DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I walked into the sitting room after reading my daughter Oi! Frog, Oi! Cat, Oi! Dog and Oi! Duck Billed Playpus for bedtime and the missus was engrossed in Terminator 2, which I wasn’t expecting, beca

My poor missus had to put up with me kicking off over the whole debacle when I walked in the door last night after it. The poor woman. She was only about to get into bed and had to deal with a 39 year

Speaking of Jack Lemmon, my brother once worked at the Box Office in The Strand theatre.  Jack Lemmon was performing in a play there, he seemed down to earth but kept himself to himself.  Out of respe

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That is pretty scathing coming from someone who watches teen movies and romcoms all the time.

I probably enjoyed Let It Snow more to be honest!

Big year for film in 2020...sequel to To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before February 12th 🥳

• Moderators

Every time I saw let it snow on the Netflix epg all I could think was "Le tits now", a la SNL celebrity jeopardy.

Anyway. I watched Downsizing last night. Decent little flick. Christoph Waltz is just fucking brilliant though, isn't he? I've never seen a bad performance from him. The best moment of the whole film was his shit-eating grin when

they're on the boat and Paul and the Viet girl greet them in the morning after the night when they hook up

• Paid Members

Downsizing got a panning when it was released but I quite liked it too. One of those films with a great idea that actually explores it rather intelligently.

• Moderators

Yeah I can only imagine that people saw Kristen Wiig and thought it was supposed to be a comedy..?

Either that or Paul was just a bit too much of a wet blanket for them. Which I could understand. But I think again they would be confusing the fact that the is the protagonist with expecting him to be a hero. That might be a Matt Damon problem similar to the Wiig problem.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
  • Paid Members

I put off seeing it @Chest Rockwell because the trailer made it out to be a comedy, and my friend went to a preview screening and called it terrible. It was definitely mis-marketed. I will give it a watch now it’s on Netflix though

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I can only imagine that people saw Kristen Wiig and thought it was supposed to be a comedy..?

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I put off seeing it @Chest Rockwell because the trailer made it out to be a comedy, and my friend went to a preview screening and called it terrible. It was definitely mis-marketed.

Yes, it very much looked like Damon getting screwed over by Wiig and the hilarious consequences of this in the cinema trailers.  Then it turns out that was only the first third of the film.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Perhaps, plus the awful trailer didn't help, as has been mentioned. Wiig suffered similarly with Welcome to Me, which also had a bad trailer but was actually quite a serious drama about mental health in places.

Jojo Rabbit

It spent the entire time trying it's hardest not to be a Wes Anderson movie even though it obviously really wanted to be one. The kid who played Jojo was great though and the best bit of the entire film was his little mate in the glasses. Shame he wasn't in it more.

Overall, meh. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

• Paid Members

47 Meters Down: Uncaged

There's a reason nobody's complaining this hasn't been released over here yet. Johannes Roberts is the worst director on the planet.

• Paid Members

Jojo Rabbit

If Waititi had just focused on the central storyline of Thomasin McKenzie hiding in Scarlett Johansson's house, I think this could have been really good. But all the slapstick shit and imaginary Hitler just made this a weird mess that isn't very funny or insightful. Waititi is a one trick pony and it's a shame because he clearly has talent for comedy and drama, he just rarely knows how to fuse them or when the two *should* mix. McKenzie is a fantastic young talent though (brilliant in Leave No Trace with my boy Ben Foster) and Johansson is doing some fantastic work right now, even by her high standards.

• neil locked this topic