DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Sonic is probably as good a film I'd imagine a Sonic could be. I was hoping for a bit more of a Johnny 5/Alf vibe but it was close enough for a modern day film. Far better than Empire's shitty review which nobody should pay any attention to anyway.

I haven't seen it but the general impression I get from people is that any cartoon animal could've been substituted as the lead character and it would've been the same movie. Would that be a fair assessment?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I haven't seen it but the general impression I get from people is that any cartoon animal could've been substituted as the lead character and it would've been the same movie. Would that be a fair assessment?

Possibly. Although it makes much more sense that it's an established character who is well known for speed. The initial part takes inspiration from the video game and there's little explanation of who Robotnik is, really, we just all know he's the baddie. The credits are amazing and wouldn't work with some random character for obvious reasons.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I haven't seen it but the general impression I get from people is that any cartoon animal could've been substituted as the lead character and it would've been the same movie. 

What, like Droopy?

It's formulaic but it's a kids film. If they put a badger in it and called it Super Mega Fast Alien Badger it would be a shitter film but the plot would still be a vague rip off of E.T/Short Circuit/Cocoon /Hop/whatever. 

The credits were glorious made only better by my 2 year old jumping out of his seat and shouting "My daddy plays that!" We then went home and played Sonic Mania. He was Tails.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

How has no-one said Jessica Rabbit? The sexiest of all of the cartoon characters (though the Caramel Bunny is up there).

Anyway, couldn't the same be said for most films/characters? it's a bit of a bizarre argument

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

What *is* the argument? It's a Sonic the Hedgehog film. He runs fast and beats his established nemesis. How can you just put any cartoon animal in it? Daffy Duck never dunked on Dr. Robotnik.

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyway, couldn't the same be said for most films/characters? it's a bit of a bizarre argument

Not to argue on behalf of other people's point - I can't say whether I agree or disagree - but most films aren't based on a character with thirty years of established material, to be fair. I think they just expected it to revolve around more of what they'd recognise as being intrinsically Sonic. Maybe what counts as such for some is just a superficial nod for others.

It's a common argument with video game movies. It didn't  have xyz from the game so it's not a real *insert title* film. Surely everyone knows video game movies are mostly the drizzling shits because they're trying too hard to convey an artform through the medium of a completely different type of artform. Just like books/comics/cartoons have to be tailored to fit otherwise just play the game/read the book/comic or watch the cartoon.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Not to argue on behalf of other people's point - I can't say whether I agree or disagree - but most films aren't based on a character with thirty years of established material, to be fair. I think they just expected it to revolve around more of what they'd recognise as being intrinsically Sonic. Maybe what counts as such for some is just a superficial nod for others.

You see Green Hill Zone, it involves rings, he does things in the film he does in the games, the villain is the same guy. Frankly, I think they did a good job making anything that watchable from the source material