Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

3 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

It's amazing that Joel Kinnaman is so bland he can still come off as dry in a film with Clive Owen in it.

Yeah, he made Owen look animated in this. Still enjoyed it though.

5 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

I’ve just rewatched Scarface for the first time

since my teens and it’s shit, isn’t it? 

Which Scarface? 

And no, it isn’t. 

6 hours ago, The British Bushwacker said:

I’ve just rewatched Scarface for the first time

since my teens and it’s shit, isn’t it? 

It's not that great, is it. Doesn't even feel like a De Palma film, which always disappointed me. The original is fabulous though.

De Palma's Scarface is a exploitation film that some how managed to be perceived as classic drama. As long as you're into that kind of thing it's pretty bloody brilliant but it's definitely an acquired taste.

The sound track is banging and it inspired one of the greatest video games ever made but yeah, despite being every rappers favourite film it's a bit shit.

Yeah, the soundtrack and the game are definitely the best things about it. Man, I would love for that game to get a remaster. For a GTA clone I actually enjoyed it more than the GTA game that was out in the same time period.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Aside from the use of its cast and its excellent use of the 'one shot' gimmick, it's really not deserving of the gushing praise it's getting. I enjoyed it and I do love war films but it's already been ridiculously talked up.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, the soundtrack and the game are definitely the best things about it. Man, I would love for that game to get a remaster. For a GTA clone I actually enjoyed it more than the GTA game that was out in the same time period.

Flashback FM from GTA 3 was literally all songs from Scarface. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5isDvrsBAPI

Yeah, the scarface game had a better soundtrack though. Including an unreleased Giorgio track written for the film and not used. Also music kept playing when you were out of your vehicle which was nice.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Aside from the use of its cast and its excellent use of the 'one shot' gimmick, it's really not deserving of the gushing praise it's getting. I enjoyed it and I do love war films but it's already been ridiculously talked up.

More enjoyable then Dunkirk?

Agreed. It reminds me of The Revenant where people were going on about the craft of a film but the film itself is pretty...meh.

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Agreed. It reminds me of The Revenant where people were going on about the craft of a film but the film itself is pretty...meh.

It was much better in its first half when it was about

ghost trenches

But there was too much coincidence and nonsense in its second half.

As a sidenote, I wish you'd quote people directly!

The Scarface game was great. It had loads of little conveniences that GTA hadn't yet implemented, like having vehicles/weapons delivered to you anywhere, calling for reinforcements and being able to play music wherever. Loved customizing the mansion with exotics (was gutted you couldn't get an actual tiger, though). I think I maybe gave up before the end (I vaguely remember getting frustrated at it seemingly just turning into defending territories and doing drug deals), but had got so much fun out of it by that point that I can't complain!

Would definitely play a remaster, and it could probably do with one, given nobody I know IRL played it. Coming out that late on the PS2 with no next-gen versions was a burial.