DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

My girlfriend likes Disney stuff and things of that nature so when she asked if we could watch The Banana Splits Movie, I thought she wanted to watch a nostalgic children’s film which would pass a couple of hours. 

Erm....I didn’t expect what I saw. 

51if0wq9YZL.jpg

More Molly Ringwald, this time Pretty in Pink.  I've taken to scouring charity shops and picking up cheap DVDs, finding this in a triple DVD set along with Flashdance and Footloose for 99p.  Ringwald plays Andi, a high school outcast from a poor background, who becomes the object of affections for Blaine (a rich kid and friends with the group who tease and make fun of her) and Duckie (her long time best-friend).  I got surprisingly emotionally invested in this and, without giving spoilers, although things didn't go the way I wanted, everyone in a sense got their "happy ending".  Andrew McCarthy is particularly bland with Jon Cryer as the standout of the three lead characters, although Annie Potts and James Spader are equally memorable in their supporting roles.  Spader playing an absolute c*** who you can't help but despise; the only issue is that he looks as though he's in his early 30's (he was actually 26) whilst playing a high school senior!  Cameo appearance from Andrew 'Dice' Clay which I'm sure some folk on the board will appreciate.

Also the use of racist language solely to justify putting the audience in the position of enjoying watching people beat the shit out of a women made me really uncomfortable.

But...everyone is a prick in it. Not entirely sure you're supposed to enjoy it. One of the guys who is doing it is the biggest racist in the film

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Factotum said:

But...everyone is a prick in it. Not entirely sure you're supposed to enjoy it. One of the guys who is doing it is the biggest racist in the film

Considering his last two films have ended with the cathartic beating of women, I think you are meant to enjoy it.

• Paid Members

Prime Cut

Genuinely one of the weirdest crime films of the 1970s. Gene Hackman, Sissy Spacek and Lee Marvin should be enough to make anyone watch it but there's so much more here. One of those great films that everyone should see once.

Sorcerer

Not the masterpiece it's been re-evaulated as in the last 20 years or so and not close to being one of William Friedkin's best. But the second hour of this is some of the most nervewracking stuff you'll ever watch.

Considering his last two films have ended with the cathartic beating of women, I think you are meant to enjoy it.

OUATIH, without spoiling it, yes you enjoy it because fuck them.

H8 is lost of shitty characters getting fucked over. I didn't see it the way you did, but not saying you're incorrect.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Prime Cut

Genuinely one of the weirdest crime films of the 1970s. Gene Hackman, Sissy Spacek and Lee Marvin should be enough to make anyone watch it but there's so much more here. One of those great films that everyone should see once.

Sorcerer

Not the masterpiece it's been re-evaulated as in the last 20 years or so and not close to being one of William Friedkin's best. But the second hour of this is some of the most nervewracking stuff you'll ever watch.

Sorcerer is on YouTube. I tried to sit through it a while back because I'd heard it was flawed but had some great tension that was strangely compared to the driving missions in GTA but it was too late to sit through. I'll get back to it at some point.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Sorcerer is on YouTube. I tried to sit through it a while back because I'd heard it was flawed but had some great tension that was strangely compared to the driving missions in GTA but it was too late to sit through. I'll get back to it at some point.

It's not as good as The Wages of Fear but it is shorter and also has a much better ending.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I've never seen Sorcerer but I'm very, very intrigued so I'll give that a wee rally tonight.
I'll just tell the missus that your man from Jaws is in it and she'll go "Ah, Jaws. I liked Jaws." Be grand.

Highly recommend you watch Prime Cut as well, can't imagine you not liking it. 

• Paid Members

Oh I absolutely loved Prime Cut. I'd watch Lee Marvin in anything, though. I think the last time I watched it was around the time my son was born when I went on my grimy 70s crime binge, so I'm thinking around '01.

Definitely going to rewatch that now after you jogging it back up the queue in my memory, D-Mal.