NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Pat McAfee was fantastic - they fucked up by showing him springboarding to the top rope and moonsaulting in his training montages, because that backflip and vertical leap would have got an even bigger pop out of me had I not been expecting them. Some real obnoxious heel swagger in his promo, too. Hopefully they keep him around in some capacity, and if they do, he doesn't just fade into being a face in the crowd, as they could have something genuinely special with him.

The match was - mostly - structured well enough that Adam Cole never looked weak even when on defence; McAfee was outclassed every time it came down to straight wrestling, and only got on top through shithousing and using his size to his advantage. It was an interesting test case in Adam Cole as a babyface, for sure.

Didn't really care about the rest of the show - the main event was maybe my least favourite Keith Lee match to date, and Kross continues to do nothing for me. The ladder match was fine, but I was constantly distracted by not wanting to see Velveteen Dream and, to a much lesser extent, not wanting Johnny Gargano to win. A solid finish, and a pleasing lack of too many elaborate "spend five minutes moving furniture" set-ups, but couldn't give a toss about Damien Priest. 

Io vs. Kai was fine. Don't really remember much else about the show.

• Paid Members
On 8/24/2020 at 3:07 PM, BomberPat said:

Pat McAfee was fantastic - they fucked up by showing him springboarding to the top rope and moonsaulting in his training montages, because that backflip and vertical leap would have got an even bigger pop out of me had I not been expecting them. Some real obnoxious heel swagger in his promo, too. Hopefully they keep him around in some capacity, and if they do, he doesn't just fade into being a face in the crowd, as they could have something genuinely special with him.

The match was - mostly - structured well enough that Adam Cole never looked weak even when on defence; McAfee was outclassed every time it came down to straight wrestling, and only got on top through shithousing and using his size to his advantage. It was an interesting test case in Adam Cole as a babyface, for sure.

Didn't really care about the rest of the show - the main event was maybe my least favourite Keith Lee match to date, and Kross continues to do nothing for me. The ladder match was fine, but I was constantly distracted by not wanting to see Velveteen Dream and, to a much lesser extent, not wanting Johnny Gargano to win. A solid finish, and a pleasing lack of too many elaborate "spend five minutes moving furniture" set-ups, but couldn't give a toss about Damien Priest. 

Io vs. Kai was fine. Don't really remember much else about the show.

Pat McAfee was the stand out for sure. Far more competent than expected with a heap of charisma in the ring. 

• Paid Members

Mauro Ranallo should be very worried about his job. Wade Barrett was infinitely better in his position. Great voice. Calm, grounded. All night it felt like he was actually supporting the action rather than distracting from it screaming stuff he’d workshopped the past week.

Nice moment with Breezango. Always had a soft spot for those guys, Fandango in particular.

Four-way sixty minute Iron Man match agented by HBK? I predict a thirty minute overtime! And...lots...of...slow...emotion...

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Having Barrett on commentary was a breath of fresh air. I have missed his dulcet tones and was just yearning for him to deliver some 'bad news'. How did they screw this guy up?

Such a shame about Kross, the guy has star quality, however as I've mentioned before, I just think he's on the wrong brand. 

Shotzi running over Stone with the tank has gotten old, Stone is brilliant in the comedy manager role, but that's the 3rd time that spot has been done.

Santos Escobar is tremendous, what a revelation taking the mask off him was, he's great.

Just cannot get behind Mia Yim at all and I have no idea why, she doesn't come across as a star at all.

I was very excited to hear who the 4 greatest NXT champions were going to be, I thought they may have brought back some of the under utilised stars from Raw or Smackdown along with Balor, but as soon as Gargano was announced, its going to be a bore fest, also, is that 4 heels in the match? Seeing as Ciampa turned against Atlas? Balor has been towing the line of heel / face. I'm not a fan of Iron Man matches at the best of times.

Imagine a cinematic 60 minute Iron Man match agented by HBK? 

They should really be capitalising on their womens division, its the one thing that they definitely have over AEW, they have the talent, but are just focusing on the wrong women. Where is Chelsea Green? Martinez should be the new Shayna instead of dossing about with scrubs, Ripley should be doing a lot better and what the hell happened to Toni Storm? She was built like a star with the UK womens title win and then just disappeared to NXT UK.

All in all, I still enjoy NXT and it is still the only show I watch beginning to end each week, however I can see where they go wrong. Regal seemed over acting on this show.

So not content with having one alleged pedophile on the show, Austin Theory is back on NXT. Hopefully Bronson Reed does get to smack him about a bit.

Speaking of Reed, coming out of Takeover I really do like him, but there’s a lot of work to do there. His selling is pretty poor but that’s something that can be improved with time. There are obvious Samoa Joe comparisons with him, but there’s potential for sure.

Oh yay, 60 minutes of Gargano and Ciampa emoting. Can’t wait for that

• Paid Members

Absolutely astonishing that we still have Gargano vs. Ciampa going on, more than three years after the break-up angle, and with every possible drop of heat squeezed out of it. I actually laughed out loud watching TakeOver when they promoted Ciampa's return with clips of DIY breaking up.

I suppose you kind of had to because that’s 90% of what he’s been involved with since. He was gone for nearly a year after the break-up angle, then they feuded again throughout the Summer. He got a bit of a rest bite at the end of the year feuding with Velveteen Dream and Aleister Black, but was right back with Gargano again soon afterwards, injuries again, and then back with Gargano upon his return. They might aswell have changed his theme to ‘I Got You Babe’

Edited by WyattSheepMask

15 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So not content with having one alleged pedophile on the show, Austin Theory is back on NXT. Hopefully Bronson Reed does get to smack him about a bit.

I was shocked to see Theory return, particularly since it's happened so soon after Velveteen Dream. Has there even been a public statement on Theory? 

The allegations against both men are so serious that they merit nothing short of the most thorough of investigations, and if you have accusers coming forward saying that no one has spoken to them, I can't see how any internal investigation could be deemed adequate. 

WWE's response to Speaking Out has been pathetic. Sure they've parted ways with a few people, but as the biggest company in wrestling they should be leading the way in saying "here's what we're doing to make things better" - perhaps by introducing mandatory lessons in the performance centre, and yearly refresher sessions on the main roster. Perhaps by introducing an improved reporting system, heck, they could run a public campaign opposing harassment in all forms. 

Perhaps some of these things already happen, and if that's the case they should make that clear. They're not obligated to of course, but when, at face value, they are standing by two men who have been accused of grooming children they absolutely should be providing reassurances rather than seemingly dismissing allegations through a distrust of the internet. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

WWE's response to Speaking Out has been pathetic. Sure they've parted ways with a few people, but as the biggest company in wrestling they should be leading the way in saying "here's what we're doing to make things better"

The scrutiny would have to be far greater. As much credit as they deserve for cleaning up the drug situation in the company after Eddie and Benoit, they only did it because the eyes of the world were on them, they were under pressure from media and government and were desperate for good PR, and probably more importantly, less bad PR in the future.

Where is the pressure on them to sort this? Not even the wrestling "press" are that bothered beside the odd dig. They'll ride out any backlash on Twitter or Reddit because it's just noise. The wider audience don't know or care. It's shit but it's how they get away with everything.

Gutted for Kross. His build up has been one of the best things about NXT lately so to have that cut so short is a real disappointment. But yeah maybe having him come back on Raw or Smackdown wouldn't be the worst idea.

Definitely time to give it to Finn and restore him a bit at least. The others don't need it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Absolutely astonishing that we still have Gargano vs. Ciampa going on, more than three years after the break-up angle, and with every possible drop of heat squeezed out of it. I actually laughed out loud watching TakeOver when they promoted Ciampa's return with clips of DIY breaking up.

I fully expect them to do the Stone Cold/Rock spot where they’re both lying in opposite corners, rising slowly, “dramatically,” walking towards each other as the commentators sell it as some huge deal. Fucking hell. At least one if not both of them need to be drafted badly.

I’d actually not heard or had forgotten about the Austin Theory allegations. I think he’s so generic I forget he exists as soon as he leaves my screen. What a show NXT is becoming though! Nonce central. Might as well team him up with Velveteen.