Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I'm with Pity, No Holds Barred is the new Last Man Standing for being the big disappointing gimmick match announcement. I get what you're saying with Brock in this case, but its become so void of resonance that you don't associate the stipulation with any particular character trait anyway.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, totally. Would have been a lot better with a clear distinction between 'No Holds Barred' and 'Street Fight', 'Hardcore', 'No DQ' which all fall under the same banner. Building up the announcement of the stip worked against it, for sure. But considering their past interaction last year and Brock breaking Trips arm twice, being a UFC animal who nearly killed Cena it makes perfect sense and the match will result in a wild, street fight, No DQ style brawl which is what everyone has always wanted from them to begin with.

Oh yeah, totally. Would have been a lot better with a clear distinction between 'No Holds Barred' and 'Street Fight', 'Hardcore', 'No DQ' which all fall under the same banner. Building up the announcement of the stip worked against it, for sure. But considering their past interaction last year and Brock breaking Trips arm twice, being a UFC animal who nearly killed Cena it makes perfect sense and the match will result in a wild, street fight, No DQ style brawl which is what everyone has always wanted from them to begin with.

But the Summerslam match was No Holds Barred as well.

I just watched the Brock/Cena brawl from the week after Brock returned. I never realised before but, after the camera focuses on Cena with his bloodied smirk, when he charges and jumps at Lesnar, Lesnar catches him in one arm and just fucking pancakes him. It's so badass.

God, I love Brock Lesnar.

Plus, I know people don't really like Punk here (and, yes, he is a miserable arse with an inflated sense of his own importance) but I think what he said was absolutely fine. He said that he's not trying to better previous matches because this match is going to exist within its own context which doesn't necessarily suit the pure wrestling style that gets the plaudits in the same way as HBK/Taker matches. They've got a hyper-personal narrative, so surely 'Taker isn't going to want to wrestle Punk. He's going to want to fucking batter him.

And, as for The Rock/Lesnar deals he talks about. He's bang on, isn't he?

No matter how good for business it is, or how much sense it made, if someone came in to do a job I do all year round for 15 days and got paid the same (if not more) as me i'd be aggrieved. I'd probably begrudgingly accept its necessity but, yeah, i'd be at least a little resentful and would probably try to work out how I could do what they do, too.

He didn't say anything that controversial.

I just watched the Brock/Cena brawl from the week after Brock returned. I never realised before but, after the camera focuses on Cena with his bloodied smirk, when he charges and jumps at Lesnar, Lesnar catches him in one arm and just fucking pancakes him. It's so badass.

God, I love Brock Lesnar.

Plus, I know people don't really like Punk here (and, yes, he is a miserable arse with an inflated sense of his own importance) but I think what he said was absolutely fine. He said that he's not trying to better previous matches because this match is going to exist within its own context which doesn't necessarily suit the pure wrestling style that gets the plaudits in the same way as HBK/Taker matches. They've got a hyper-personal narrative, so surely 'Taker isn't going to want to wrestle Punk. He's going to want to fucking batter him.

And, as for The Rock/Lesnar deals he talks about. He's bang on, isn't he?

No matter how good for business it is, or how much sense it made, if someone came in to do a job I do all year round for 15 days and got paid the same (if not more) as me i'd be aggrieved. I'd probably begrudgingly accept its necessity but, yeah, i'd be at least a little resentful and would probably try to work out how I could do what they do, too.

He didn't say anything that controversial.

You're right in what you say, and I don't think that Punk was that controversial in that he was just laying his cards on the table.

But as far as your analogy goes, what if that person coming in and working less hours, was increasing productivity to the point where you got paid more as a result?

Punks on enough money that any increase in pay would have no real effect on living standards. He's at the end of the payscale where the only two steps he has left to go are 'CENA' and, then, 'ROCK' and the second coming of Christ and his eventual heel turn wouldn't even bump Punk's pay that much.

No it wasn't. It was just a standard match, albeit one in which Triple H had asked the referee earlier on in the night not to stop for anything other than pinfall or submission.

Punks on enough money that any increase in pay would have no real effect on living standards. He's at the end of the payscale where the only two steps he has left to go are 'CENA' and, then, 'ROCK' and the second coming of Christ and his eventual heel turn wouldn't even bump Punk's pay that much.

You can never earn too much money.

In response to summerslam1990: Punk might earn more headlining WrestleMania against Cena than he would in the third top match of this card, even given the difference in buy rates.

No it wasn't. It was just a standard match, albeit one in which Triple H had asked the referee earlier on in the night not to stop for anything other than pinfall or submission.

That sounds very similar to a no holds barred match.

Edited by King Pitcos