Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators

Is it? Hardly anyone wore the IC title in white, and anyway, go back through '88 observers. Even by then titles meant nothing to the house, only the man wearing it, and it became a white belt after that didn't it?

I think he just meant it's a reminder of when it meant something to him.

Isn't the Harlem Shake dependent on a jump cut? How would they do it live?

I'd imagine it would be similar to

or

The problem is, while all these part-timers are making the high-profile matches at mania the midcard appears to be an afterthought. Whereas the high profile matches should still be used but so much more effort and time should have been invested in making sure these guys in the mid card e.g ziggler, barrett etc. seem worth more than they are. There's only so long they can keep the rocks, takers, hhhs etc as mania main eventers, then who will they turn to get a buyrate even half as big as the ones their currently experiencing?

I think there is still a chance for the part timers to give some of the up and comers the rub. (Ooh matron!).

A card consisting of matches like Undertaker vs Sheamus, Brock Lesnar vs Ryback, Rock vs Ziggler (why the hell not?!), Triple H vs Dean Ambrose or whoever is being posed as a threat at the time and you can spread the name value about a bit without keeping the big names exclusive to facing one another. Plus the card would still have the appeal of featuring the big names even if they weren't featured in a typical 'dream match' scenario.

I really hope this does happen as the likes of Big Show and Orton can mix it up with the new guys all they like but they just wont legitimize them in the way the big four can. (Rock, Lesnar, Triple H and Taker deserve their own moniker). Once they start retiring without facing the newer guys; this generation will look like a bunch of chumps that haven't beat anybody....which to an extent is the truth with the majority of the roster as it stands.

Edited by thesimonbegz

Thing is, Undertaker, Rock, Brock, HHH aren't going to work unlimited matches. And the money is in them facing each other rather than Wade Barrett or Ziggler. Beating the part-timers isn't necessarily vital though. Not everybody has those career-launching wins over megastars. Rock never beat anybody before Hogan, and Rock was a megastar finishing up his full-time career by then. Bret Hart and Diesel never beat anyone important - both of them were flops money-wise though. Triple H beat Mick Foley, a guy who first won a world title only about six months before HHH did.

More from Falls Count Anywhere:

- Kane vs Big Show: From Raw at the end of 99. Far better than what you would expect from a Show/Kane match from 99. They bring out some impressive stuff in this one, and keep up a shockingly fast pace throughout. Some pretty silly bumps on the floor, considering it was a TV match in front of an apathetic crowd.

- Vince vs Shane. I remember this match from the time, and everyone thought it was shit back then. Extremely quiet crowd, coupled with run of the mill hardcore stuff. Considering this was mid-Invasion, it should have been a much bigger deal than what it was.

- Flair vs Vince: Haven't watched this match in years, and always thought of it being in the "Far better than it should be" catagory. Unfortunately, it was pretty poor, and far worse than I remember/the reaction is got at the time.

- HBK vs HHH - Still great, but still get annoyed with HBKs superman routine, after 10+ minutes of back torture and JR's (great) commentary telling us how Shawn will never be the same again. There's a guy in the middle of the front row, right on camera, not paying attention to the match for ages, which got on my tits as soon as a I spotted him.

On an unrelated note, Leatherface's IWA Japan entrance surely goes down as one of the greatest entrances of all time. I've just watched one where entire blocks of the Korakuen crowd are running for their lives when the chainsaw comes nears. People running, blocks of chairs scattered, the chainsaw, it had it all.

Thing is, Undertaker, Rock, Brock, HHH aren't going to work unlimited matches. And the money is in them facing each other rather than Wade Barrett or Ziggler. Beating the part-timers isn't necessarily vital though. Not everybody has those career-launching wins over megastars. Rock never beat anybody before Hogan, and Rock was a megastar finishing up his full-time career by then. Bret Hart and Diesel never beat anyone important - both of them were flops money-wise though. Triple H beat Mick Foley, a guy who first won a world title only about six months before HHH did.

Some good points. However, Rock and Triple H broke out in a time when wrestling wasn't as nostalgia ridden as it is these days. By 1998/99 Rock and Triple H didn't have the chance to go over Hogan, Savage, Flair, Piper, Diesel, Razor or Bret as they were all in WCW so it wasn't an option anyway....if these guys were all still in WWE by the late 90's; they might have been the ones that commentators got giddy over and the ones who the crowd reserved themselves for. These days WWE themselves long for the old days...not just the fans of the show. Back in the 90's they didn't have the option to celebrate the past so decided to move past it and blow it away.

Edited by thesimonbegz