Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Just realised it's 19 years to the day since I attended my second live WWE show. It took place exactly week after WM 10, and had Bret/Owen headlining to a half empty arena in Glasgow.

If someone told me that precisely 19 years on I'd be back to the same arena to an opera singer's gig I wouldn't have believed them.

• Paid Members

Yesterday was 12 years since Vince McMahon opened up an episode of Raw with the announcement he'd bought WCW.

I wasn't an internet fan then, a kid at school told me about the buyout but he was a known bullshitter. I think I had it confirmed on teletext later though,

Still remember how surreal it was watching the Raw/Nitro shows with the interaction back and forth and wondering what the fuck would happen next. I didn't know about all the Time Warner contracts shite and I let my expectations go mad. I think I was fully expecting Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Nash, Steiner etc to rock up at WresteMania X-7 or something, To say I was underwhelmed when all we got was Hugh Morrus and Shawn Stasiak sitting in the Skybox is an understatement.

It really was mental though, wasn't it? Especially seeing Shane on Nitro. It would be like if Ken Barlow showed up in the Queen Vic and turned out to be the one who was shagging Kat a few months back.

I remember actually crying like a fucking baby at the last Nitro :(

I'd followed the company my entire childhood so knowing this was the last time I'd ever see it (I knew whatever came after wouldn't be WCW, no matter what they did) was heartbreaking. It was that exact moment my love of wrestling started to die. I remember growing up thinking I would never stop watching and couldn't even contemplate what could ever cause me to, and yet 5 years later I had pretty much stopped watching wrestling altogether. Thesedays I record TNA and usually skip through it in half an hour and don't watch any WWE outside of Wrestlemania or the odd clip on Youtube. WCW dying was the worst thing to ever happen to wrestling.

For me, Ric Flair is one of the most overrated wrestlers when it comes to match time. I just found him incredibly dull and phony most of the time. There are some great matches in there no doubt, but I could care less for the majority of his matches. His promo's however are another matter. He was the best ever for me, he made you want to watch his matches and care about the outcome, which made me forget about the fact that most of his matches are so similar, almost identical in some scenarios. I think that makes him one of the best ever, his ability to make people care. Hogan was the same.

Sorry. I felt it had to be brought up.

Yesterday was 12 years since Vince McMahon opened up an episode of Raw with the announcement he'd bought WCW.

I wasn't an internet fan then, a kid at school told me about the buyout but he was a known bullshitter. I think I had it confirmed on teletext later though,

Still remember how surreal it was watching the Raw/Nitro shows with the interaction back and forth and wondering what the fuck would happen next. I didn't know about all the Time Warner contracts shite and I let my expectations go mad. I think I was fully expecting Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Flair, Nash, Steiner etc to rock up at WresteMania X-7 or something, To say I was underwhelmed when all we got was Hugh Morrus and Shawn Stasiak sitting in the Skybox is an understatement.

It really was mental though, wasn't it? Especially seeing Shane on Nitro. It would be like if Ken Barlow showed up in the Queen Vic and turned out to be the one who was shagging Kat a few months back.

That's actually scary. Twelve years fly by. I remember pestering my mother,asking her if I could phone the Power slam hotline to see which wrestler's contracts had been picked up by WCW a few weeks later. She allowed me, and I had to sit through Fin Mart's fucking purposely slow voice going through the names that had been picked up. "Ssssssssugar Shhhhhhane Heeeeelms' has alssssssssssso been picked uppppppppp by Vince McMahonnnnn."

• Paid Members

I was only just watching Wrestlemania X7 the other day and remembering the word going round school about Vince buying WCW. We had an IT lesson that morning and half the class was basically counting down the seconds til we got free time at the end so we could rush onto wwf.com and see what had gone down. And then we had to wait til Friday for Raw. Kids today, don't know they're born.

CM Punk on his match with Taker

WWE star C.M. Punk is reseting expectations for his match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania after Taker wrestled Match of the Year contenders the past four years with Shawn Michaels and Triple H.

"Everyone is expecting me to try to top the Shawn Michaels matches," Punk told Mark Madden on Pittsburgh radio station 105.9 the X promoting WrestleMania. "But that's not my goal. My goal is to make this the best that the situation allows me to make it. There's a chance it could be better than those matches, but that's not my goal. This isn't one of those 'workrate matches.'"

"I like my pro wrestling when it's pissed off and angry. I don't like it when it's just two dudes going out there and, ya know, just wrestling. I made him mad, I got under his skin, and I got under his skin," Punk said about the angle building to the match. "Hopefully it's going to be emotional and psychological."

Punk noted he's angry about not being in the final match at WrestleMania and he's frustrated by part-time wrestlers coming in for big paydays, which fuels him to keep pushing forward on the year-round schedule. But, he acknowledged it could lead to burn-out.

"I'm the only guy who says this - ya know, Miz will go out there and be like, 'It's great having these guys back!' and blah blah blah because I truly believe he thinks he has to say that," Punk said. "The honest reality of it is you bust your ass for 365 days a year and there's other people who come in and they don't work as hard, but maybe get paid the same amount of money. So, me as a businessman, it just makes me look at it and go, 'Okay, that's the deal I need to get. I need to get the deal where I work 15 dates a year.' You know what I mean? It makes me work harder, but, dammit, it's going to burn me out."

The interview concluded with Punk confirming that he doesn't want to be a "lifer" in the wrestling business. Punk said he gets bored easily and he's always looking for the next mountain to climb.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_New...cle_69549.shtml

Edited by pol_pot_rick

I like the bit where he moans about people coming in who aren't in it for the long run, then says he probably won't be around for long because quite a lot of the time he can't be arsed.

EDIT: Or even the fact that he's upset his match with the Undertaker, who wrestles one match a year, is being overshadowed by part-timers and isn't headlining over the WWE title match.

Edited by Forrest

• Paid Members

Except that's not what he said. He said he's working a 365 schedule and other guys might come in for 15 dates a year and get paid what he gets paid. I don't begrudge those guys for doing that personally, because they worked hard to get themselves into a position where they are big enough stars to come in and do that, but he's entitled to be pissy about it. And, as far as getting out the business, good for him. If he's made (and looked after) his money and he can get out of it with his health (relatively) more power to him.

He's not entitled really though, he just has a sense of entitlement. Bruce Campbell will often get paid more for a day or two on a shitty horror film than the leads will get for a month on it. Because that Bruce Campbell cameo will sell the film. Fifteen Rock days are worth more than 365 CM Punk days, and CM Punk knows it. He knows he works nowhere near 365 days as well. But nothing will ever be good enough for CM Punk. Even if he raised his game and ended up in Cena's position, he'd moan that WWE were holding him down by making him a babyface. There's literally no scenario where he wouldn't feel hard done by somehow.

• Paid Members

He's a moaning cunt. It's as simple as that. As much as I like him for the most part on wrestling shows, there's no denying that he's a miserable twat who is never happy with anything.