DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I rewatched Tetsuo: The Iron Man and it's still just as an amazing spectacle as ever, the practical effects are outstanding especially for something I'm guessing was on a low budget. It's as weird as Eraserhead but just so much more frantic.

• Paid Members

I walked into the sitting room after reading my daughter Oi! Frog, Oi! Cat, Oi! Dog and Oi! Duck Billed Playpus for bedtime and the missus was engrossed in Terminator 2, which I wasn’t expecting, because usually when I walk into the sitting room after my daughters’ bedtime, I’m greeted with some cunt cooking for other cunts, or some cunt fixing up an already grand gaff for entitled cunts.

Terminator 2 is quite a good movie though, isn’t it? I haven’t watched it in a long time, so just some thoughts:

1 – Linda Hamilton looks like Emilia Clarke mixed with Axl Rose viewed through the eyes of someone who has ingested Konlabos.

1 (b) – I still would.

2 – 30 years on and it looks so much better than most CGI driven movies do now.

3 – John Connor is a little shitebag. Those poor bodybuilders were only trying to help him and he got them a hiding.

4 – I never noticed Sarah Connor was wearing Kyle Reese’s jacket when walking into Cyberdyne until last nights viewing.

5 – I also never twigged before – in Myles Dysons’ gaff -  that Sarah Connor threw an overacting hissy fit because of the Terminator (from the first movies’) chip being found by Cyberdyne. Never grasped what they were even talking about in all those viewings before. I just nodded along.

6 – Miles Dyson die breathing sounds like the noise my missus makes when she gets on top and does that bum pump up and down thing. I’ll never, ever ask her to - or let her - do that again. And I’m now dreading it if I’m in a situation where I don’t have a choice, because I’ll just think of Joe Morton.

7 – It's a lot more violent than I remember. And maybe I'm getting old or maybe it was the Ardbeg whiskey, but I felt very sad for the poor oullad who got out of the Liquid Nitrogen truck to be greeted by an arm knife through the chest.

8 - I know why John Connor cries. I still cry at the end.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I rewatched Tetsuo: The Iron Man and it's still just as an amazing spectacle as ever, the practical effects are outstanding especially for something I'm guessing was on a low budget. It's as weird as Eraserhead but just so much more frantic.

Remember seeing scenes from this for the first in film studies 15 years ago and it freaking me the fuck out and not wanting to entertain any notion of any form of reproduction. 

• Paid Members
On 3/2/2020 at 5:05 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Brother from Another Planet

Superb sort of blaxploitation sci-fi, really well acted by Joe Morton in a rare lead role. Doesn't seem to be especially well known but one of the better films I've seen lately.

I hadn't watched it since I was a teenager but it was fresh in my mind from your post when I had some really bad news recently so I stuck it on. I had no idea what to do with myself and the weird quiet atmosphere and loose story was fitting for my mood.

Joe Morton is so great at being other-worldly in it, they hang the entire film on you believing he's an alien despite him not wearing a costume or saying anything so it's pretty important he nails it. I normally like special effects and stuff on my aliens but he really does pull it off.

It's also a really nice street level look at early 80s New York, nearly the whole film is him strolling around and the city and going in and out of places. I forgot how incredibly dry the two baddies were, they were funny.

The whole thing is on YouTube for anyone that wants to see it, it did seem to have a couple of sections with no sound for a couple of minutes but it doesn't really affect the film.

2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Remember seeing scenes from this for the first in film studies 15 years ago and it freaking me the fuck out and not wanting to entertain any notion of any form of reproduction. 

You mean you don't want a Drill Dick?

• Paid Members

I watched Ben Affleck's brand new basketball/addiction drama The Way Back because I don't get to see him as Batman anymore. It was fine but I think it was written by a bot that had seen nothing but sports films.

I love Ben Affleck I don't know why people say he's not a good actor, he totally pulled off playing a tall alcoholic.

Just now, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I watched Ben Affleck's brand new basketball/addiction drama The Way Back because I don't get to see him as Batman anymore. It was fine but I think it was written by a bot that had seen nothing but sports films.

I love Ben Affleck I don't know why people say he's not a good actor, he totally pulled off playing a tall alcoholic.

Who says this? He's an excellent actor and has been since he stopped doing that stupid "big toothy cheesy grin" thing all throughout his films. See Surviving Christmas for the worst example. Or don't see it obviously. It's fucking awful.

• Moderators

And George Clooney was the only good one (in films. Adam West is also acceptable if counting telly). So it's not much of a prize. 

Death Wish was on ITV4 on Monday and is still amazing and after it I finally watched Foxcatcher after it. The two hours flew by and I didn't go for a fag or piss once during it which is like an Oscar in my eyes. Steve Carell was ace in it. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Who says this? He's an excellent actor and has been since he stopped doing that stupid "big toothy cheesy grin" thing all throughout his films. See Surviving Christmas for the worst example. Or don't see it obviously. It's fucking awful.

I say this. I hate him and his stupid fucking face. Granted I haven't watched any of the films he's made since he got good in Japan and came back. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not watched Foxcatcher in ages, but really enjoyed it when I saw it. It’s grim as fuck, but a great watch and I’d give anything to have a Team Foxcatcher trackietop. Mark Schultz fucking hates it by all accounts

Fuck yeah. That'd be up there with a velour 2003 Team Angle trackie! 

Just now, PowerButchi said:

Death Wish was on ITV4 on Monday and is still amazing and after it I finally watched Foxcatcher after it. The two hours flew by and I didn't go for a fag or piss once during it which is like an Oscar in my eyes. Steve Carell was ace in it. 

Yeah, Carell was excellent as the pathetic, desperate Du Pont.  I didn't think of Michael Scott once when I watched it which is a huge credit to him as the two nigh on blur into one with me.

• Paid Members

The Hunt

If you thought Damon Lindelof couldn't fuck up a simple The Most Dangerous Game / Hard Target / Surviving the Game story, guess again. Betty Gilpin is great but this is absolutely pathetic and unnecessarily politicised bollocks.