Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Breakdown

My Dad used to take me to the cinema when he used to visit me as he really couldn’t be arsed with anything else. 

12 year old SuperBacon had read about this in Total Film (lol) and suggested this. “Sounds shit” Papa Bacon said, and we watched this with one other person at Richmond Filmhouse...Well he was wrong.

Might be Kurt Russell’s best film, and JT Walsh is mesmerising. An absolute cracker still. 

16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Might be Kurt Russell’s best film, and JT Walsh is mesmerising. An absolute cracker still. 

And the always brilliant MC Gainey makes this a yes from me, Clive. 

Breakdown is one of my absolute favourite films. I remember watching it back-to-back with Judgment Night when I shared digs with three media students. The latter of the films was a few years older but one of the lads said they were both underrated, non-commercial videos (!) their tutor recommended they rent.

We ended up watching them back-to-back two nights on the run, leaving our virginities in tact for another weekend. Over 20 years later I could watch either at any time and still love them both, for how the non-stop suspense makes them fly by with me wanting more. Breakdown just pips it as the best of the two.

Like you said (and as Devon pointed out on Twitter), JT Walsh is off the scale in it. Proper horrible, terrifying bastard. I’ll probably stick it on after the footy for another viewing.

Related, Netflix has put some crackers up in its latest release alongside Breakdown: Thunder Road, Destination Wedding, True Romance and Mrs Lowry & Son. I’ve not seen the last of those, but it’s Tim Spall so, you know.

Breakdown is the sort of film we just don't make any more, or certainly not for cinema. Just a short, smart little thriller with a good cast perfectly executed. And JT Walsh was always the best in every film he was in, I miss him a lot.

I watched The Gentleman, Guy Ritchie’s return to London Gangster tales. Hugh Grant’s 2nd best performance (He’ll never top Paddington 2) but I enjoyed it. Different to his previous films in this world, but liked the different style, everyone had a decent turn, even Charlie Hunnam. Only things I didn’t like were a couple of the racist jokes, felt misjudged, and a tribute to an iconic British Gangster film. Felt weird to see Miramax at the start. I know Weinstein is gone from there now, but was still odd to see it pop up. 

Breakdown is on Netflix and looks just like my sort of movie, so thanks for the recommendation.

I finally caught Dunkirk over Christmas.  I'd been apprehensive about watching it because Nolan films annoy the fuck out of me, but I thought he can't really mess up a war movie, can he?

Yes, yes he can.  Let's throw out 100 years of understanding of how montage and continuity editing work, and just chop the shit out of the narrative structure of the movie, rendering it confusing and also making sure the viewer never gets to engage properly with the characters, thus reducing the sense of investment in their fates and also any sense of building towards a climax.  Try to counter these structural issues by draping continuous music across the length of the film to hammer home at every moment what the viewer should be feeling.

It's annoying because he's got a good eye and can deliver some lovely set pieces.  But you could take this film, re-edit it into a more conventional, less look-how-clever-I-am sequence, drop about half the score, and have something really special.

To be honest @Loki, post Batman Begins your last paragraph sums up most of his output.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I thought Dunkirk was far and away his best film. I didn't find it at all confusing and I thought the characters were juggled superbly in a thankfully short running time. It's a shame that his new one seemed to be headed back to his usual ludicrous shite.

Completely agree. I went to see it at an IMAX and came out feeling absolutely battered by the experience. No bollocks just the horror of war.

No Michael Caine turning up to explain what just happened too. 

The Ringer did a cool little 3 part pod with him where he discusses 5 films from his playlist at his cinema a while back too.

With regards to Nolan I'm quite interested in Tenet especially with the rumoured link to another film it's meant to have. I don't especially love Nolan films but they always look fantastic and sound great. I liked the "Clever films for stupid people" comment someone made on here and it's pretty apt. I loved The Prestige for the most part and Batman's apart I'll always have time for one of his films even if I don't love them.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

With regards to Nolan I'm quite interested in Tenet especially with the rumoured link to another film it's meant to have. 

I didn't know he was doing a Shyamalan with this as well, that makes me even less interested in it.

I think the rumour comes from the look and style of it more than anything of substance. The fruit of Denzel's loins is headlining it too.

How many times did we see that bomber approaching that ship?  The whole film reminded me of this

giphy.gif