DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

B00Q3DLD68.jpg

Nightcrawler got recommended to me by someone and boy is it a fucked up dark tale.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays Lewis Bloom, best described as a chancer, who accidentally stumbles across the world of Stringers, people who video tape things (primarily crimes or accidents it seems) and sell the footage to news stations.  Bloom gets drawn more and more into this world, learning that stations will pay a higher premium for more graphic footage.  It's seriously dark and Gyllenhaal is excellent playing Bloom, a man who has no moral compass and will do whatever it takes to further his career.  Great to see Rene Russo in this too as the station's director who ends up finding a kindred spirit in Bloom.  Engrossing stuff.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The rest of it? Todd Philips makes a tribute to Taxi Drive and people think it’s the 2nd coming because it’s classed as a comic book movie. When really it’s just bang average with some really shitty shoehorning of the Batman universe in it. But it’s from the director of The Hangover so it shows he’s got range or something.

yeah, I didn’t rate it other then Zazie Beats  and Joaquin’s performance 

This is such a lukewarm take, that i've just sat in a bath of it and added hot water.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The rest of it? Todd Philips makes a tribute to Taxi Drive and people think it’s the 2nd coming because it’s classed as a comic book movie. When really it’s just bang average with some really shitty shoehorning of the Batman universe in it. But it’s from the director of The Hangover so it shows he’s got range or something.

yeah, I didn’t rate it other then Zazie Beats  and Joaquin’s performance 

Can't disagree although the way some of it was framed, wouldn't be surprised if Phillips thought the story mirrored his shitty career.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This is such a lukewarm take, that i've just sat in a bath of it and added hot water.

You’ll have to see what I wrote about it back in October in here. I probably said it was the best film I’d ever seen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

B00Q3DLD68.jpg

Nightcrawler got recommended to me by someone and boy is it a fucked up dark tale.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays Lewis Bloom, best described as a chancer, who accidentally stumbles across the world of Stringers, people who video tape things (primarily crimes or accidents it seems) and sell the footage to news stations.  Bloom gets drawn more and more into this world, learning that stations will pay a higher premium for more graphic footage.  It's seriously dark and Gyllenhaal is excellent playing Bloom, a man who has no moral compass and will do whatever it takes to further his career.  Great to see Rene Russo in this too as the station's director who ends up finding a kindred spirit in Bloom.  Engrossing stuff.

Gyllenhaal should have won all the awards for his turn in this. I'm still a little baffled it doesn't get nearly the plaudits it deserves. Creepy, fragile, menacing, desperate, tragic, driven - usually all in one scene.

Birds of Prey is sadly underwhelming. Margot Robbie turns in her usual good performance but despite some really fun and colourful action scenes, it's a little dull. The story, as it unfolds, isn't all that interesting and a lot of the try hard quirky dialogue isn't good enough so produced a few groans. Shame because it starts well, giving you some false hope.

• Paid Members

Warner can't help themselves. Whether that be hiring shite like Zak Snyder to be a major player in their universe building, or forever chopping and changing their movies no matter how jarring it is to the initial direction and the eventual final product.

46 minutes ago, Loki said:

DC just can’t make a decent movie from there IP can they?  Wonder Woman being the honourable exception.

Man of Steel is pretty solid. I'm no fan of a cape films, but I've always had a soft spot for Superman ever since I was a yoof. I really enjoyed this. 

• Paid Members

There's something wrong with the aesthetic of Justice League. It looks very unpolished in a lot of places. Flash and Cyborg just look wrong. Wonder Woman got it right. That's a fantastic film to look at.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Fucking hell, Dev, you’ve got the spandex spackers banging on outside their thread. I bet you’re doing a dance on the staircase. 

That was the best scene, by the way.

Macon County Line

Continuing my run of 70s crime films and another one I reckon @Scott Malbranque will love. Unusual in that it starts off almost like a comedy, turns into a thriller, and then almost ends up like a slasher film. I do love these 'hicksploitation' thrillers as well, Race with the Devil and Southern Comfort are two other great examples of them. Fun fact about it too - it was the most profitable film of 1974, making 120 times its budget, and yet it's almost unheard of today. It's a cracking film though, well worth finding.

Bundy: A Legacy of Evil (2008)

I paid 10p for this from a charity shop (sealed) and if I still had the receipt would go and get my money back.  An appalling excuse for a movie, with the blurb on the cover of the DVD sleeve claiming "one of the best serial killer films to date".  That hideous lie came courtesy of something called GoreZone magazine and I'm now doubtful such a magazine even exists. Thirty minutes was all I managed of this before switching it off.  The film looks like something you would find on Five USA at one in the morning and contains some of the worst acting I've seen in a long time.  Corin Nemec plays Ted Bundy whose attempts at menacing and terrifying are laughable.  What is equally laughable is when we get the high school scenes of Bundy meeting Stephanie.  We don't get a younger actor playing the high school Bundy, no 37 year old Nemec, and this isn't a young 37 year old looking man.  Jen Nikolaisen, who plays Stephanie, is very easy on the eye but that's the only remotely positive thing I can take this.  Don't waste your time.  Shite.

• Paid Members

Galveston (2018)

I was very impressed by this. It just appeared on Sky Premiere, I read Ben Foster was in it and that was enough for me, it had to be worth a watch. Going in I kind of expected that it might be a reasonable film carried completely by Foster likely being excellent, but the other characters more than hold their own as well, and Foster doesn't disappoint. 

Ford Vs Ferrari/Le Mans '66

I watched this last night with my brother, we'd meant to see it in the cinema at the time but didn't get round to it. Not being a car enthusiast, I didn't know much of the story going in, but I thought this was a tonne of fun. Damon and especially Bale were very good, with Josh Lucas playing a detestable prick really well, which wouldn't be something I associate him with.

Despite being a long film, it zipped along nice and briskly, which I guess makes sense considering the subject. The race scenes had me on the edge of my seat, anticipating disaster with every turn. Honourable mention to Caitriona Balfe, who put in a shift as Bale's wife. In the few key scenes she had, I thought she was excellent. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Galveston (2018)

I was very impressed by this. It just appeared on Sky Premiere, I read Ben Foster was in it and that was enough for me, it had to be worth a watch. Going in I kind of expected that it might be a reasonable film carried completely by Foster likely being excellent, but the other characters more than hold their own as well, and Foster doesn't disappoint. 

Yes, it was very good. Melanie Laurent directed it, better known for her acting, but she also directed Breathe, a French psychological thriller which is one long anxiety attack, but in a very good way. Brilliant film.