DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN I suspect this may be a film that comes to be a lot better regarded as the years go on and it finds its place on TV. A really nice throwback with a terrific turn from Alec Baldwin (you forget just how fucking good an actor he can be) and a very good Edward Norton. I read the book years ago, and this goes off on its own thing bar the basic thrust of the story and Norton's character having tourette's. You can see the Chinatown influence. I really liked it.

Edited by Factotum

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Matrix

I still hate it. Hours of bad dialogue and shit acting bookended by a couple of good action scenes which aren't good enough to be worth it. The Wachowskis are really shit.

I'd argue that they have never made a good film and I like The Matrix!. Much like Lucas with Star Wars, the majority of the memorable visuals were down to having amazing effects and fight teams that went above and beyond. Without the first time spectacle the sequels were exposed as shonky shite in record time.

Much like Paul Anderson and Event Horizon the argument usually goes 'They are crap...but they made Bound' 

Oh and Andromeda Strain is amazing

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I'd argue that they have never made a good film and I like The Matrix!. Much like Lucas with Star Wars, the majority of the memorable visuals were down to having amazing effects and fight teams that went above and beyond. Without the first time spectacle the sequels were exposed as shonky shite in record time.

Much like Paul Anderson and Event Horizon the argument usually goes 'They are crap...but they made Bound' 

I enjoy Bound but much like with Event Horizon, I can't be sure someone else wasn't involved. 

Watched The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion today.

Korean film that came out in 2018 and is now getting a release elsewhere probably due to Parasites success.

Absolute bonkers action sequences, really well made and I can’t wait for the sequel.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Underwater

Really disappointing. I normally always like monster movies but this is just exhausting. TJ Miller is an unfunny twat and Kristen Stewart runs about in her undies.

Parasite

Not quite my favourite from Bong (probably would go with Mother) but still absolutely excellent. Rare to see a film with such universal hype and praise that legitimately lives up to it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the only one I haven't seen by him is Barking Dogs Don't Bite. I had my issues with The Host but he's easily one of the best around right now, a fascinating filmmaker.

• Paid Members

Donnie Darko

Haven't seen this for ages and apparently I watched the director's cut this time. I still quite like it even if it is very bad in its latter stages. Maggie is a better actor than Jake though.

I lived with a guy first year of uni who was obsessed with Donnie Darko, he must’ve watched it a minimum of 3 times a week, although this will have been the original cut on its first DVD run, no idea what’s different about the DC.

Was ok with the first time round, not so much the second time a couple of years later and then was completely turned off the third time another 3 or 4 years after veiwing two, it does seem to love the smell of its own farts at times.

Remember seeing about 40 minutes of its sequel, S Darko, but I think that was universally hated

16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I lived with a guy first year of uni who was obsessed with Donnie Darko, he must’ve watched it a minimum of 3 times a week, although this will have been the original cut on its first DVD run, no idea what’s different about the DC.

From memory, the main difference is that the director's cut added text overlays of the tangent universe rules/lore (from the old lady's book) to explain what's going on.

Someone in my class in first year rolled up his sleeve and showed me his 'They Made Me Do It' tattoo in wanky font at the slightest mention of Donnie Darko. I'd stake my life on him having a 'Why So Serious' one on his other arm.

That element of the fandom apart it's a good sci-fi film that's obtuse enough to trick people in to thinking it's a lot deeper and layered than it is. Richard Kelly is a one hit wonder too. The Box was dog shit.

Is there any way to get subtitles files for films?

I've just downloaded Silenced, the 2011 film from Korea, and it's listed as having English subs but once I've got it it's just in it's normal audio. I would import on DVD as there is a release in Hong Kong, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere for less than  3 figures

Edited by WyattSheepMask