NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Imagine Adam Cole being heavier than Jon Jones or Daniel Cormier when they weighed in for a Light Heavyweight title fight. 

Damnit, Dopper beat me to it. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

To be fair, the high-paced spotty style of today, it's a miracle many of them can get near 200lbs.

I do blame lack of self-awareness a bit. It comes from a generation looking back at guys like Owen Hart as a "high flyer", ignoring that he had a 56in chest and was built like a rugby player.

1 minute ago, CavemanLynn said:

To be fair, the high-paced spotty style of today, it's a miracle many of them can get near 200lbs.

I do blame lack of self-awareness a bit. It comes from a generation looking back at guys like Owen Hart as a "high flyer", ignoring that he had a 56in chest and was built like a rugby player.

I tell you what, I have so much more respect for the high-fliers of yesteryear when you see what they were doing at the size they were doing it. 

If RVD, 2 Cold Scorpio and Owen Hart were around today they'd have to be doing chokeslams and bearhugs. 

2 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I tell you what, I have so much more respect for the high-fliers of yesteryear when you see what they were doing at the size they were doing it. 

If RVD, 2 Cold Scorpio and Owen Hart were around today they'd have to be doing chokeslams and bearhugs. 

RVD's a bit of a stretch there, I think.

You look back at surfer Sting, billed at 270lbs. Even if you factor in a bit of exaggeration and say he's legit 240lbs, that's still a 17 stone bloke hurling himself over the top rope at you from 8 feet in the air. It's terrifying.

And don't get me started on Scotty Steiner.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Don’t they do that for everyone who weighs under 205lbs legit and are worth marketing so they don’t have to put them on 205 Live? 

Nah. They just do that for everyone. Everyone’s weight is exaggerated.

3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Nah. They just do that for everyone. Everyone’s weight is exaggerated.

Adam Cole being 6ft and 210lbs is as believable as Andre being 7ft5in and 600lbs when he took the big slam in the Silverdome, brother. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

RVD's a bit of a stretch there, I think.

You look back at surfer Sting, billed at 270lbs. Even if you factor in a bit of exaggeration and say he's legit 240lbs, that's still a 17 stone bloke hurling himself over the top rope at you from 8 feet in the air. It's terrifying.

And don't get me started on Scotty Steiner.

*Searches for gif of Earthquake catching Big Boss Man from a top rope crossbody*

Thought it was an unusually busy thread for NXT. Should've guessed it was just moaning about something haha

Anyway..

Candice LeRae and Mia Yim worked well together. Those sorts of matches can often turn quite sloppy but I thought they didn't overdo it too much, and had just the right amount of heat. I'm actually enjoying the LeRae/Gargano heel work now, but maybe that's just me. Just feels like they've hit their stride, especially away from Ciampa.

Reed/Nese was pretty random but I like both guys so didn't mind it too much.

Robert Stone cracks me up every week and I don't even feel guilty about it. Obviously he's nowhere near the level of Bobby Heenan but it's that ridiculous heel manager type of antics that works really well when it's done right.

Swerve and Gargano - typical Johnny match really? I don't mind it but I'd rather see both men in real feuds.

Legado del Fantasma = one of the best things NXT has developed in recent times. And the fact they worked so well as a faction in the match was fucking brilliant. So they should. Always annoys me when teams like that don't actually display any kind of teamwork. Maverick will get his redemption in time but the story is always in the chase.

Not sure how Santana Garrett is still employed. She reminds me of someone AEW would hire. Been a Mercedes Martinez fan for years and it's almost a shame she's come in so late to the game as I'm not really sure where she fits in right now. A badass heel challenger for someone maybe. Just need to build her up properly.

Both Cameron Grimes and Damian Priest have clearly defined characters which I really love, rather than just cookie cutter indy guys who can wrestle well. Really been into both guys recently.

Winner Takes All Match - well they did a decent build with the legends talking about it, and the hype music before they came out etc. I can't help but feel it needed a little bit more build over the weeks before it got to this stage, But I suppose all feud pacing etc is out of the window at the moment with the current climate. As many have said in here and the AEW thread, they can't really tread water forever.

Lee as champ is a great choice. Feels like the right time. I'm hoping they don't transition to Kross too quickly, but I'm really looking forward to their feud.

All in all I'm a lot happier with where NXT has been lately than in quite a while. They've managed to develop a lot of guys and girls across the board. Still some deadweight there but on the whole they've refreshed their talent pool pretty successfully.