DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

And Austin Powers. He does love that "Ooorrrrrenge sherrrrrberrrrt". 

Bizarrely that's not in the American version of the film, along with a couple of other really good bits for some reason. UK version is the way to go for Austin Powers 1. 

Sorry We Missed You. 

Ken Loach likes to have non actors in his films to give it realism and all that but it really shows in this and is to the films detriment. It’s still worth your time and all that but the delivery (oh ho!) of a lot of the dialogue is jarring and takes you out of it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Bizarrely that's not in the American version of the film, along with a couple of other really good bits for some reason. UK version is the way to go for Austin Powers 1. 

If I remember it’s that and the henchmans home lives scenes which were cut. Very odd, especially as the orange sherbet joke doesn’t work in the UK. We have Sorbet not Sherbert 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If I remember it’s that and the henchmans home lives scenes which were cut. Very odd, especially as the orange sherbet joke doesn’t work in the UK. We have Sorbet not Sherbert 

We have sherbert here. Sorbet is totally different...

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

My mind is blown! I’ve never seen it here, except fountains and dip dab type sweets

It's basically like flavoured sugar. My kids got a bag from a fair once and I don't think they slept for about a week!

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

That's here, in American sherbet is a pudding like sorbet.  Like Aussies calling flip-flops "thongs."  Edit:  Actually I suppose it's not as it's a different spelling to sherbert.

Wait!  There's no r in the proper UK spelling?!?!

I always assumed the orange sherbrt they were on about in Austin Powers was the sugary stuff? I suppose that's why it never stood out to me as strange.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

I always assumed the orange sherbrt they were on about in Austin Powers was the sugary stuff? I suppose that's why it never stood out to me as strange.

Does make more sense in that scene now I know this - a big tub of sugary powder always seemed a bit odd.

• Paid Members

Enough of sherbe(r)t for the insane.

The Platform

New Netflix Original, and another film inspired by Snowpiercer. No, it's not as good but it's pretty good until the last 15 minutes, which made almost no sense. Definitely one to watch with the kids.

Dirty Harry

Relieved I watched this again, I'd forgotten at least two lines of dialogue.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

That's here, in American sherbet is a pudding like sorbet.  Like Aussies calling flip-flops "thongs."  Edit:  Actually I suppose it's not as it's a different spelling to sherbert.

Wait!  There's no r in the proper UK spelling?!?!

6 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

6 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

We've both learned something as I've written it sherbeRt my entire life.  I'm glad that never came up in my spelling tests.

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Does make more sense in that scene now I know this - a big tub of sugary powder always seemed a bit odd.

Sorry to drag it back to this, but sorbet and sherbet are from the same linguistic root. Was originally a drink in the Middle East ("sharba" means "to drink" in Arabic). IIRC the sweet we call sherbet, the powder, was originally meant to be added to water to make this drink (I once did this with a Dib Dab someone gave me as I hate liquorice, and it fizzed up and made a kind of lemonade).

Apologies to Devon. Please continue.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Joker

Joaquin Phoenix is great and in other news, water is wet. What about the rest of it though?

The rest of it? Todd Philips makes a tribute to Taxi Drive and people think it’s the 2nd coming because it’s classed as a comic book movie. When really it’s just bang average with some really shitty shoehorning of the Batman universe in it. But it’s from the director of The Hangover so it shows he’s got range or something.

yeah, I didn’t rate it other then Zazie Beats  and Joaquin’s performance