Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I was in a hurry to find something to watch last night because I just wanted to stick something in before my food got cold. We thought we'd watch something Christmassy, so browsed to the Christmas Comedies section in Netflix, and picked something that had an actor we recognised. 

Fuck me, Nativity is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It's just so absolutely soulless and terribly written and really poorly directed / edited.

Does that mean your not going to watch the rest of the Nativity Cinematic Universe (NCU)? I've yet to sit through one, but I have seen the posters and trailers and each sequel gets a lower and lower set of stars in them

My daughter loves the Nativity films.  If you don't like the first one, you sure as hell won't like the sequels.  Fortunately I have managed to avoid having to go and see Nativity: The Musical.

I watched the first and part of the second and I'm sure i remarked on here I was amazed they had cinematic releases. Yet, despite that I caught it on yesterday and I still sat through the end.  The kids love it. Stupid kids.

You're all terrible parents.  You should be raising your kids on a diet of Tarkovsky, Kurosawa and Lean.  They should have to watch an episode of Scenes From a Marriage when they get home from school every day.  For a Sunday afternoon entertainment they can tuck into any of Kieslowski's Three Colours. 

My daughter's not even allowed to watch tv. I inflicted that garbage only on myself (I don't count my wife as she paid zero attention once we realised it was shit and then eventually left the room) and have only myself to blame.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd watched Dirty Harry by the time I was 6. Fucking millennials.

I was born between 81 and 96 and I wouldn’t inflict this shit on my brood

I tried with the first one and she sat through Paper Moon and Breakfast at Tiffany's to be fair but you can't force the little fucks to like the stuff you do. It's a miracle if any of the others sit through anything longer than your standard Youtube vlog. I tried them on Christmas Vacation but it went straight over their heads and they probably just wondered why their dad thought everything the sleazy dad who acts like Will Ferrell did was hilarious.

6 Underground was classic Bay. Some bits 4 star, some bits 3 star and a lot of bits 2 star. My favourite bit was when one of the poor blokes fleeing a chemical attack in his fictional country was wearing a Sprite t-shirt. Too long also.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I tried with the first one and she sat through Paper Moon and Breakfast at Tiffany's to be fair but you can't force the little fucks to like the stuff you do. It's a miracle if any of the others sit through anything longer than your standard Youtube vlog. I tried them on Christmas Vacation but it went straight over their heads and they probably just wondered why their dad thought everything the sleazy dad who acts like Will Ferrell did was hilarious.

6 Underground was classic Bay. Some bits 4 star, some bits 3 star and a lot of bits 2 star. My favourite bit was when one of the poor blokes fleeing a chemical attack in his fictional country was wearing a Sprite t-shirt. Too long also.

The film or the T-Shirt?

50 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I was born between 81 and 96 and I wouldn’t inflict this shit on my brood

I mean, it's only one of the greatest films of the 1970s but you do YOU.

Now I'm feeling the urge to dig out the Dirty Harry DVD set.

Back on what we watched as kids.

I have "fond" memories of the likes of Evil Dead and Superstitions traumatising me. Evil Dead 2 is still the best Evil Dead.

Wasn't Superstitions released multiple times under different names? Sure there was multiple versions cut to varying degrees.

Haven't seen that one in decades though and I'm betting it's actually pretty shit in reality.

4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Now I'm feeling the urge to dig out the Dirty Harry DVD set.

Don't bother with The Enforcer or Sudden Impact and save youself some time.

Get Santa

Well, that was a lot fucking better, wasn't it? Last day of work for the year, kicked off the festive season with an actually good Christmas film that I've never seen before! Recommended. Jim Broadbent was great.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

JoJo Rabbit

This was eagerly anticipated by myself, and I loved it. Quirkiness wasn't overpowering.  Funny, tender, and emotional in many spots.  More Wilderpeople than Ragnarok.

Hustlers

A bit disappointing, really. Would probably have worked better as a comedy but Jennifer Lopez really is a great actress who has always deserved roles as good as this.