DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DEF said:

Revolver - Not even the Stath could save this. So spectacularly rambling and incoherent that I was very nearly amused by it. It's like fever dream of bad writing. Avoid.

Doesn't that have a famous directors commentary where they slag of the poor reviews it got?

• Paid Members

Recently watched Booksmart and Big Hero 6. Loved both of them. 

Booksmart is absolutely superb - I know it's sort of unfair to compare it with Superbad, but at the same time it is apt. It's way better, and a great piece of work from Olivia Wilde that has me looking forward to her next directorial outing. The two main actresses are great, and whilst it's obvious that Beanie Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister, and the role she plays is very much a Jonah Hill one in the film, I think she comes out on the favourable end of the comparison, and that's not intended as a slight on her brother, who is excellent. This film is basically a modern version of the teen comedies of the late 90s and 2000s, but it just feels fresher and much more state-of-the-art without losing what made those comedies funny. If anything, I reckon it'll age way better than American Pie has. 

Also, Diana Silvers is evidence that women are now evolving to be able to procreate with each other without men, because she looks like the love-child of Liv Tyler and Julia Roberts.

I love Big Hero 6. Yes, it's a superhero film, but so well done. Nicely paced, lots of time dedicated to the characters, and I love all the loving tributes to Japanese superhero series with the costume designs. It's just a great little fun action romp that I can imagine just popping on to re-watch for a feelgood afternoon.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Factotum said:

@Hannibal Scorch - I think you're referring to OUTLAW with Danny Dyer and Nick Love. It's hilarious

oh god, that is wonderful. I found it on you tube!

@Carbomb I have seen some of the BH6 animated series and it's pretty good actually. I am surprised they haven't tried to do any other Marvel animated films

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Big Hero 6 is a Disney Classic.

If you don’t get sad when Baymax tells Hiro that Tadashi is in his heart, you’re either dead inside or a prick.

“On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your pain?”

100 Baymax, you monster.

It's full of the feels, and it never feels overplayed.

It doesn't quite manage it, but it comes close to equalling Moana as my favourite Disney movie.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Booksmart is absolutely superb - I know it's sort of unfair to compare it with Superbad, but at the same time it is apt. It's way better, and a great piece of work from Olivia Wilde that has me looking forward to her next directorial outing. The two main actresses are great, and whilst it's obvious that Beanie Feldstein is Jonah Hill's sister, and the role she plays is very much a Jonah Hill one in the film, I think she comes out on the favourable end of the comparison, and that's not intended as a slight on her brother, who is excellent. This film is basically a modern version of the teen comedies of the late 90s and 2000s, but it just feels fresher and much more state-of-the-art without losing what made those comedies funny. If anything, I reckon it'll age way better than American Pie has. 

One of the things I really, REALLY, liked about it was that almost none of the other students are just assholes. Everyone's trying to find common ground, and when the two main characters try to, they're mostly welcomed with open arms. It's not a trap, nobody's looking to catch them out - everyone's mostly trying their best. And when they're hurt, it's not because anyone else was being intentionally deceitful or manipulative. It felt like a really positive, grown-up approach to teens - the stuff you mostly realise about each other with years of hindsight.

• Paid Members

I really didn't like Big Hero 6, it felt like your usual Disney stuff in a superhero film. Booksmart is fabulous though, although I may slightly prefer Eighth Grade and The Edge of Seventeen.

Children of Men

As brilliant as it is, I couldn't help but wondering how much better it could have been without Clive Owen in the lead. By his standards it's a fine performance but his standards are of being amazingly bland.

Dark Waters

One of those excellent biopic investigative / conspiracy / political dramas that feels like a really taut thriller. After this and Spotlight, maybe Mark Ruffalo should only make these films, he's so good in them. The feel bad movie of the winter.

• Paid Members

Greed is an interesting but flawed film. It doesn’t seem to know if it wants to be a parody of Philip Green or an expose of the awfulness of fashion made in awful circumstances in order to make these people billionaires. Great cast, has some funny moments, and one bit was filmed in my local town, but all in all it felt that the two different stories didn’t really gel together.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Guns Akimbo - been looking forward to it for ages, and it didn't disappoint. Watching it, I felt a lot like I did watching the first Crank. Samara Weaving is great.

Shame the director's a massive, weird cunt so I'll stream it illegally and show him! Mind you, Deathgasm was shite so I might not bother and show him more.

Guns Akimbo- Just great fun throughout, a really easy, enjoyable watch.

LA Confidential- I taped this off the telly in around 1999/2000 and it's taken me til now to finally watch it. Definitely lived up to the hype, great performances from Pearce, DeVito and Spacey and I think this is the least I've hated Russell Crowe. I think it's going to take a second watch to really take everything in now I know what happens.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

LA Confidential- I taped this off the telly in around 1999/2000 and it's taken me til now to finally watch it

Helluva backlog. It is great, I've seen it lots but not at all since the Spacey allegations. Still feels a bit grimy. 

Ro-lo To-maaasssi...