NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Glad I watched Halloween Havoc. It had the fun feel of Dusty's NXT rather than the drab affair the show's become. They weren't messing about - the set dressing and the make-up looked fantastic .

Gargano vs Priest was pretty ace. First time I've really given a shit about Johnny's character. Him rolling around in a deflated pumpkin and super kicking skeletons sure beats the sub-HBK bollocks. Priest isn't even a guilty pleasure anymore, he's really good. His entrance looked awesome!

The Haunted House match more than cemented Cameron Grimes as my favourite wrestler on the planet. It was over the top, hammy as fuck, and I loved every moment of it. I don't know who else could've pulled that off, especially the ridiculous/glorious shower scene, where the shit scared Grimes was horny as hell all the sudden.  "Oooh! What we got here?" Removes sweaty waistcoat. "I didn't realise Lumis had a sister!" Grimes randomly hitting a zombie with the cave-in was the funniest thing I've seen all year. Best match of Dexter's career.

Ripley vs Gonzalez was a terrific hoss fight. Even after all of NXT's "can't miss" prospects have been so thoroughly missed, I still have hope for Rhea.

Not quite sure what to make of Pat McAfee's ragtag bunch, but I'm all in on heel Pete Dunne and Danny Burch being elevated. With Dunne back, hopefully this means Zack Gibson will turn up somewhere soon.

Switched off at the main to be honest. Totally done with ladder matches. They've run them dry in front of no fans. Bit gutted Candice can't win the big one.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

NXT seem to be firing again, good episode this week as a follow up to Halloween Havoc. The comedy aspect is on point at the moment, from Cameron Grimes running from the ref, to Drake and Killian with their ridiculous music. Then you have Pat McAfee being the MVP again, especially his face when Pete kicked the door into Killian's head.

The women are having good matches, however Shotzi Blackheart needs acting classes. 

Even Gargano is enjoyable at the moment, then comes the main event to ruin everything. As soon as Velveteen Dreams music hits, it just takes you right out of it all. I feel for Ciampa, he looks amazing, deserves a lot more than dossing with Dream.

• Paid Members

Pat McAfee and THE LADS have completely turned this show around. From an aimless, meandering show trying to pop ratings with endless gimmick matches, to having one of the best acts in years. Absolutely phenomenal segment from my new favourite faction.

Agreed though. They need to just admit defeat and get rid of Velveteen. He hangs around this show like a bad smell of nonce. I don’t see how anything is ever going to change.

• Paid Members

It's hard to enjoy someone's in ring work when they are an alleged Peadophile. No matter how good he is, you just cannot even get slightly invested in the guy, especially playing the character her does. Austin Theory is another, however they seem to have hooked him from TV for the time being. 

34 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I haven't watched much NXT recently but the guy was fire, what has happened? Is it just the fact that he's a nonce, or has he stalled in ring too?

You how Chris Benoit was pretty good then people went off him when it turned out he was a murderer? Similar situation here

He could be have the best match ever, but being a nonce is a stumbling block with normal people.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's just that my perception of him has changed and my brain doesn't want to view him in a positive light, but it seems to me like Dream knows he's done for since he's been back.

He just doesn't seem to be trying like he used to - I just don't think he'd have rocked up to a match wearing a basic black t-shirt & jeans like he did this week before (although admittedly he did shed the first t-shirt to show a more trademark cutoff shirt later in the match).

I dunno, something just seems off to me.

• Paid Members

Velveteen Dream vs. Johnny Gargano (c) for the North American Championship was one of my favourite NXT matches of the last few years. The eccentric, over the top, slightly unusual character was what made him different and got him over. Since he's been back it seems as though he's lost that edge...I don't know if it's a conscious thing or not because of the nature of the allegations but he seems to be going through the motions. As a result everything that made him a superstar has gone. He's just "there." Which makes me wonder why WWE kept him around in the first place. 

• Paid Members

Leon Ruff celebrating with Priest and the title falling down as he raised his arms made me chuckle. Nice, unexpected title change that was something different to the usual. 

Really good video package of Rhea Ripley. She just oozes star quality, how she isn't the main woman throughout the company is beyond me. 

Cameron Grimes is my favourite thing in wrestling not named Roman Reigns at the moment, The guy is hilarious in everything he does. Didn't see any of his stuff as Trevor Lee in Impact and when they signed him i didn't really like the look of him, however he has his character nailed down and it tremendous in doing so. 

EDIT: This from Triple H is great.

Edited by Nick James