DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Have to admit it took me a while to come round to this view, but then I saw Out Of Sight. 

I finally watched that after being impressed with her in Hustlers. Both really good - Hustlers not quite top level stuff, but not far below.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I walked into the sitting room after reading my daughter Oi! Frog, Oi! Cat, Oi! Dog and Oi! Duck Billed Playpus for bedtime and the missus was engrossed in Terminator 2, which I wasn’t expecting, beca

My poor missus had to put up with me kicking off over the whole debacle when I walked in the door last night after it. The poor woman. She was only about to get into bed and had to deal with a 39 year

Speaking of Jack Lemmon, my brother once worked at the Box Office in The Strand theatre.  Jack Lemmon was performing in a play there, he seemed down to earth but kept himself to himself.  Out of respe

Posted Images

• Paid Members

She's also superb in Money Train.

Uncut Gems

Honestly, I hated the Safdies' Good Time so I had no expectation for this at all but it's absolutely superb. Some really unexpected use of real life characters and the pacing of it is frantic and anxiety inducing the whole way through. Keeps you guessing, the ending is brilliant, and Sandler does a fantastic cross between Al Pacino and Dustin Hoffman. One of the best of the year.

I'm really looking forward to it. I listened to the Safdie's on the Rewatchables Happy Gilmore podcast last week in preparation. Sandler is fantastic when he wants to be, he's definitely had the career he wanted but it's a shame he hasn't thrown out a few more Punch Drunk Love's.

• Paid Members

Yeah, and unlike his other 'serious' roles, there's not really much comedy in this for him to lean back on. There's the odd laugh here and there but it really does rely on him being dramatically on song.

Izzy Gets The Fuck Across Town

A quirky little comedy that really breezes past and features Mackenzie Davis (alerting @Devon Malcolm) and Alia Shawkat (alerting all cousin lovers)

The Holiday

I thought after 10 minutes this would be awful, and whilst it’s categorically not a good film, I didn’t mind it so much, mainly because of Kate Winslet. Jack Black as a leading man in a romance is still really, really funny.

Surviving Christmas

One of the worst films I’ve ever seen. What a waste of a cast. 90 minutes of Affleck doing that weird teeth together grin he did before he realised he can actually act.

• Awards Moderator

This afternoon I watched The Two Popes. I was completely engrossed by the first hour, when the film is basically a two-hander with Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce both at the top of their game. As the film started to delve deeper into flashbacks I did feel it lost some of that appeal and focus (interesting as the story in those flashbacks was), but by the end of the movie they bring it back round again. Well worth a watch - and it made me want to visit Italy again too!

• Paid Members

Cats really was something else and deserves the reputation it already has as a remarkable abomination. I watched it instead of Star Wars because I kept hearing it was "disturbingly sexual".

I spent at least the first 20 minutes just in awe at how wild it was, certainly a 10/10 for being unique and the only thing I actually hated was every second James Corden was in it.

Until you've seen "naked" cat Idris Elba you wouldn't understand man.

• Paid Members

8 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Cats really was something else and deserves the reputation it already has as a remarkable abomination. I watched it instead of Star Wars because I kept hearing it was "disturbingly sexual".

I spent at least the first 20 minutes just in awe at how wild it was, certainly a 10/10 for being unique and the only thing I actually hated was every second James Corden was in it.

Until you've seen "naked" cat Idris Elba you wouldn't understand man.

I wonder which version you saw. Apparently Universal has taken a leave out of Take 2's book and released a patch for the film which has improved some of the visual effects and have asked Cinemas to show this newer version instead. I have never heard of a film being patched whilst still being at the cinema, especially during it's first few days of release. Madness

Starter For Ten (2006)

I've seen this numerous times but it was on BBC2 last night and I always try to watch it if I know it's on.  Basic premise is of first year Bristol University student Brian Jackson (played by James McAvoy) joining the University Challenge team and his eventual appearance on the show.  Of course that's not it, there's love interests, turmoil with his original friends from home who he's leaving behind, family problems and issues on his Uni course.  McAvoy and Benedict Cumberbatch (who plays the captain of the Bristol UC team) are both tremendous, while Rebecca Epstein (played by Rebecca Hall), the punky, political female activist, might be my all-time favourite film crush.  There's a nice cameo from John Henshall in it too.  Real feel good film as far as I'm concerned and always makes me nostalgic for my University days. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I wonder which version you saw.

I'm going tomorrow and I better get the shit version.  Apparently if you can see Judy Dench's human hand in parts it's the pony version.

• neil locked this topic