialogue and shit acting bookended by a couple of good action scenes which aren't good enough to be worth it. The Wachowskis are really shit.

The Andromeda Strain

Still the best pure science fiction film I've ever seen. Gets better every time I watch it.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Andromeda Strain

Still the best pure science fiction film I've ever seen. Gets better every time I watch it.

I ran into this by accident once on BBC2 in about 1990. Scared the crap out of me and fascinated me at the same time. Such a cold look at infection, and that stark 70s documentary style gives it a horrifying realistic edge. So good. 

The book is excellent too. Shame Crichton outed himself as a bellend before he died.