NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

45 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ember Moons back having achieved absolutely fuck all in the last 2 & a half years. 

You could say the same about practically everyone in that time frame though. 

Just look at some of the names they've 'called up' in the last couple of years -

Andrade w Zelina Vega, Ricochet, Aleister Black, EC3, Angel Garza, AOP, Shayna Baszler, Humberto Carillo, Street Prophets, Matt Riddle, Keith Lee, the five poor sods from Retribution . . .

I mean, fucking hell. How do fuck all that up? Sure none of them are the Rock, but they've all looked like stars in their own right at various points. Now they're either a complete joke, been released, or have been broken down and reduced into utter nothingness. I don't even think it's premature to add Lee to the list either, he's on the same road to nowhere. Seriously, - outside of a couple of times where they got desperate with Baszler, I can't think of a single noteworthy thing any of them have done.

The only people that have made any real impact in terms of push and storylines are Otis and Nikki Cross of all people. That's where HHH is probably going wrong with NXT - too much playing it straight and not enough wacky.

The relationship between Vince and HHH fascinates me these days. I wonder how Trips can look him in the eye with all the talent he's randomly pulled and ruined. Probably no coincidence he's aged about ten years in the last two.

12 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

NXT version of thunderdome looked like the t shirt wall at HMV. 

First show I’ve watched in full in months. Really good show overall. Loved the main event, but I just love Kyle O’Reilly in general. 

Having Beth Phoenix and Wade Barrett on commentary while showing Vic Joseph ringside at the table with a woman who looks like Sasha Banks (couldn’t they find a blonde wig?) and a bloke who was clearly not Wade was just bizarre. Why bother? They could have just moved the commentary desk elsewhere. 

Thank God for that, I thought I’d gone partially blind thinking Phoenix was now the double of Banks 

Edited by Project Nim
Spelling

Last night's show was fun

For all the wasting of certain talent, the fact they've made The Artist Formerly Known as Punishment Martinez someone interesting is a borderline miracle. 

KUSHIDA finally getting to do something makes me so happy. His attack on Dream after the match makes him automatically the Babyface of the Year

Swerve and Escobar having a great match was not surprising. The fact the end was so rubbish was not surprising either. 

As much as I can't stand Candice LaRae, she should have won. The mileage they could have got from Gargano being jealous of his missus would have been great. Enjoyed the double surprise returns. Hope Ember gets some momentum back. 

Balor/O'Reilly was a really good professional wrestling match. Ridge Holland and Adam Cole is going to be..... fascinating 

Biggest "Down" were those who took their masks off during the show. After the past few days in the States , you'd think people would have learnt from others mistakes. 

4 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The relationship between Vince and HHH fascinates me these days. I wonder how Trips can look him in the eye with all the talent he's randomly pulled and ruined. Probably no coincidence he's aged about ten years in the last two.

Worse thing is he can't have a moan to the wife when he gets home. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Having Beth Phoenix and Wade Barrett on commentary while showing Vic Joseph ringside at the table with a woman who looks like Sasha Banks (couldn’t they find a blonde wig?) and a bloke who was clearly not Wade was just bizarre. Why bother? They could have just moved the commentary desk elsewhere. 

Beth's been doing commentary remotely (presumably from home) basically since the pandemic began, and they've not made any effort to disguise that. Ranallo was doing it too until he got the flick, and they had just Tom Phillips sat at the desk. In fact IIRC at one of the Takeovers they did something picture-in-picture showing Beth & Mauro sat at home doing the show.

I don't think any attempt was made to pull the wool over your eyes, is what I'm saying. Other people sat at the desk likely crew/production assistants?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Statto said:

Beth's been doing commentary remotely (presumably from home) basically since the pandemic began, and they've not made any effort to disguise that. Ranallo was doing it too until he got the flick, and they had just Tom Phillips sat at the desk. In fact IIRC at one of the Takeovers they did something picture-in-picture showing Beth & Mauro sat at home doing the show.

I don't think any attempt was made to pull the wool over your eyes, is what I'm saying. Other people sat at the desk likely crew/production assistants?

I have not watched nxt tv and only saw the end of the last takeover so didn’t know any of this. So for me, it was unusual seeing two randoms sat next to Vic Joseph and thought they were trying to fool people. But judging from twitter last night during the show, I wasn’t the only one. So either this is the first time it’s been shown on camera (as hard as they tried to not show them), or no one really pays attention to nxt anymore. 

• Paid Members

I think the table was perhaps a little more conspicuously positioned in the "Capital Wrestling Center" than it has been in Full Sail of late. But perhaps that's why they chose to put seat fillers there?

Really enjoyed the show actually. Sure it didn't have the big time feel of a lot of previous ones but I appreciate the efforts they're putting in with new people. Those opportunities need to be given out and I thought everyone did well on the night.

Main event was the best part for me. A real nice change of pace and something different from a Takeover headliner from the crazy mass kick out fests that we've been accustomed to. This felt grittier and like a real fight and probably the most I've enjoyed a Balor match in ages.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

That main event was so hard hitting that Finn had to have a CAT scan after the match with suspected facial fractures while Kyle had a couple of teeth knocked out

What a pair of idiots.

• Paid Members

I can't believe this show isn't being talked about as much as I expected. NXT TV may not be as captivating as it used to be, but this Takeover delivered in spades, if this was an AEW PPV, people would have been talking about it for weeks. 

Santos Escobar is brilliant, one of my favorite people in wrestling at the moment. He is probably the first Cruiserweight Champion i have actually held some interest in. 

I rolled my eyes at Ember Moon as i wasn't her biggest fan the first time round, then she did nothing on the main roster, but then I thought that now with her and Toni Storm returning, along with Io, Rhea, Candice (unless drafted), Dakota Kai and others, their women's division is absolutely stacked. 

The knee to Balor in the corner just exploded his face, it was uncomfortable to watch. You could see him trying to talk at the end and just couldn't.