NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

That was my favourite Takeover in ages. Genuinely more enjoyable than some of the ones they’ve had in full arenas. No overlong, convoluted melodrama. Just a solid, fun show that didn’t overstay its welcome and provided two really great matches in Balor vs. Priest and the Triple Threat main event.

Io Shirai is incredible. Someone rightly mentioned the other day about how Kairi Sane never felt like she’d properly adjusted to WWE style and always looked to be working to a different rhythm, forever on the cusp of injuring herself. By contrast, the way Io has adapted and became arguably the best women’s wrestler on the planet is something to behold. Jumping off the house was amazing! Shame she crushed Rhea’s head on the finish, but still. Way more excited to see her as champion than Charlotte. I’m still not sure what the point of Charlotte winning the NXT Titile even was. What did it achieve? She didn’t improve ratings on Wednesdays, all she did was kill Ripley’s momentum and pollute even more shows with her terrible act and dull as fuck promos. I assume they’re sending her back to Raw to take Becky’s spot? No thanks.

I’m still not sold on the act but it was cool to see them go all the way with Kross. What agent allowed that F5 though?!

Damien Priest will never have that good of a match ever again. A true anomaly. Super fun. I guess now Finn’s character is that of Powerslam reader he wanted to try and have a 5 star, blistering performance?

The only truly bad part of the show was the Backlot Brawl. And even then it was nothing to do with the participants themselves. Those fucking camera cuts, man. Like watching a migraine. Also, that thing with the Uber was peak shit WWE comedy. It was so bad and painfully unfunny that I expected some type of twist or punchline to come later, but no. An Uber simply arrived. That was the joke.

Good show overall though. It’s amazing what a difference changing the set and doing some fun retro skits and graphics can have. Hopefully they make this an annual thing. Todd Pettengill and a show that only goes two and a half hours. Oh, how I missed thee.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

First time I've seen much of NXT for months. Thought the intro with Pettingill and the entrance set were a fun throwback. 

The whole thing feels stuck in a time warp though. Gargano, Ciampa and Cole feel like they've been around forever, Balor and Flair are back. Tune in for an interview with Triple H. Same dark look other than the house. Same old music out of 2001. It's not moved on in yonks.

On that score, it was great to see them commit to some new acts. Put Kross over huge on Ciampa. Pity there wasn't a crowd to put that over. Would have been a bigger moment. Lee and Shirai going over strong was needed too.

Surprised they went with Shirai but absolutely elated.

Didn't even realise Tom Phillips was on commentary last night till about an hour and a half in, Mauro just doesn’t shut up, I think he interrupted Beth Phoenix around 5 times in the opening 15 minutes of the show too

• Paid Members

Worst thing about the Uber joke was that it made no sense.

"Did somebody call an Uber?"

Er yeah. The account holder whose name, number and photo is on your phone. That's who called it. 

Not really been watching Raw, Smackdown, NXT or 205 Live other than the occasional highlights on YouTube, but I tried watching Money in the Bank and just couldn't without a crowd, I can't get into it at all.

So tried watching last night and even with 30 or however many trainees, just that noise from some people makes it much more watchable - still not great, but it's watchable and naturally I still fell asleep during the 2nd match so will watch the rest this evening, but at least it's watchable.

• Paid Members

Takeover’s, “crowd,” was easily the loosest and most enjoyable of any WWE have had so far. They added tonnes. Actually coming up with chants and sounding like they were having a good time, it was light years ahead of when they started it the other week and it felt like those cardboard cut-out crowds making the same generic sounds you’d get on Smackdown 2 for the PS1.

I didn't enjoy any of the wrestling on that show.

I haven't seen any NXT since probably the last Takeover so was looking forward to this, but it was just so bland. Everything just melted into everything else. Shame but hey ho.

Small highlights: Todd Pettengill, the DX lads with the computer, Scarlett in that cat suit, Shotzi Blackheart eating an ice cream sandwich. 

Watchwrestling'd through bits of this this afternoon. The IYH setting and Backlot brawl were a good sell, but the show was made by some fun matches in the middle. 

Lee vs Gargano and Kross vs Ciampa exceeded my expectations and were refreshingly non-wanky for a Takeover card. Kross/Ciampa in particular was an awesome shot of violence with a neat finish. Balor vs Priest was fairly cracking too, Balor's still massively overrated (shit Jordan Devlin) but he and Priest have surprisingly great chemistry. Priest is the most unintentionally hilarious man in wrestling. Was pissed at the end when they cut it off before you could see him respond to pointy Finn's pew pews with his arrow blast.

Fucking hell, the Backlot brawl was all kinds of terrible, though. The camera cuts, the (lack of) lighting and the fact that they left the commentary track in made it unwatchable for me. After the 'joke' with the Uber driver I had to skip it. Couldn't be arsed with the main event either, Charlotte Flair cooling off everything she touches is old and I'm generally sick of three-way matches.

Old man DX still struggling with the computer was a guilty laugh.

Kudos to Keith Lee for straight up plastering Black lives matter over his gear. Has anybody other than him in the company even acknowledged it yet?

7 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Surprised they went with Shirai but absolutely elated.

Didn't even realise Tom Phillips was on commentary last night till about an hour and a half in, Mauro just doesn’t shut up, I think he interrupted Beth Phoenix around 5 times in the opening 15 minutes of the show too

Careful don't upset poor ol Mauro... 

Near future call ups need to be Dream, Gargano and Undisputed Era.

Riddle and Dijakovic have been moved

I know that rips out a lot of guys from the roster but its time to make room for Kross, Priest, Lee, etc maybe move over some UK guys, Balor and Ciampa will be the anchors of the crew.

All this post apocalypse not right now