DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yes, it was very good. Melanie Laurent directed it, better known for her acting, but she also directed Breathe, a French psychological thriller which is one long anxiety attack, but in a very good way. Brilliant film.

Must keep an eye out for that one, cheers Dev.

• Paid Members

Watched The Hunt today.  Another variation of The Most Dangerous Game, but I do like this particular genre.

Won’t say much, as there is a couple of twists (one Massive one), but it trots along at a nice pace, and the acting from the main character is excellent.

Watched The Hunt yesterday. Lost interest about half way through in all honesty but stayed with it as it was only 90minutes. Had a better time with The Invisible Man, not so much with the newest version of The Grudge and still got The Lighthouse to watch to complete what we’ve dubbed The ‘The’ Saga for the week.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

still got The Lighthouse to watch to complete what we’ve dubbed The ‘The’ Saga for the week.

If you like it (and more people walked out of this than any audience I've seen before, so it doesn't work for everyone), it's going to be immersive as fuck, considering the basic element of it is about two people having to survive isolation.

Watched The Hunt and The Invisible Man over the last couple of days. Thought The Hunt was good fun, some good WTF moments, trots along at a nice enough pace, doesn't outstay it's welcome and is an enjoyable enough watch.

I'd seen some negative stuff about The Invisible Man but again, thought it was an enjoyable enough couple of hours. Invisibility genuinely freaks the shit out of me which probably added to my experience of it. I speak as someone who was having palpitations in the cinema during Monsters Inc when Randall goes invisible and stalks Sully and Boo for fucks sake. Some good scares and I liked the new take on how the invisibility is done.

Maybe Man United fans who are missing blaming everything in life on Paul Pogba should watch The Invisible Man. /Ralphy

I'm really looking forward to it. On the back of The Handmaid's Tale alone I'd back Elizabeth Moss as one of the best actors around and that's without mentioning her work in Mad Men.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Moss's performance in Us (as well as Tim Heidecker's) is already rather forgotten because she was in a support role. But she is always great, the best thing in The Kitchen by some way too.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Moss's performance in Us (as well as Tim Heidecker's) is already rather forgotten because she was in a support role.

I'd genuinely forgotten about her being in Us and I've watched that film four or five times now. She's great in it albeit in a small part.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Bundy: A Legacy of Evil (2008)

I paid 10p for this from a charity shop (sealed) and if I still had the receipt would go and get my money back.  An appalling excuse for a movie, with the blurb on the cover of the DVD sleeve claiming "one of the best serial killer films to date".  That hideous lie came courtesy of something called GoreZone magazine and I'm now doubtful such a magazine even exists. Thirty minutes was all I managed of this before switching it off.  The film looks like something you would find on Five USA at one in the morning and contains some of the worst acting I've seen in a long time.  Corin Nemec plays Ted Bundy whose attempts at menacing and terrifying are laughable.  What is equally laughable is when we get the high school scenes of Bundy meeting Stephanie.  We don't get a younger actor playing the high school Bundy, no 37 year old Nemec, and this isn't a young 37 year old looking man.  Jen Nikolaisen, who plays Stephanie, is very easy on the eye but that's the only remotely positive thing I can take this.  Don't waste your time.  Shite.

On the subject of if GoreZone magazine ever existed, I learnt something new at this year's Frightfest from someone that runs a pop culture site.  He noticed a quote and 5 star score on a movie poster and told me that the website was run by the same people that were releasing the film.  So they basically just write great reviews for the films they release so they have cover quotes.

To make this post a bit more interesting I watched Bad Times at El Royale the other day and thought it was pretty great.  Surprisingly violent.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Twatters said:

On the subject of if GoreZone magazine ever existed, I learnt something new at this year's Frightfest from someone that runs a pop culture site.  He noticed a quote and 5 star score on a movie poster and told me that the website was run by the same people that were releasing the film.  So they basically just write great reviews for the films they release so they have cover quotes.

To make this post a bit more interesting I watched Bad Times at El Royale the other day and thought it was pretty great.  Surprisingly violent.

I can confirm Gorezone did exist. I went to there second annual film festival years back at the Prince Charles and met Emily Booth who was hosting. She was amazing as you'd expect.