DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolm It's grim for the sake of being grim. Like every other 'creepy' movie nowadays. A very hopeless movie in all aspects is the best way I can describe it, D-Mal. She loved it though...and Imogen Poots has a lovely demeanour to her whenever she's on screen in anything - and a truly wonderful name. Like what a posh person would call their farts -  but it's not enough to take away from how Eisenberg is practically the living equivalent of some cunt munching an apple.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 I’ve never had “the pleasure” of going to the Movie Starr, though have stood outside it. Further away, but my local used to be Vue or Premier Cinemas which I’m sure I discussed previously, but he took an abandoned Odeon and just cleaned it all up adding cheap food and drink and £4 tickets. As it was an 80’s odeon it has kept that feel as well, though the seats are newer as are the projectors, screens and sound. But so weird to not have “stadium seats”

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

@Devon Malcolm It's grim for the sake of being grim. Like every other 'creepy' movie nowadays. A very hopeless movie in all aspects is the best way I can describe it, D-Mal. She loved it though...and Imogen Poots has a lovely demeanour to her whenever she's on screen in anything - and a truly wonderful name. Like what a posh person would call their farts -  but it's not enough to take away from how Eisenberg is practically the living equivalent of some cunt munching an apple.

I'm not a fan of Eisenberg at all. Even the odd film I've enjoyed with him in, I always feel like I'm tolerating him rather than enjoying him. I wonder how much better the Zombieland films would be with somebody other than him in the lead.

He's good at playing a weird, unlikeable cunt - so he's great in The Social Network.

He was in Now You See Me, which is one of the very worst films I've ever watched the first half an hour of.

watched Lady Bloodfight this afternoon on Amazon Prime, stars Amy Johnston who is more known in film as a stuntwoman on major films like captain America and also a multiple time world kickboxing champ. Anyhow if you loved old school Van Damme films especially Kickboxer and Bloodsport this will be right up you're street. Basically the plot follows the same path to Bloodsport, as Johnstone goes to Hong Kong to compete in the Kumite for females, and seeks training by a female martial arts master. Its basically a mash up of Bloodsport and Kickboxer, I loved it, like a say if you loved the old school JCVD you're in for a treat.

Edited by DarloKid

• Paid Members

Flashback

I was excited because this was a 1990s buddy cop film I hadn't seen. But it's not very good and a really boring version of Midnight Run (which everyone should watch, by way of a reminder) and the only good bit was when Carol Kane was in it.

Good Vibrations

Nice little biopic with the predictably great soundtrack and a brilliant Richard Dormer performance. John Peel would have been fuming at the guy who played him though. Fucking hell.

Lolly-Madonna XXX

One for the 1970s crime / thriller heads on here (I think that's just me and @Scott Malbranque tbh). A cracking deep south thriller about two warring families, the cast is fucking amazing and it's brilliantly downbeat right to the grim ending. An unseen treasure.

Watched Vivarium over the weekend, which I thought was a pretty good sci-fi film, even if it does feel like an extended episode of something like The Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, with a premise that has been done before (a couple trapped in a labyrinth of identical houses with each escape attempt returning them "home", but this time slightly tweaked with the addition of a strange child that the couple are given to raise to allow their release, but that they don't want and cannot seem to relate to). I liked it more than the directors previous film Without Name
(the story of a land surveyor who goes mad in a mysterious forest), which while it had some nice visuals was a really slow, subtle Irish-horror film that never really seemed to get going and had little pay-off in the end.

Also watched The Hunt, which is a perfectly watchable if very average horror-thriller-comedy-satire. It has some good violence and action, but is pretty underwhelming, tonally all over the place and is heavy handed with its politics and some of the dialogue. Again I preferred it to the directors previous film though (Z for Zachariah), which while a fine apocalypse-drama that is well acted by its small recognisable cast (Margot Robbie, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Chris Pine), is really slow-paced with a poor, flat conclusion.

• Paid Members

Yeah we read it at school too but I wouldn't watch that adaptation as Craig Zobel's two other films have been utterly awful.

BBC's Play for Today did an adaptation back in 1984 that's supposed to be far superior.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched The Sting last night for the first time based entirely on posts in this thread about it and I think I have a new favourite film. Thanks lads.

My facebook memories a few weeks ago was me watching The Sting ten years ago and it was also based on recommendations from here. It's brilliant. Need to watch it again.