Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Queen and Slim

Tealeaf goes on a Tinder date that escalates quickly.  Really decent sex scene.  Some jarring elements where the dialogue goes telepathic but we thought the projector had locked up and every conceivable car angle is used to the point that it felt like a showreel for vehicular filming.

Considerably better than T.H.U.G. that dealt with similar subject matter.

Edited by johnnyboy

The Irishman

It was good and I enjoyed it but...

I feel like it could have been an amazing 3 - 6 part series, with all the little details, the he's and the whose in it can feel a bit much in one sitting. (Especially at 3 in the morning.) Tremendous acting from both Peggy's and Pachino in particular. I selfishly wish Pesci never semi/self-retired because there's an abundance of films he would make better instantly.

On a final note they could have cut a good twenty minutes out of this by removing most of the eating scenes. I nearly put my foot through the TV when Pachino was clanking his fucking ice cream spoon every other scene. (How does @Scott Malbranque cope with it?) 

Just been to see Knives Out again. Definitely a film designed for a quick second viewing because of how it plays out.

Muuuuuud.

Marriage Story

I really liked it, but having gone through something fairly similar it was a fairly hard watch. Recommend

Ronin

First rewatch for about 10 years and I still really enjoyed it apart from Sean Bean stinking the joint up “FOOKING HAVE SOME” indeed. Natasha McElhone was/is so bloody lovely. Jean Reno too.

Hustlers. Wolf of Wall Street meets The Big Short meets Showgirls (no Jessie nips tho). Didn't live up to the five star review I read in Empire unfortunately. It was decent but felt like they were trying to punch at a higher weight than they delivered.

Constance Wu is pretty great but it kind of suffers from the characters being dirt bags, less dirt baggy than Di Caprio and chums but I felt little empathy for them which was at odds with them being struggling single mums etc.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I still really enjoyed it apart from Sean Bean stinking the joint up “FOOKING HAVE SOME” indeed

He does deliver one of the finest "FUCK OFF"'s in film though.

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

He does deliver one of the finest "FUCK OFF"'s in film though.

It’s when he starts banging on about Raspberry Jam in the car that he really takes off

Yeah, that was even worse than the "Heerford" boating house colour.  But aye, cracking film.

Watched Marriage Story tonight. Yet another feather in the cap for Adam Driver who is surely one of the best actors working just now. I thought it was a lovely film that had some gentle humour and some really heart-wrenching moments.

When he got up to sing in the bar, I was a bit like "urgh, what's going on here?" By the end, my eyes were brimming. A beautiful moment out of absolutely nowhere.

Highly recommended!

Jumanji: The Next Level was just as enjoyable as the previous one and I hope it's another massive hit. On a sidenote, I'm going to have to stop watching stuff with Karen Gillan in because she's just ridiculous.

Pitch Perfect 2

”Oh great, Hailee Steinfeld and Katrine from Borgen! And they’ve done an acapella of Poison by BellBivDevoe. God, this series could be one of my favourites ever. Hope the 3rd one isn’t really fucking shit”

Pitch Perfect 3

Ffs.

Jumanji the next level felt like a cheap cash grab. Too similar to the original until Awkwafina shows up and steals the film. It’s worth a watch at home, but don’t rush to the cinema unless you have some kind of Cinema Card as it’s not worth a regular ticket price.

Saw Jumanji: Next Level tonight. Just as much fun as the first, although I maybe had a few more quibbles with this one, but...

The last five minutes gave me a genuine thrill. Bebe Neuwirth showing up was lovely - and I thought that’d be it for subtle nods to the Robin Williams film. But that final scene! It made me genuinely really, really excited for what they might do in a third one. The idea of Jumanji invading the real world feels earned after these two films, rather than being a retread of the 90s one. And the idea of Martha, Spencer etc meeting the ‘real’ versions of Ruby Roundhouse, Bravestone etc - I can’t wait!

I thought Awkwafina was a great addition but that they could have done a bit more with her. Thoroughly enjoyed her in the other several thousand films she's been in the last couple of years too. Especially The Farewell, which was a lovely film.