DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I can't recall having seen him in anything aside from Jack Reacher and he was alright as a bastard in that but I wasn't really paying attention because of Werner Herzog.

Something or someone else was holding my attention in that film. Can’t remember what. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Something or someone else was holding my attention in that film. Can’t remember what. 

Yeah, always great to see Robert Duvall

• Paid Members

Species

Fucking dreadful, so obviously it's had a bunch of sequels. Michael Madsen always was utter crap, wasn't he.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Unquestionably a contender for the greatest remake of all time. Still chilling, still one of the best endings of all time. The Abel Ferrara version was pretty good too, though.

14 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The trick with Species is to fast forward it to the good parts and watch it alone.

When my local video shop was closing down they were flogging off all their ex-rental videos. A friend of mine bought an absolute ton of them at 50p a piece. Species was one of the films where when there was nudity the tracking would go haywire. All because of tape wear, when people would rewind, pause or even slo-mo those sections.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Unquestionably a contender for the greatest remake of all time. Still chilling, still one of the best endings of all time. The Abel Ferrara version was pretty good too, though.

It's phenomenally good. Everything about it - the atmosphere is perfect. It was a genius idea to move from the weirdness of those around you changing (as in the original) to urban isolation. It makes for a different theme, using the same idea, which is a great way to handle remakes/sequels. I need to go back and rewatch it.

• Paid Members

Replicas

This was actually sort of ok? Well, fairly entertaining at least, in its second half. The first half is boring and terrible but the second half is an improvement, but it could have been better if it settled on what it wanted to be. But not nearly the disaster I was led to believe it was.

Peter Hyams is fucking great, isn't he? Imagine taking on the thankless task of doing a sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey and making a film that more than stands up as a really good film in its own right. I love that guy.

Clara

One of those sad, romantic sci-fi films you get a lot of since fucking Interstellar except even shitter. Troian Bellisario is nice though.

• Paid Members

2010 is a wonderful movie. My da took me to see it in the pictures (he used to bring me to things he wanted to see) and I remember being stumped throughout and afraid of Helen Mirren's hair, but on running it back when I was old enough to half understand what it was about, I was fascinated by it, and still am to this day.
Europa Report is actually a good companion piece to this movie.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

If I recall, @bAzTNM#1 is a fan of 2010. 

He is indeed, remember him giving it a glowing write up on here not long after I'd joined.

10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

2010 is a wonderful movie. My da took me to see it in the pictures (he used to bring me to things he wanted to see) and I remember being stumped throughout and afraid of Helen Mirren's hair, but on running it back when I was old enough to half understand what it was about, I was fascinated by it, and still am to this day.
Europa Report is actually a good companion piece to this movie.

I quite liked Europa Report as well actually, it was a lot more thoughtful going into it than I expected.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Say what you want about 2010 but when I hear the phrase "My god it's full of stars!" The only thing I think about is that I never turned the volume off on the computer and now I'm going to get caught looking for nip slips and upskirts. 

In a just world, this will get dozens of upvotes.

• Paid Members

Revolver - Not even the Stath could save this. So spectacularly rambling and incoherent that I was very nearly amused by it. It's like fever dream of bad writing. Avoid.