DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Terminator: Dark Fate

The first quarter is bloody excellent, just balls to the wall action that hits perfectly before dropping into nonsensical exposition, lore dumps and Linda Hamilton being shit. I really didn't need any links to the Connors or have Arnie in there, Grace and Dani should be front and center with the action surrounding them for 90 minutes.

• Paid Members

Just Mercy

Good, solid legal drama with lashings of great acting and rednecks being racist. Tim Blake Nelson is a treasure. Brie Larson's perm wasn't.

The Terminal

Somebody could have made this into a really fun comedy but instead Spielberg shits on the idea with a crappy romance angle and Stanley Tucci being a bastard. Absolute waste of time.

• Paid Members

Went to see a cinema showing of The VVitch tonight. I liked it when I saw it a couple of years ago, but if anything, I underestimated. Holy hell, but it is blisteringly good. The atmosphere, the acting, the sound design, the terrifying goat and the disconcerting use of ASMR. 

I know some didn't like it, but I'm blown away by it.

UNCUT GEMS  - Fuck me what a film. a 2 hour panic attack with a barnstormer of a performance from Sandler. God knows how he didn't get nominated (and probably should have won) the Oscar for this. It left me exhausted after it. Its on Netflix next Friday, but if you get to catch it in the cinema do as it ramps up the intensity of it. Will be hard to top for me.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Hustle. Good chemistry between Wilson and Hathaway but Chris Addison can’t direct. It just sort of fizzled and ended like it was the last day of term and felt as long, despite it being 90 minutes. 

I’d really love to see Rebel Wilson do something other than her usual “now I’ll talk really slowly about random things like I’m ad-libbing usually about sexual things” style of acting. 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy her, but it’s getting really old.

Hathaway’s always great.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I’d really love to see Rebel Wilson do something other than her usual “now I’ll talk really slowly about random things like I’m ad-libbing usually about sexual things” style of acting. 

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy her, but it’s getting really old.

She's great in Jojo Rabbit actually. A mate of mine is concerned that he now fancies her more after seeing her as a Nazi.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Chris B said:

Went to see a cinema showing of The VVitch tonight. I liked it when I saw it a couple of years ago, but if anything, I underestimated. Holy hell, but it is blisteringly good. The atmosphere, the acting, the sound design, the terrifying goat and the disconcerting use of ASMR. 

I know some didn't like it, but I'm blown away by it.

I thought it was tremendous but I was shocked at how many people walked out of the film. I think the marketing of the film meant people turned up expecting your traditional jump scare affair, rather than the interesting work intended.

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Hustle. Good chemistry between Wilson and Hathaway but Chris Addison can’t direct. It just sort of fizzled and ended like it was the last day of term and felt as long, despite it being 90 minutes. 

Is it just me that finds Chris Addison's involvement in most things a bit rubbish? Even his best work, The Thick of It, he was not exactly irreplaceable in his role.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Is it just me that finds Chris Addison's involvement in most things a bit rubbish? Even his best work, The Thick of It, he was not exactly irreplaceable in his role.

Add me to the list. Seems to be the ultimate riding on coat tails career where he manages to surround himself by far more talented people and lives off that. I don't think I have ever seen him be funny when he is doing anything solo.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

She's great in Jojo Rabbit actually. A mate of mine is concerned that he now fancies her more after seeing her as a Nazi.

She was my least favourite thing about the movie. She seemed so out of place. Like they got her at the last minute and shoehorned then character in purely because of being a star name. 

She just had a completely different vibe to the rest of the characters and the movie in general. 

• Paid Members

Rebel Wilson wasn't the problem with Jojo Rabbit, her whole stupid broad / slapstick comedy subplot with Alfie Allen and Sam Rockwell was. You know what you're getting with her. She was entirely in sync with a side of the story that shouldn't even have been there.

Edited by Devon Malcolm