Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I could perhaps understand Punk's current greivances if he had dropped the Championship and gone on to face The Miz at Wrestlemania but he is one of the main events, arguably the most fresh and interesting advertised bout of the night featuring an absolute legend of the business.

In terms of Punk's pissyness over the part-timers, I reckon he could get himself a deal similar to the 'No house show' type deal that Jeff Hardy was supposedly offered before he left WWE. He might not be a household name that David Letterman is dying to interview but he is an important part of WWE's TV and if he had one foot out of the door I'm sure he would get a good deal for less work.

• Paid Members

Is he supposed to be selling the PPV or what? That's what annoys me about him whenever he does any media work. He's on the radio broadcasting to an audience of potential buyers telling them that his match might not be as good as the Shawn Michaels ones, but that he will try to "make this the best that the situation allows me to make it", as if he's been handicapped by being put out there with a Mason Ryan or someone. He makes it sound like he's being hard done by. He comes across like a butt-hurt net fan rather than one of the company's top men.

Punk knows how the business works so his moaning just doesn't make any sense to me. It only gains him negative attention. Maybe he feels he has to keep up that image of being the rebel against the system, but now that the company have already pushed him way beyond he actually deserves, he just looks like an idiot for complaining. I'd suggest he's playing up to his character by doing so, but I don't think that's the case.

Take Lesnar, Rock, Triple H and Undertaker off this Mania card and nobody is buying it (I know I wouldn't), so the pay-offs for everyone else on the card would be fuck all.

I don't really have a problem with what he's said there. I think people seem to be applying a context to his comments that isn't there as they have just got into their heads that CM Punk is a dick (and I'm not saying he can't be).

In regards to the "make the most of the situation" reference. He's not saying that being out there with the Undertaker is bad, he's just acknowledging by saying that "this isn't a work rate match" that the match is more about the angle and not necessarily the quality of the match. That's how it differs to the Shawn Michaels situation.

Plus, with the 365 vs 15 days a year argument he makes it pretty clear there that although he resents it now, he would love to be in the same situation down the road. Seems a pretty honest assessment of the situation really.

In regards to the "make the most of the situation" reference. He's not saying that being out there with the Undertaker is bad, he's just acknowledging by saying that "this isn't a work rate match" that the match is more about the angle and not necessarily the quality of the match. That's how it differs to the Shawn Michaels situation.

To be fair he says that pretty much after saying "I know everyone expects me to have a better match (because I'm better than HBK) but it's not going to be that type of match."

• Paid Members
It makes me laugh with that Punk interview as well that he basically criticizes the likes of Rock and Brock for working 15 dates a year but then says if he had the option he would do exactly the same. Such a dick.

He's not criticising them for it though, he's just complaining that he probably makes the same money despite working all year. He recognises that he needs to get to that level so that he can do the same. It's fine for him to think that, but I've no idea why he feels the need to say it on the radio.

Punk knows how the business works

I sometimes wonder if he does. He was so indyriffic when he turned up in WWE that Trips and Michaels were laughing at him. Then he knuckles under and learns the WWE main event style, and gets pushed to the top. And THEN on his DVD he bangs on and on about how his matches with Chris Hero were the greatest matches in the USA at that time.

Right, because CM Punk v Hero in front of a few hundred people in ROH was better than The Rock v Austin 3 at Wrestlemania 19. It's like he's learnt nothing.

To me, the problem with Punk is that he rages against the machine, but really aspires to just become the main cog anyway. He's smart enough to know he can't change how it works, but he tries to walk this tightrope of being the outspoken rebel despite knowing his real goal is to BE a Rock or Austin, not change the role of the big star.

As innocuous as some of this interview might look, I wonder if he might catch some legitamate shite for this. He's basically undermined the level of his spot on the card which is fucking absurd, all while he's supposed to be selling this PPV, not just forwarding his own agenda. Thing is, if he got (rightfully) punished for such a thing, he'd bark the usual shite about being held down for being different.

• Paid Members

I guess this is the right place unless there's a general WM 29 thread I've missed. WWE.com infographic comparing WM1 vs WM29:

20130320_WM_infoGraphic_x642.jpg

Intriguing to see an estimate of 90,000 fans. The legit record attendance is 82,287 so they'll claim more than that. Actual attendance would presumably likely be a little lower as the stage set-up usually blocks off enough seats to wipe out the extra seats on the pitch. Based on previous years, the fake attendance figure they claim would be right around 90,000 so it'll be interesting to see if they decide to "beat" WM3.

I hate No Holds Barred as a gimmick match. I'm sure I've cried about it on here before, but it's pointless and irrelevant. There are very few holds barred nowadays and the stip doesn't lead to people busting out choke holds, it leads to them hitting each other with chairs and the like.