Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

It's correct that there's nothing wrong with the part-timers coming back for 'Mania and that some focus should be given to the rest of the card too. That's the one thing that baffles me about how 'Mania is handled, yes by all means bring the monster names in for the show and put them in the biggest money matches possible, but have something planned on building your future guys in the process, when you have loads of eyes on your product and urge them to want to stick around for the current guys, not just the guys of the past. It suffers because all the hype and time goes to the part-timers I guess. I personally hate the idea of Rock vs Brock, as much as I love both guys and loved their first encounter, it should remain as that. I quite like that being a one off encounter and it seems somewhat counter-productive to build an issue between two guys who will be gone once their issue is resolved. This year isn't actually so bad to be honest with Undertaker against Punk and Rock against Cena, where I think Cena will be lasting memory taken from the show. But there should be something significant happening with The Shield, Ryback, Hell No, Ziggler, Sheamus to name a few where they get the chance to really shine. To be fair, that may happen - Ziggler may cash-in, and Ryback may look great going over Menry. Rock/Cena and Triple H/Brock have clearly been planned well in advance, which is great. But similar should be done with talent they want to build up and establish, which there must be guys they are high on and think are capable. It's a funny one, because Ryback was over like fuck a few months ago...but has suffered massively by The Rock being about and plans being in place for Royal Rumble and WrestleMania ahead of time. He could have been made and WrestleMania could have been his night, with the extra viewers Rock (and Brock actually) would have been bringing in but he's had to take a backseat because of them already having Punk, Cena and Triple H plans set in stone.

Surely though, over the coming the years they're going to have little choice but to switch that focus. Or maybe Batista, Hogan, Jeff Hardy and Kurt Angle will all be brought back in the next few years.

Some good points. However, Rock and Triple H broke out in a time when wrestling wasn't as nostalgia ridden as it is these days. By 1998/99 Rock and Triple H didn't have the chance to go over Hogan, Savage, Flair, Piper, Diesel, Razor or Bret as they were all in WCW so it wasn't an option anyway....if these guys were all still in WWE by the late 90's; they might have been the ones that commentators got giddy over and the ones who the crowd reserved themselves for. These days WWE themselves long for the old days...not just the fans of the show. Back in the 90's they didn't have the option to celebrate the past so decided to move past it and blow it away.

Yeah, but they'll be in that position again in a couple of years. It doesn't excuse the lack of focus on building new stars now, of course, but soon enough they'll be forced to.

Video shop multiple re-rental for me as a kid. But of the million FUCKING ACE things on the show, what's best out of this lot, because I change my mind every day.

- The Powerplex

- Mental Sherri

- Goldigger Saffire

- Perfect and Heenan going spastic

- Hebner's shirt getting torn

- Earthquake getting his back murdered

- Piper hates Warrior on commentary

Fabulous PPV.

Fabulous PPV.

I haven't seen this show, but reading that made me think of one of the major problems with the current product. It's not the workrate, it's not the characters, because they are there. The issue is that the commentators are too apathetic to really sell the action and the characters. Talkers like Heenan and Piper seemed invested in what's going on, while Cole's too busy shilling Twitter and the latest WWE movie to make it sound like he gives a crap what's on screen.

I think it's ruddy awful, and that's even with the nostalgia glasses on as I adored it at the time. I got a big shcok when I went back to it after buying the vid a decade later.

I think I've actually ranted about it before, but a couple of passable main events, and an excellent (but dubiously booked) tag title match is about all it's got going for it.

Savage/Dusty was nothing, It was hard to care much about the whole Sapphire deal. Tornado/Perfect was a mess. Either do a squash like Summerslam '88, or have a good match - this was neither. Jake/Bad news was dire and an awful anticlimax with not a rat in sight! Warlord/Santana wasn't a patch on Barbarian/Tito at 'Mania, and obviously Rockers/P&G wasn't much of an opener due to the injury, not that they can be blamed for that.

Even the normally excellent pre-show TV special was shite for this one, headlined by Hacksaw v Earthquake in one of the most brutal matches you'll ever set eyes on.

I enjoyed the build, i'll give it that, but on the night, it was pretty much all throwaway guff. Maybe the worst Summerslam before I lost track of them after 2002.

What am i missing with it?

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

SummerSlam 90 has about 50 great promos on it. Kerry Von Erichs little poem about Tornados hanging over heads is class. Dusty Rhodes "when ya gonna get mad big Dust" is excellent. Hogan and the Boss Mans promo on it was cracking, talking about chopping down cherry trees. Heenan and Perfect do a great one where they go from laughing to shouting very abruptly. Earthquake cuts a fucking belting interview. Its strange because back then WWF just let the wrestlers ramble. Sometimes its bad (Dino Bravo is rotten), but mostly its just great stuff where they talk for ages.

Sensational Sherri has the best line from any female ever:

Gene: "Sherri, how can you say that about a missing person?"

Sherri: "I said she was missing, I didn't say anything about her being a person"

Rick Rude is great, too. Heenan and Rude do a whole interview based around the Rocky movies, which was based in Philadelphia. And the Warrior is even pretty good where he cracks a really cheesy joke forces Okerlund to laugh and then growls at him.

Really, whatever you think of the matches, the promos on SummerSlam 90 were so great. Go and find them. Now!

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Fabulous PPV.

I haven't seen this show, but reading that made me think of one of the major problems with the current product. It's not the workrate, it's not the characters, because they are there. The issue is that the commentators are too apathetic to really sell the action and the characters. Talkers like Heenan and Piper seemed invested in what's going on, while Cole's too busy shilling Twitter and the latest WWE movie to make it sound like he gives a crap what's on screen.

This is true, really. The commentators job is put everything we are watching over, far too often they are either indifferent to it or actually burying it. Which is madness. When I watched the Triple H vs Undertaker WMXXVII match to write up, the difference in the commentary is astounding. King was actually pretty awesome, because he actually gave a shit and was invested in what was going on and JR is tremendous. Their commentary aids massively in what makes that match such an epic.

• Paid Members

The show is just packed with strong and colourful characters from top to bottom, and like Ian says, everyone could cut a promo back then, even if it was just rambling intensely and incoherently down the camera. It's weird watching stuff from that era and comparing it to the modern product. The Wellness Policy has a lot to answer for.

The matches at SummerSlam 90 hadn't happened ten times that summer on Challenge and Prime Time. If the current commentators did act like Miz vs Cesaro CCCXII was a huge deal, we'd all moan at what insincere shills they were being trying to convince us that shit mattered.

On the subject of commentary, I don't enjoy JBL as much now as I did in 2007.

• Paid Members

It's their job to make us believe it's a big deal Pitcos. If I believe they think it matters I might believe it too. And I don't think your analogy works, guys faced each other loads in the late 90s and early 2000s on TV and PPV. It seemed like Rock and Triple H faced each other in some form every week for years at one point and it never got dull. And Angle and Benoit. And Edge and Christian and The Hardys and The Dudleys.

It's their job to make us believe it's a big deal Pitcos. If I believe they think it matters I might believe it too.

Not necessarily. I don't laugh when they do unless something funny happens. I'm not going to just believe something's a big deal because they say it is, especially when it's obviously not. The content of the shows outside of the odd match like Punk vs Cena the other week doesn't lend itself to overexcited commentary. We would definitely eye-roll if they started talking like Miz vs Cesaro was Undertaker vs Triple H. It would take acting/salesman skills far beyond the realm of a WWE performer to shine some of the shit.

I've never considered this before, but I wonder now if they do book so many white-noise matches purely so as not to distract everyone from the twitter mentions and main-event plugs. I know I'll find some conversation about The Call far more interesting in comparison to this week's repeat of Gabriel vs Barrett than I would if it was something worthwhile onscreen. The mid card is just there to be a moving image while the voices discuss important things.

And I don't think your analogy works, guys faced each other loads in the late 90s and early 2000s on TV and PPV. It seemed like Rock and Triple H faced each other in some form every week for years at one point and it never got dull. And Angle and Benoit. And Edge and Christian and The Hardys and The Dudleys.

There's truth in that, but those matches were very rarely just thrown out there for no reason. There'd always be new, entertaining interaction that led to them. Apart from Benoit for obvious reasons, all of those guys got massive amounts of storyline development and angles to showcase their personalities. And even Benoit probably got as much as Sandow and Cesaro do now, if not more.

I've never directly compared because of laziness, but I'd be interested to see an average of how much TV time someone like Jericho got on an episode of Raw or Smackdown in 2000 compared to say Kofi now. It never seemed like stuff lasted very long back then, everyone made the most of what camera time they had in a way that not many do now. Ryback and Henry are both really good at this, Santino and Ricardo as well, and Sandow's decent at it but routinely gets about ten minutes more TV time than he needs. I think that kind of overexposure is relatively recent. I only noticed the deluge of wasteful pay-per-view length matches on tv when WWE decided to blitz through (and thus ruin) every combination of a promising smackdown roster in 2009. Even those weekly Rock-HHH main events thirteen or fourteen years ago felt shorter than the TV ones now, but they might not have been. It might have just been that I was young.

Edited by King Pitcos