DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Betty Gilpin remains the main sell for me but I'll wait until it's a regular rental rather than a home cinema price.

It's not even worth a Putlockering.

Watched TOO LATE on Prime the other day mainly as John Hawkes is in it and he's great in everything. LA Noir with him playing a PI. All the scenes are one long takes and they're pretty well done. Anyway, its not going to pull up any tress but its enjoyable to watch with the story not in order so various things are revealed to you at different times. It works well in this rather than as a Pulp Fiction rip off gimmick. Would recommend checking it out as I hadn't heard anything about it and it was a good way to spend 100 mins

• Paid Members

The Conversation

I'm absolutely sure this is Coppola's greatest film now, there's no question. I really want to rewatch Enemy of the State now as well, another reason why I'm glad I watched this again.

Foxtrot Six

Indonesia can stop making action films now, thanks. Over-long and stupid as usual, it was always going to be downhill after The Night Comes for Us.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Fruity French art erotica just like they used to make in the 80s and 90s and show on Channel 4 on Sunday nights. By way of a bonus, also a really excellent film, which helps.

Major_league_ii.jpg

Major League II was on the Sony Movie channel earlier and if I have seen it before it was a long, long time ago, which is strange considering how many times I must've watched the first film.  I did miss the opening half hour but I don't think I missed much.  The team are back together for another season, if a little older looking, with one exception, Wesley Snipes clearly thought better of returning and they drafted in another actor to reprise the role of Willie Hayes, while Jake Taylor's dodgy knees mean he's hung up his spikes and is now assistant coach.  The plot is practically identical to the first although there is a sub-plot of fame having gone to Rick Vaughn's head and him having a crisis of confidence as he loses the zip on his fast ball.  If you've seen the first film you know how this one is going to end.  I did get a kick out of Vaughn returning to his "Wild Thing" ways at the end complete with glasses and parts of his hair shaved as the tuned blared out in the stadium.  Bob Uecker is great again and Margaret Whitton is quality in her cameo role. I could've done without the stereotypical Japanese character who signs for the Indians mid-way through the season though. In all honesty it's not the best and not a patch on the first but I don't resent watching it.

• Paid Members

I quite like the Major League films but Mr. Baseball is better.

The best baseball film aside from Eight Men Out is The Bad News Bears though.

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I still don't think I've ever seen the first one but I used to love major League 2

Find it, it's really great.

They both are.

Dumb & Dumber

Watched it with the kids (few bits were covered with coughs but i thought there was more to hide from them to be honest) but its still stupid and funny, even though 7yo thought the "selling the dead bird to a blind kid" was awful and it upset her a bit.

I just laughed at it again.

Hustlers

Good fun and a great soundtrack. Will never not enjoy hearing E-Talking appear in anything.

Jennifer Lopez's stripping? 11/10.

• Paid Members

Race With the Devil

Absolutely ridiculously entertaining 1970s road movie / occult chiller as Peter Fonda and Warren Oates fend off Texan devil worshippers. Absolutely no way you don't enjoy this.

Cold Souls

Similar to Eternal Sunshine, if not nearly as good, but still enjoyable enough mainly thanks to Paul Giamatti as (sort of) himself and Katheryn Winnick dancing.

The Sting

Had to give it another spin after the recent discussion about it on here. Just everything that cinema can be - it's both totally entertaining but also artistically and creatively brilliant. Easily one of the greatest films ever made.

• Paid Members

We treated my daughter to Trolls: World Tour tonight. £15.99 for a 48 rental, but it would have cost about £20 for a trip to the cinema had it been opened.

Inoffensive. seemed pretty similar to the first film but I have sat through far worse kids films of late.

i quite like this early release policy. I still don’t think it will change my viewing habits with a cinema trip for most things. But it will come in handy if this policy keeps on when cinemas re-open. However it will be interesting to see how well this does. It doesn’t get released in the US until Friday and was streaming in the usual illegal places first thing this morning

• Paid Members

I actually watched a film that wasn't a U. It was only Shazam but still, small victory. I quite enjoyed it. Not sure when I last watched a superhero film. Unless Kick-ass counts, it's probably Superman 2. Anyway, I enjoyed Shazam. Was all a bit daft and seriously cheesy but that's to be expected. Funny bits were all in the trailer though.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I actually watched a film that wasn't a U. It was only Shazam but still, small victory. I quite enjoyed it. Not sure when I last watched a superhero film. Unless Kick-ass counts, it's probably Superman 2. Anyway, I enjoyed Shazam. Was all a bit daft and seriously cheesy but that's to be expected. Funny bits were all in the trailer though.

It’s probably my favourite DC film. And the sequel will have The Rock in it