DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

Isn't that as much to protect the lower leagues?  If the entire Premier League slate were available to watch at 3pm would many casually go to a local League 1 game?

That's the line given yeah. In my opinion it's archaic and not relevant at all, but for another time and a place I guess.

• Awards Moderator

@Devon Malcolm choice is the key and I think you're very lucky. /kayfabe but Soapdish and I have the same local cinema, and it's a million screen Cineworld and it's bland as fuck. Full of 19 year olds on first dates, and young bleary eyed parents checking on the babysitter. The other option is a similarly tedious Odeon. The nearest independent is an Everyman about 30 minutes drive away and costs an absolute fortune. (Soapdish, I'm not counting the Movie Starr). 

Whenever the 'what would you do with a lottery win' game comes up, I always say I'd build a proper indie cinema, ignoring the new AAA releases and doing seasons of directors or themes, combined with silly marathons like Alien films or Lord of the Rings. Try and get B movie stars in for Q&A events, that sort of thing. And really shake up the seating options beyond rows of cramming them in. 

I can't speak to football because it's the worst thing in all humanity, but I guess the communal aspect is part of the experience which separates it from cinema where you're supposed to be quiet and ignore everyone? 

Edited by Onyx2

4 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Whenever the 'what would you do with a lottery win' game comes up, I always say I'd build a proper indie cinema, ignoring the new AAA releases and doing seasons of directors or themes, combined with silly marathons like Alien films or Lord of the Rings. Try and get B movie stars in for Q&A events, that sort of thing. And really shake up the seating options beyond rows of cramming them in. 

Basically The Prince Charles Cinema, which is a wonderful place. It's a dream of mine too if I was rich. That and a record label.

5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I can't speak to football because it's the worst thing in all humanity, but I guess the communal aspect is part of the experience which separates it from cinema where you're supposed to be quiet and ignore everyone? 

JUST LIKE THE EMIRATES THEN (sorry, not sorry).

My point was more along the lines that I think casual goers of football, festivals, cinema will not stop going to said things in the same manner when this all blows over and as such I can't see the giants of those things struggling. Just my opinion though. 

18 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

My point was more along the lines that I think casual goers of football

The ones who see it as entertainment instead of sport, the ones who want ten passes where one will do.  Quite frankly the sooner they piss off the better. #NoPrawnSandwiches

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I think cinema is a different category though. All the other things you mention depend on the tribal, convivial atmosphere. 

Is there not room for that kind of thing in cinema attendance though?

I mean, sure, the vast majority of films you go and see you want people to just be quiet and watch. But about half the times I go to the cinema, I'm off to see kids' films. There has been some utter shit that I've been to that has been brightened up by kids being kids and adding to the experience. I went to a dreadful film called Duck Duck Goose a couple of years ago where a squirrel kept calling a goose a badger in a repeated gag. After a while, this little girl near us shot up out of her seat and yelled "HE'S NOT A BADGER! HE IS A GOOSE!"

Plus, although they sound like the absolute worst kind of hell to me, there are screenings of certain films where audience participation is encouraged. Stuff like The Greatest Showman, Houchen's favourite The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and my favourite The Room.

The Light also actively promote themselves as a 'sociable cinema'. Like I say, I reckon diversification is key to cinema attendance at the very least remaining steady. Like you, I get the hump if someone goes on their phone in the middle of a film, so I get what you're saying. But I also actually have to my phone on in case I get a call from school, so different people *can* have legitimate reasons for occasionally checking it. If they're playing Candy Crush then yeah, fuck those guys.

• Awards Moderator

There's things to unpick there, there's general film going (which is shit if you can't go in the middle of the day like you can) and there's cinema as theatre which is slightly different, the singalongs, kids showings, autism-friendly showings etc. 

I also suspect when you check your phone you're either a) 1 of 3 people in the screening or b) very discreetly hide it in your jacket. Not the twonks that hold it up in front of their face on full brightness. 

• Paid Members

If you want to support independent cinemas right now, it's worth checking if they sell memberships and gift vouchers online. I've done it for a couple I love (including the Prince Charles, which is a wonderful place).

• Awards Moderator

To get back on topic I watched:

Samurai Cop: pure escapist nonsense. Has one of those 'worst films ever' badges but I can honestly say I wasn't bored during a second of it so it's an absolute triumph. Put together in such a monumentally inept way it's impossible not to enjoy. 

Knives Out: as much a treat as everyone says it is. Glorious chunks of ham abound. The entire cast appear to be having a riot, especially D. Craig. 

59 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Houchen's favourite The Rocky Horror Picture Show

taylor swift sugar GIF

Although I think the tribal element can be ascribed to certain fandoms, look at the reaction you get from some quarters for daring to question a Marvel film, or a Tarantino film?  Or, heaven forfend, if you make a Star Wars film have a person of colour or a woman leading the fight.

24 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

To get back on topic I watched:

Samurai Cop: pure escapist nonsense. Has one of those 'worst films ever' badges but I can honestly say I wasn't bored during a second of it so it's an absolute triumph. Put together in such a monumentally inept way it's impossible not to enjoy. 

Knives Out: as much a treat as everyone says it is. Glorious chunks of ham abound. The entire cast appear to be having a riot, especially D. Craig. 

Watch the OSW Review of Samurai Cop 1 and 2. Incredibly funny.

• Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, Factotum said:

RedLetter Media also interviewed the main actor from Samurai Cop a few years back. Interesting stories from him and seems a nice bloke.

Yes I first heard about it from RLM. The main actor is such a cool guy.