NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I’ve watched that Pat/Cole thing back about five times.

What does it say about this company, the way they do things and their system of talent development that a guy can waltz in like that, act like a bog-standard prick and instantly be the second most effective heel behind Randy Orton in the whole company?

Everything he does is how normal humans actually act in a real fight. Bouncing up and down, acting the hard man, shouting his head off. There isn’t a better example of just how much they’ve lost their way.

I’m fascinated as to how this has slipped through the cracks and came off so great. Nine times out of ten McAfee would be Gronk, playing the overproduced, loathsome babyface with them absolutely oblivious to how to make it work. 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Pat's been involved in wrestling for years though hasn't he? Swear I read he was doing stuff back in football days and a bit before, angles here and there. He absolutely seems to get wrestling, where Grink gets money and playing up to a character. 

• Paid Members

I like Pat McAfee, if you watch any of his show on YouTube he has been a wrestling fan for a long time. He has talked in the past about getting drunk and buying a wrestling ring on Ebay and about doing a little bit of training. 

What they have done is let his natural personality come out, which is something they seem to be particularly loathe to do for any of their actual wrestlers. Like Supremo says though. Needs to be a 5 minute match, not 45 as the payoff to the angle. 

• Paid Members

Back to Earth with a bump this week. Hate Karrion Kross and the fireball angle looked shit.

Was enjoying Drake v Killion until the UE interference for no reason. Rest of the show was pretty forgettable until the main. Poor Kushida, is another one they have bought in and just done nothing of note with. Surprised in the winner. Also, I like his voice, but his actual commentary.... Mauro is the worst

I liked the fireball. Well, the surprise of it anyway. Not sure the Keith stuff after was great, but appreciate them trying to take it up a level.

Nice to see Drake again and was hoping that was going to be a big upset story but yeah just ended up being an angry Adam Cole segment instead. I'm okay with that but did feel a bit sorry for the other guys.

I enjoy Kushida when he's around but I often forget he's even there.

Gotta say, I love what I've seen of Santos Escobar an his boys so far. The hottest, coolest looking trio since the Shield. Enjoying Keith Lee upping his promo game too. His soft, flowery delivery was really dragging down an otherwise good act, nice to see him seemingly turning things around and showing some intensity.

Watching this though, it's easy to see many have fallen out of love with NXT. Shitty distraction finishes, needlessly convoluted match builds and sloppy heat angles that make your babyface look shit. Keith Lee getting fireballed didn't reach the lows that Seth weeping and cowering to Lesnar/The Fiend did, or Becky weeping and doing acting after being misted/bitten, but it's the same kind of super awkward, drawn-out melodrama that makes me stop sympathising with a babyface and just makes them look pathetically weak. Don't start it with Keith.

Also, lol at Drake Maverick. One of the biggest stories in NXT all year and he's already been reduced to an utter nothing, in a filler match that barely got out of split screen and used as a means to get the bad Cole/Mcafee thing over.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I'm not sure I'd feel weak if I was upset at someone fireballing me to be honest. Yeah they definitely didn't need to drag out the aftermath of it so much, but I thought it got Kross over as a dirty player and was meant to build sympathy for Lee. The idea in itself wasn't terrible, as with a lot of things in WWE. The execution could've been better.

Didn't Kross destroy Ciampa with his bare hands and generally been on a tear? I don't watch it much so i might have missed something, but Kross using fire/magic tricks seemed like a stunt just to get people talking rather than something that fits his character. Reminds me of when Shayna Baszler was a vampire for a week.

• Paid Members

I know it’ll connect with certain fans because it’s a shoot~! but they really shouldn’t have made Adam Cole being short part of the storyline. Since then, it’s all I think about watching him. If anything, it feels like he’s shrinking with each passing appearance, when I almost never thought about it before.

3 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Is this from last night's NXT or Fan Axxess? 

022_NXT_08122020EJ_00748--700b8e3eba31c3

That's ridiculous. I knew Cole was ickle, but purely because he was the poster child for UE so I'd seen more of him. Seeing him next to the rest, there's not 14 stone between them.

Thing is, I absolutely think they should play into it, but get a load more guys their size together as a proper swarm of tiny cunts. Have Adam Cole crowd-surf in on an army of vanilla indie wrestlers, and have any momentum built by the face squashed under a pile-on of dozens of them. Just don't push them individually as anything other than opportunistic horrible little fire ants.

Edited by CavemanLynn
Too many buts. Ai.