DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

14 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Helluva backlog. It is great, I've seen it lots but not at all since the Spacey allegations. Still feels a bit grimy. 

Ro-lo To-maaasssi... 

Sadly wasn't the taped VHS copy. I'd actually forgotten he was in it until he first appeared. It's a conflicted watch because he's amazing in it but completely get how it would have that effect.

• Paid Members

VFW

Another Carpenter rip-off, completely terrible even with a good cast. Stephen Lang's name is, post-Don't Breathe (which is also shite), a guarantee of a bad time.

Blood on Her Name

Decent little thriller in it first half but like with so many recent low budget crime films, it doesn't build on a good start. Not worth bothering with.

The Brother from Another Planet

Superb sort of blaxploitation sci-fi, really well acted by Joe Morton in a rare lead role. Doesn't seem to be especially well known but one of the better films I've seen lately.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Brother from Another Planet

Superb sort of blaxploitation sci-fi, really well acted by Joe Morton in a rare lead role. Doesn't seem to be especially well known but one of the better films I've seen lately.

This was on TV around the time I was really into Troma and stuff when I was like 12 and I really like it. Despite him obviously being Miles Bennett Dyson above anything else I saw Joe Morton at a sci fi convention years ago and told him I loved Brother from another planet and he was really chuffed I brought it up.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

This was on TV around the time I was really into Troma and stuff when I was like 12 and I really like it. Despite him obviously being Miles Bennett Dyson above anything else I saw Joe Morton at a sci fi convention years ago and told him I loved Brother from another planet and he was really chuffed I brought it up.

He's a really good character actor but like most of those, he more than proves his worth with the odd lead role he gets.

Hired to Kill

A 1990 action film starring Brian Thompson (as a mercenary posing as a fashion designer), Oliver Reed (as a right-wing military git wanting to seize power somewhere or other) and George Kennedy (as a shady government agent). It's very stupidly enjoyable and very funny but there's a scene in this that I'm not even going to put in spoiler tags because you shouldn't be tempted to read what it is. Just watch it.

• Paid Members
On 2/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, Keith Houchen said:

If I recall, @bAzTNM#1 is a fan of 2010. 

It's a brilliantly wacky film. I love the tension building, the tension building, the tension building then... I also love me a bit of Roy Sheider.

A third film must have been planned because of the ending but it obviously didn't work out.

• Paid Members

Come to Daddy

Elijah Wood's run of quirky indie films continue to be a constant source of entertainment. A superb little thriller with extra marks for Michael Smiley's hair and some brilliant violence.

• Paid Members

The Invisible Man

I was just hoping for no jump scares and for Elisabeth Moss to kill it in a big lead role. I got both and one of the best and most stressful horror films for many a year. Whoever thought Leigh Whannell had this and Upgrade in him.

• Paid Members

Girl on the Third Floor

As appalling as has already been stated by a few others in this thread. Punk's dreadful but this is not a good role for him anyway and he's not the main problem with it. It's just really fucking boring.

Bloodline

Seann William Scott as a serial killer? Sure, why not. He's alright, I suppose, but this is a pretty tame Refn rip-off neon / electronica obsessed 'elevated horror' with repetitive murders and only really Dale Dickey to recommend it for.

• Paid Members

This is my thread now then.

Spenser Confidential

Be interested to see what fellow Peter Berg devotee @Scott Malbranque made of this. I thought it was one of Berg's worst. It tries to be a bit of about five or six different things rather than keeping things simple like Berg's films normally do. Iliza Shlesinger can't act either so she can add that to not being able to do comedy well. Really disappointing.

• Paid Members

Onward

Not Pixar's best but still better than most things. I enjoyed the sly dig at Disney about a world that used to have magic. Destroy the system from within.

Swallow

I'll watch anything for Haley Bennett but she finally got a role she deserved here. Really uncomfortable viewing but a great story, and film, with an amazing ending.

• Paid Members

Onward - better then a lot of the recent output from Pixar, at least it was original concept. Some good laughs and left me crying. 

The Black Hole - Not seem it since I was a kid, but had to watch it for an upcoming project. What a fucking clusterfuck. It could have been decent but even Robert Foster and Ernest Borgnine were awful in it

On 3/6/2020 at 10:42 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

This is my thread now then.

Spenser Confidential

Be interested to see what fellow Peter Berg devotee @Scott Malbranque made of this. I thought it was one of Berg's worst. It tries to be a bit of about five or six different things rather than keeping things simple like Berg's films normally do. Iliza Shlesinger can't act either so she can add that to not being able to do comedy well. Really disappointing.

I was thinking of an analogy to describe this and the best I could come up with was that they had the ingredients to make one really good  satisfying cake but made loads of average (probably vegan gluten free) cup cakes instead.

I'd be up for another go around because Winston Duke deserves better and Wahlberg and Arkin deliver what they deliver  but it missed the mark mostly. Chappelle stunk it up though.

My Neighbour Totoro is just wonderful. Felt like I was watching some fancy pants Raymond Briggs special but even better.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Overall I enjoyed this, although did think it picks up in the second half of the film (from where Pitt drops Pussycat back at the Manson Family ranch) after meandering a bit in the first.  A typically gruesome ending and I liked how that wasn't what I was expecting.  I would've liked then to expand more on Pitt's character supposedly getting away with murdering his wife though.  According to the end credits there were cameos form both Martin "Sensai John Kreese" Kove and James Remar, both of whom I didn't spot.