DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Grimy 1970s crime is definitely my favourite thing in films. I've watched tons of them and the supply doesn't seem to be running out.

Going to be rewatching The Outfit and The Friends of Eddie Coyle over the next few days, the latter especially is brilliant.

• Paid Members

Ooh yeah, it's been near the top of my list for a while. Definitely one I'm keeping an eye out for.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is definitely one of my favourites. Peter Yates is one of my favourite directors too - Robbery, Bullitt and The Hot Rock are other cracking crime films by him from around that time.

Blinded By The Light

Just fucking brilliant. An absolute joy to watch and it works so well. Not the most well written or acted film I've ever seen, but it has more heart and warmth in a film than I've watched in a long time, and you can't help but be charmed by it.

Still a bit weepy from the final scenes to be honest.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Blinded By The Light

Just fucking brilliant. An absolute joy to watch and it works so well. Not the most well written or acted film I've ever seen, but it has more heart and warmth in a film than I've watched in a long time, and you can't help but be charmed by it.

Still a bit weepy from the final scenes to be honest.

My mate is a massive Springsteen fan but says the guy who the film is based on is a massive bellend so I didn’t bother with it.

if you tell me it’s better then Yesterday then I may give it a go now it’s on Prime

Shutter Island

Haven’t seen it since the cinema and if ever a film rewards a second viewing it is this.  Watching the secondary characters react to what they know is happening whilst the protagonist is unaware is amazing.  On first watch the film seems a bit odd and disjointed but on repeat it all makes sense.  Some amazing fucked up bits and edits that they throw in too, like where the woman drinks an invisible glass of water.   Very clever film making.

True Romance

I still really love it, and think Christian Slater is such an incredibly underrated actor, and Hopper gives me chills.

Amores Perros has just been added to Prime. Absolutely worth your time, one of the first foreign language films that I fell in love with (along with Nine Queens around the same time)

6 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Wasn't Slater touted as the next Nicholson? Less under rated more wasted talent.

Yeah, perhaps that's a better way of looking at it to be fair. Still don't see him get anywhere near enough credit for the (good) films he did though

Watch Pump Up The Volume for peak Slater.  Completely agree he’s been wasted to some extent, a really great film presence.

40 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Wasn't Slater touted as the next Nicholson? Less under rated more wasted talent.

What should have been his career peak, the mid to late 90's, he was too busy doing ridiculous amounts of heroin and coke. He was arrested for beating up in his girlfriend and a police officer around this time. He must have burned alot of bridges. Not many people wanted to work with him for the longest time and he ended up in Straight To DVD hell. 

The last few years he was great in Mr Robot and seems to have got his personal life together though.