Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Yeah it was definitely sold as a 'Honey We Shrunk the Grown-Ups' mad cap comedy. And who are these people who don't love Matty D?

Edited by Mr_Danger

Jojo Rabbit

It spent the entire time trying it's hardest not to be a Wes Anderson movie even though it obviously really wanted to be one. The kid who played Jojo was great though and the best bit of the entire film was his little mate in the glasses. Shame he wasn't in it more.

Overall, meh. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.

47 Meters Down: Uncaged

There's a reason nobody's complaining this hasn't been released over here yet. Johannes Roberts is the worst director on the planet.

Vox Lux

Another shit film about a child star gone off the rails. A couple of decent songs but overall I'm glad I didn't pay to see this.

Jojo Rabbit

If Waititi had just focused on the central storyline of Thomasin McKenzie hiding in Scarlett Johansson's house, I think this could have been really good. But all the slapstick shit and imaginary Hitler just made this a weird mess that isn't very funny or insightful. Waititi is a one trick pony and it's a shame because he clearly has talent for comedy and drama, he just rarely knows how to fuse them or when the two *should* mix. McKenzie is a fantastic young talent though (brilliant in Leave No Trace with my boy Ben Foster) and Johansson is doing some fantastic work right now, even by her high standards.

Yeah JOJO Rabbit was disappointing as I really like his other films. Seemed really muddled. First misfire for me from him.

You know Jojo Rabbit is essentially a film based on a child’s experience in WW2. That’s why it’s got some silly shit right? 1 trick pony? I’ve yet to see Boy, but seen everything else, and other then the fact they all have comedic moments, I don’t agree with him being a 1 trick pony

Little Women

May have seen my favourite film of 2020 already.  I didn't mind the way it altered the structure of the book to make it more filmic.  Gorgeous.

17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You know Jojo Rabbit is essentially a film based on a child’s experience in WW2. That’s why it’s got some silly shit right? 

Settle down Soapo, I wasn't asking for it to be Shoah or owt.

Burning

It’s a Korean film I added to my DVD collection this afternoon so I decided to watch it as soon as I got home, weird to see Steven Yeun(Walking Dead) play such a mysterious character throughout, it’s a slow burner but picks up as soon as he appears and just has you wondering up until the end as well as afterwards.

17 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Burning

It’s a Korean film I added to my DVD collection this afternoon so I decided to watch it as soon as I got home, weird to see Steven Yeun(Walking Dead) play such a mysterious character throughout, it’s a slow burner but picks up as soon as he appears and just has you wondering up until the end as well as afterwards.

It’s on Sky Movies tonight, been added to the NowTV library. 

56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Settle down Soapo, I wasn't asking for it to be Shoah or owt.

It’s still funnier then Baywatch

Thunder Road was added to Netflix recently. We watched it tonight - what a brilliantly written and performed film with Jim Cummings (who, as well as writing and acting, directed the thing!) as a man on the edge of a breakdown trying his best to get through it. Full, complex characters that feel so complete and really make you care about them. All recommendations to Thunder Road.

The Informer

Quite enjoyed this. I don't think much of Joel Kinnaman as a lead and this would have benefitted from someone with actual charisma in the lead, plus Ana de Armas doesn't get much to do. But it's second half is a really good prison thriller with a quality ending. Worth tracking down, wish I'd gone to see it at the cinema.