NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

4 minutes ago, Statto said:

Charlotte Flair happened.

It wasn't just that though was it? Working with her didn't need to mean death to her being a bad ass. After that they just seemed to give up on pushing her as a top tier talent and have her mess around with Robert Stone etc. The Charlotte feud shouldn't have ended her.

• 2 weeks later...

WWE have turned the PC into an NXT version of the Thunderdome for tonight and the weekly show going forward dubbed the Capitol Wrestling Center in homage to the original name of the company. Only difference is as well as the video crowd, there’s also going to be an in-house crowd of 100 people comprised of talent, family and fans

• Paid Members

NXT version of thunderdome looked like the t shirt wall at HMV. 

First show I’ve watched in full in months. Really good show overall. Loved the main event, but I just love Kyle O’Reilly in general. 

Having Beth Phoenix and Wade Barrett on commentary while showing Vic Joseph ringside at the table with a woman who looks like Sasha Banks (couldn’t they find a blonde wig?) and a bloke who was clearly not Wade was just bizarre. Why bother? They could have just moved the commentary desk elsewhere. 

16 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Tonight’s Takeover is apparently available through traditional PPV, so perhaps WWE AEW testing the waters for possible changes to PPVs on the network.

Normal main roster big shows have always still been available on Ppv as well as the network have they not? 

• Paid Members

Only just started watching Takeover, however, the look and feel definitely felt like the Takeovers of old, the gritty feel was there, glad they didn't go for a carbon copy of the Thunderdome. The chainlink fence and seperate pods was a good touch. 

Mauro no longer being on commentary is a huge improvement and the addition of Wade Barrett with his gravelly Lancashire accent is a brilliant move. 

4 hours ago, Louch said:

Normal main roster big shows have always still been available on Ppv as well as the network have they not? 

They are, but I couldn’t tell you the last time they promoted them as such.

Outside of a couple of matches, I haven’t watched NXT since the last Takeover, a mixture of lack of interest and not having the time, but I knew they’d recap anything that I’d need to know.

The Capital Wrestling Centre, while seemingly lifted straight from Fight Club Pro’s Project Mayhem, is at least different and I quite liked it.

The commentary - wow, so much more bearable with Ranallo gone. Vic Joseph isn’t great, but he’s not bad either. I had read recently that Nigel McGuiness has returned to the 205 Live desk and feared he might be back stinking up NXT, but I’m glad Wade is back (I’d read that he was but hadn’t heard him) and Beth’s still Beth, much like Joseph not great but could be much worse. No idea who the two people sat next to Joseph were though.

“Fight Forever!” can fuck right off. If you want to watch Johnny Gargano take on Damien Priest forever and a day then you need sitting down for a long chat.

Enjoyed the women’s match, which says a lot because I usually can’t stand Candice LaRae. Even Johnny Gargano trying to ruin it with his acting couldn’t take away from a very good match.

Toni Storm hasn’t wrestled since March. That’s a good 7 months with which to maybe learn how to cut a promo without looking at her cue cards, which she blatantly was, and not sounding like a robot. She achieved neither of these. 

Ember Moons back having achieved absolutely fuck all in the last 2 & a half years. In all fairness I was quite happy to see that those biker vignettes were for her and not the rumoured return to NXT of Bo Dallas, which I think would’ve turned me off the show completely.

They did there best to make Balor/O’Reilly seem a big match by using the Cage Lowering music in the entrances, but this was the epitome of a placeholder defence. Having said that, fair play to them not just booking another match between Balor and Cole, which would’ve been the easier option, and I‘m assuming this is giving O’Reilly something to do because Bobby Fish is injured (again). A decent match, but nothing too memorable outside of the ref putting the belt on upsidedown on Finn at the end

Edited by WyattSheepMask

From what HHH said on a call other week, the singles push for O'Reilly was to be more slowburn and organic but roster changes due to the few positive tests meant things had to change quicker than planned.

I did wonder why they booked a Takeover with few weeks build but guess it was timed to go with new arena.

Was odd having UE, Ciampa etc healthy but not work the show but also good to use new guys more like Kushida and Cruisers.

Draft wise it could be a decent idea to keep Kyle on NXT, Cole Raw and Fish/Strong on SD, let them branch out but stay a unit for future storylines