NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Nick James said:

also, is that 4 heels in the match? Seeing as Ciampa turned against Atlas? Balor has been towing the line of heel / face.

Cole/UE have been positionedĀ as faces for about a month now Iā€™d say - IIRC they sort of ā€˜turnedā€™ by running in on Imperium, then Cole was the face in the McAfee deal.

Balor has primarilyĀ been positioned against heels for a while now, so Iā€™d consider him a face.

Well chuffed Ciampa is back in proper ring gear. All his ā€˜realā€™ gear has looked quality since the initial turn on Gargano, yet heā€™s spent way too much time knocking about in camo trousers off the market.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Hoping the winner of the four way faces Pat McAfee at the next Takeover to determine the real champ.

From what Pat McAfee has been saying he doesn't have a contract with WWE to do anything else, either in ring or out. Pat is a guy who likes to be busy all the time, his radio show has just moved to Sirius XM, they've done a big sponsorship deal this year, so he doesn't need the money. You have to keep in mind that they did the second part of that angle while Pat was on honeymoon in Florida, that's how busy he likes to be. I'm not saying you won't see him again in some capacity, but he would really like a job commentating on Monday Night Football so that might take priority.Ā 

• Paid Members

After Saturdayā€™s performance, Iā€™d keep him busy by hiring him as both a top performer in NXTĀ and a trainerĀ at the Performance Centre. WhateverĀ heā€™s been watching and/or doing is what all the new recruits should follow. Fucker even threw a punch better than half the trainees do. In fact, justĀ make him head trainer. When has Albert ever cut a promo or ever had a match that was better than the stuff Pat has delivered?

20 minutes ago, Supremo said:

After Saturdayā€™s performance, Iā€™d keep him busy by hiring him as both a top performer in NXTĀ and a trainerĀ at the Performance Centre. WhateverĀ heā€™s been watching and/or doing is what all the new recruits should follow. Fucker even threw a punch better than half the trainees do. In fact, justĀ make him head trainer. When has Albert ever cut a promo or ever had a match that was better than the stuff Pat has delivered?

Japan!

• Paid Members

@Supremo will still be banging on about McAfee in 15 years time. Just like his annual K-Fed reference! šŸ˜†

Crazy how WWE has got to the point where these outsiders come in and just be so much more natural, relatable and memorable than these guys they're carefully crafting for years in the PC/NXT. That's not an original thought but it just hammers it all home.

• Paid Members

My theory is because they haven't spent years in the WWE system and just haven't had the time to have every single movement or reaction micromanaged to the point that nothing is natural and it's all perfectly calculated that people like McAfee and Ronda (who trained at Brian Kendrick's school not the PC) that they just act like real people with real emotions, feeling it in the moment rather than going through every action point in the match script document their producer made them memorizeĀ beforehand like the rest of the roster do.Ā 

Edited by LaGoosh

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

The scrutiny would have to be far greater. As much credit as they deserve for cleaning up the drug situation in the company after Eddie and Benoit, they only did it because the eyes of the world were on them, they were under pressure from media and government and were desperate for good PR, and probably more importantly, less bad PR in the future.

Where is the pressure on them to sort this? Not even the wrestling "press" are that bothered beside the odd dig. They'll ride out any backlash on Twitter or Reddit because it's just noise. The wider audience don't know or care. It's shit but it's how they get away with everything.

You're absolutely right, the pressure does not exist. I don't see what they have to gain by riding this out, are Dream and Theory really THAT valuable? I suspect someone high up is dismissing these allegations outright because they've emerged online, without any real understanding of the wider Speaking Out movement. It's incredibly sad that accusers have been let down in this way.Ā 

• Paid Members

Considering Balorā€™s current character of mid-2000s-Powerslam-reader-using-insider-terms they missed a trick not showing him watching an ROH Crowning a Champion VHS. Wouldā€™ve fit him perfectly.

ā€Unlike you jobbers Iā€™ve seen this type of match before! My Strong Style Tapes connection means Iā€™ll be getting the push and youā€™ll be getting squashed!ā€

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

people like McAfee and Ronda (who trained at Brian Kendrick's school not the PC)Ā 

They mustĀ knowĀ this too. They signed Ronda and never made her train there, the likes of The Rock and The Undertaker might show up once in a blue moon, but when they had to train for in-ring comebacks they were working elsewhere; 'Taker had his private set-up, Rock trained with Curtis Axel. It doesn't look like McAfee trained there. William Regal is about as respected as you can get in WWE, particularly around NXT and the PC, yetĀ his son was working holiday camps, not sent straight to the Performance Center, when there's no doubt he could have pulled sufficient strings to make that happen. Countless wrestlers have been told to go off and get experience elsewhere first.

The PC is an incredible set-up, with some of the best trainers in the world, but it's a finishing school. It's all about taking wrestlers from diverse backgrounds and putting them into a system where they can all work TV, and all work against each other - makes perfect sense from a promoter's perspective, you want to know that every combination of wrestlers you have will be able to work together without any difficulty, but it just means everything becomes homogenised and nobody stands out.

Some of my favourite things in wrestling are when you see a match announced and you can't even quite picture what it would look like, because the wrestlers involved are so drastically different in style - you'd get it in late '90s WCW B-shows when you'd have matches like Fit Finlay vs. Psicosis or Marty Jannetty vs. Yuji Nagata thrown together, and you get it in modern indie wrestling when matches like Orange Cassidy vs. Minoru Suzuki are announced, but WWE's system means that you absolutelyĀ neverĀ get that with the rank and file roster. The only people I can think of that would elicit that kind of thought process in WWE are, as always, big enough stars to sit outside of the system - the Brock Lesnars and Goldbergs of the world.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Pat McAfee trained with Rip Rogers I believe.Ā 

For an afternoon I think. Pat has told the story of buying his wrestling ring while drunk, having to get someone to help him put it up and then paying Rip Roger's to show him the basics of bumping. I don't recall lots of Rip Roger's matches but I'm guessing not a lot of dives from theĀ turnbuckle to the outside. If I'm wrong my apologies.Ā 

He obviously had more training from someone but I'd imagine it was either near where he lives or in his own ring.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Ā 'Taker had his private set-up,

I listened to Ricky Starks on the AEW podcast earlier and thought it was interesting he was one of the guys Taker trained with when he was preparing for the Cena Mania match.

I dunno what surprised me more, the fact Taker was training with relatively unknown guys back then or the fact he bothered training at all for a 2-minute squash.