Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Jojo Rabbit was everything I hoped. 2020 has really started off with a bang. Hope it gets some attention during rewards season.

I don’t recall being confused by Dunkirk, but it was definitely unengaging and unmemorable. All the characters were dull blank canvases. As recent WW2 movies go, it is utter shite compared to brilliance like Jojo Rabbit and Overlord.

Speaking of Overlord, I watched Kurt Russell Jr in Ingrid Goes West last night. Very well observed performances, particularly from Olsen. Script could’ve been better, but I really enjoyed it overall.

Wyatt Russell is great. He was superb in that Black Mirror episode he was in too.

The Farewell

An absolutely beautiful film, so charming and full of warmth. Awkwafina should’ve been nominated for everything (yes I know awards mean nothing)

Queen & Slim

Is Daniel Kaluuya the most watchable actor that isn’t named Adam Driver? I think he might be. Again, an absolute joy and I can’t wait to read some interesting reactions to this.

Jojo Rabbit

Incredibly disappointing. Twee, over sentimental bollocks that is tonally all over the place. Stephen Merchant is the best thing about it. The girl I saw it with loved it. I don’t think I’ll see her again.

I think Jojo Rabbit is going to be a Marmite movie to be fair

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Twee, over sentimental bollocks

That is pretty scathing coming from someone who watches teen movies and romcoms all the time.

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

That is pretty scathing coming from someone who watches teen movies and romcoms all the time.

I probably enjoyed Let It Snow more to be honest!

Big year for film in 2020...sequel to To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before February 12th 🥳

Every time I saw let it snow on the Netflix epg all I could think was "Le tits now", a la SNL celebrity jeopardy.

Anyway. I watched Downsizing last night. Decent little flick. Christoph Waltz is just fucking brilliant though, isn't he? I've never seen a bad performance from him. The best moment of the whole film was his shit-eating grin when

they're on the boat and Paul and the Viet girl greet them in the morning after the night when they hook up

Downsizing got a panning when it was released but I quite liked it too. One of those films with a great idea that actually explores it rather intelligently.

Yeah I can only imagine that people saw Kristen Wiig and thought it was supposed to be a comedy..?

Either that or Paul was just a bit too much of a wet blanket for them. Which I could understand. But I think again they would be confusing the fact that the is the protagonist with expecting him to be a hero. That might be a Matt Damon problem similar to the Wiig problem.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I put off seeing it @Chest Rockwell because the trailer made it out to be a comedy, and my friend went to a preview screening and called it terrible. It was definitely mis-marketed. I will give it a watch now it’s on Netflix though

Yeah. I just watched the trailer now. I admire the fact that it didn't give away the whole fucking plot but it is definitely sold as a light comedic affair. Very poor. Shame!

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I can only imagine that people saw Kristen Wiig and thought it was supposed to be a comedy..?

3 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I put off seeing it @Chest Rockwell because the trailer made it out to be a comedy, and my friend went to a preview screening and called it terrible. It was definitely mis-marketed.

Yes, it very much looked like Damon getting screwed over by Wiig and the hilarious consequences of this in the cinema trailers.  Then it turns out that was only the first third of the film.

56 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Perhaps, plus the awful trailer didn't help, as has been mentioned. Wiig suffered similarly with Welcome to Me, which also had a bad trailer but was actually quite a serious drama about mental health in places.