Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
It's their job to make us believe it's a big deal Pitcos. If I believe they think it matters I might believe it too.

Not necessarily. I don't laugh when they do unless something funny happens. I'm not going to just believe something's a big deal because they say it is, especially when it's obviously not. The content of the shows outside of the odd match like Punk vs Cena the other week doesn't lend itself to overexcited commentary. We would definitely eye-roll if they started talking like Miz vs Cesaro was Undertaker vs Triple H.

Of course, that's not really what I meant. More, if the guys talking about what's happening in front of them and supposed to be selling to me what's happening on front of them are clearly disinterested or even actively telling me it's shit then there's very little chance i'm going to be interested. The whole combination matters with wrestling on TV, good commentary can shine a turd and bad commentary can smear gold with turd. Lawler can still be decent when he's interested but there's no way his clear lack of interest for the majority of the time can be seen as anything but detrimental. I don't blame him in the slightest mind. And Cole shitting on stuff has its amusing moments, when you agree with him. It's a bit like watching a film with someone and they're just going 'this is shit, she can't act, that would have killed him surely'. Great if you're up for tearing it to shreds too but if you're trying to enjoy the film and make the most of it's really fucking annoying. There is definitely instances of the them making out things are amazing that aren't that bring the eye-rolls too though. I don't expect every match to be called like Triple H vs Undertaker.

The mid card is just there to be a moving image while the voices discuss important things.

The mid card should have substance too though. While still discussing the bigger matters going on in their world as well. The jobber shows often talked about everything that happened in the big angles on Raw 90% of the time and 10% about what was going on in front of them and it didn't always come across like they just didn't care about the 10%.

everyone made the most of what camera time they had in a way that not many do now. Ryback and Henry are both really good at this.

Definitely. I love that about them both. I'm amazed more guys don't add little quirks like they do. I'm not saying the commentators are all to blame for anything seeming dull, the talent should be doing whatever they can, making the most of every opportunity they have and time they are given. Daniel Bryan is another who's pretty good with it i'd say and Punk has been in the past actually. There was something when JBL returned to commentary where he got some heat off Primos old man or something for something he said on commentary when he was just trying to get them over, saying he went to them to get some stuff on them and that he can't believe how few people go to him to get their shit over. You'd think all the guys would be wanting to give the commentators any little thing to talk about them while they're on, get their characters over or bring particular attention to a certain spot, etc.

Agree with Arch on the 3 hour thing. I think it could be used more wisely. I never used to mind Nitro being 3 hours but maybe that was because I was young and flicked between that and Raw. But I think it was because the roster was fucking massive and so deep and diverse too. There was a discussion on here about the X division title which me and you Pitcos got into talking about WWEs mid-card titles and I said it could be worthwhile trying to do something with one of the Mid card titles to differentiate it from the rest of what's going on, on the rest of the card. I don't know what exactly though. But the mid-card titles are worthless. Cesaro and Barrett are involved far too much with guys above them and laying down for them and it does nothing for them or the title and often little for the guy they've faced. Literally just killing time. They could probably get away with more squash matches with the 3 hours, with enough going on, on the rest of the show without resorting to relentless, worthless rematches and exhausting the possible matches they could have on TV. The problem there being it would take completely reconditioning fans to what they expect, as squash matches would basically only be accepted with a debuting star or a monster receiving a push. I feel like Barrett or Cesaro would benefit from something like the Angle 5 minute challenge or The Chris Masters Masterlock challenge they used to do, some angle of some sort like that. Those were great fun for ages and went a long way to enhance those guys. Barrett, Cesaro, Kofi, Miz, Ziggler all just wrestle each other all the time for no reason and it means nothing. If they insist on that method I think the US or IC title could benefit from BFG Series style treatment and being treated like an actual division, making the wins and losses and submissions matter. They love doing the in-ring talk show segments too but i'd love them to do in-depth pre-recorded segments getting to know superstars and getting over their stuff, akin to TNAs Reaction stuff. Often, some of the stuff WWE put on their DVDs or internet shows shows a lot of their mid card talent in a more interesting light than what they get on the main TV shows.

Well, 3 hour Raws aren't helping anything on that front. Virtually everyone feels overexposed now, they should really be using the depth of their roster to rotate who is on TV more.

I haven't watched Raw in years but would always check the results on a Tuesday just to keep up with what was happening, but it's gotten to the point where even the reviews are too long to bother with. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to sit through all of that every single week.

I seen someone calling Royal Rumble 1999 a cracking PPV. I was pretty against the thought, but decided to watch it again anyways.

It's not bad I suppose. The Rumble match itself isn't great for me. Feels like there's a lot going on in it, but nothing actually means anything. The best fun was Kane chasing away the white coats, Viscera getting smacked about and of course the Austin/McMahon story which is the highlight of the match by far. Love the reaction to the finish. A massive collective "WHA?!?!".

The other matches aren't all bad either. Luna/Sable is pretty heated stuff. It's short as well, so it's just the two of them beating the shit out of each other. Bossman/Road Dogg is a decent opener. X-Pac/Gangrel is a bit meh, and Shamrock/Gunn is a bit shit, which surprised me as I like the two of them. I seem to remember a lot of Shamrock's title defences at the time being a bit shit though. Rock/Mankind is brilliant though. Rock is comical for much of the match, but in that last few minutes he morphs into a super villain.

So in short, the PPV isn't QUITE as bad as I remember it being.

• Paid Members
Even the normally excellent pre-show TV special was shite for this one, headlined by Hacksaw v Earthquake in one of the most brutal matches you'll ever set eyes on.

Neither of those are noted for having great matches to be fair.

Look at the crowd reaction for the finish though. Perfect set-up for the PPV.

Edited by martyngnr

Video shop multiple re-rental for me as a kid. But of the million FUCKING ACE things on the show, what's best out of this lot, because I change my mind every day.

- The Powerplex

- Mental Sherri

- Goldigger Saffire

- Perfect and Heenan going spastic

- Hebner's shirt getting torn

- Earthquake getting his back murdered

- Piper hates Warrior on commentary

Fabulous PPV.

You've missed the best bit!

Piper : 'The Legion of Doom have come to figure it out'

August 29th 1990 was the day I fell in love with the WWF. A day that would eventually lead to me being a 'god awful poster' on this forum. Unlucky.

That Hart Foundation vs Demolition match was awesome. 2 out of 3 falls. Only two members of Demolition allowed at ringside. Demo, quite convincingly, go one up. Then get DQ'd in the second. I thought the match would be thrown out because, as we all know, titles can't change hands on a DQ. But, no, apparently it doesn't count in a best of 3!

So, in the 3rd, Ax comes and hides under the ring! Bret already thought that it would be the two most experienced members of Demolition anyway. The pull off the switcheroo a couple of times. But the LOD are having non of it. Schoolboy trip over the ropes, and The Harts are holding the straps. Lovely.

In the post match interview, Hawk is stroking Neidhart's goatee! I honestly thought they were bezzies!

Props to the points mentioned above though. And that Sherri quote. She was immense from Mania 6 through 7. And probably longer tbh.

Honorary mention to Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Nikolai Volkoff being the worst tag team ever. Until Hacksaw pulled the same shtick with the Sarge!

Edited by summerslam1990

• Paid Members
August 29th 1990 was the day I fell in love with the WWF. A day that would eventually lead to me being a 'god awful poster' on this forum. Unlucky.

Haha, well if it helps, that post was great. More of that, less fighting and you'll be fine. The tag team title match was indeed fantastic- a classic example of tag team wrestling from that era. It's my favourite match on the card by some distance.

Rather than start I new thread, I will put this here. Sky are running 1 hour Road to Wrestlemania shows all week, hosted by Renee Young and some new bloke I've not seen before, started tonight with a look at the Streak featuring the matches against Snuka, Diesel, Orton, Michaels (WM25) and last year against Triple H plus VT of the Punk feud. The next four shows look as follows

Tuesday - Triple H

Wednesday - Hall of Fame

Thursday - John Cena

Friday - The Rock

The shows air at 6pm and 10pm, Tomorrow and Wednesday on Sports 3 with the other two on Sports 4

• Paid Members

Might just be a few weeks out of date. I've just been through the WM6 card and unless someone's died without me knowing, I can only make 12 including Liz. Or possibly, to muddy the waters of who's counted & who isn't, leaving out Liz but counting Monsoon...